“Caring and great staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Annie's Place Adelaide Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Adelaide
Annie's Place Adelaide Hostel
You added Annie's Place Adelaide Hostel to your Saves list
239 Franklin St, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Adelaide, Australia
“Caring and great staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

With no where else to stay Annie's place was our last choice but it was a good choice with very friendly staff that made us feel welcome the moment we walked in. Although it may be a little old the place has a very comfy feel. Its a very nice place if you like that kind of antique feel. Highly recommend it if you're wanting somewhere cheap to stay very close to the city centre.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Where do I start on reviewing this awful hostel???

I have never been treated so badly by hostel staff EVER in my whole 20 years of backpacking!
The place is so dirty it crawls (literally) our room was totally infested with bedbugs!

When reporting this to the manager (Fran) our claims were dismissed as lies and we were told that they were just mosquito bites!
When confronted again with the problem, she made us wash all our clothes and sprayed our bags and beds with insect killer, the room was not properly fumigated by a professional as it is supposed to be by law!
After this we were told the room was ok to sleep in again (lies)!
After 2 more nights of restless sleep and itchiness we could no longer stand it, the staff refused to move us to a different room and do anything about the problem, so we had no choice but to sleep 2 of us on 1 sofa in the communal area!
I the morning we were kicked out of the hostel because we had waned other people in the hostel of the bedbug problem!
The duty manager who kicked us out was a REALLY rude Irish woman who made my girlfriend cry by shouting at her, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO GET RID OF BEDBUGS?" She screamed into my girlfriends face!!! I have never been shouted at by member of staff anywhere... ever, I could believe what was happening! At this point I was glad I wouldn't be spending another second in Annie's Place, it claims to be the friendliest in town (What a Joke)!!!

I have never been treated so badly anywhere in the hospitality industry than I have in this dump, check out the photo's I have posted of how clean the room was when we first arrived, this is the kind of dirtiness you can expect as the rooms are not cleaned on a daily or even weekly basis!!!

I never write reviews on places, but I feel we were treated so badly and unfairly that this was too much to ignore.

I strongly advise anyone considering to stay at this hell hole to rethink their decision and pay a few extra dollar's and stay somewhere more welcoming.

WOST HOSTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Made for good stories in retrospect but Annie's Place was a very average experience. I reserved a twin room weeks in advance but, because they recorded the booking on the wrong dates, we were assigned to rather grotty (old food, floor covered with bags and clothes) dorm rooms for our first night, with the promise of a twin room for the next day. No twin room eventuated, although each day we were promised one.

Rooms didn't have fly-screens so I returned to Perth covered in mosquito bites. The windows to the rooms at the back of the property also open on to the courtyard..

Room Tip: Rooms at the back open on to courtyard so are noisy if you want the windows open on a hot night...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I "lived" here for over 2 month, it was great. I didn't intend to stay for so long, but i just loved the hostel, staff, the rooms and the food. I was backpacker back than and i can truly say, that was the best hostels i have stayed in. That is why i decided to work for them. 2 months in housekeeping. It was a while back i have to admit but will go back when i come to Adelaide.
Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012 via mobile

Very Close to CBD and the central bus station. Train station (Ghan train) is 2 km.
Nice old style building, large rooms (in the old part of the hostel), breakfast is included, good value for money.
Little bar is available, but still it's a nice and relaxed place (no big party hostel).

• Stayed December 2011
Tugun, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed there during 2010 Christmas and I'm quite surprised with the amount of poor reviews it had as in general we had a good experience.

The place is probably not the most clean you will find but it was alright, we had no issues with bugs. The look of the place is very nice although the building is old. The common area is inviting and I felt comfortable most of the time. We had a couple of activities in the common areas which were nice also.

The staff were friendly to us, not all of them, and all the time I must say, but in general they were nice to us and helpful.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Darwin, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

if u don't want to end in a hospital, don't stay there ! the rooms are bed bugs infected, you can find more similar stories in other reviews on the internet. the building is about 140 years old, and thats really how it looks like, filthy in any way. it would be better to take an XXL Caterpiller and just run over it ...
ps. the staff is very rude and useless !
worst place i ever stayed in 25 years of travelling

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Annie's Place Adelaide Hostel? Share your experiences!