“[heart warming]” 4 of 5 stars

239 Franklin St, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“[heart warming]”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

heart warming place to stay.
clean and feel
really comfortable to stay.
Love the courtyard which we could chill at the morning and night.
highly recommended!

Room Tip: +4AUD u can stay in the 4beds room dorm instead of 10beds room dorm.which u have your own bathroom i...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Warsaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I loved it from the moment I entered the room. It was quite big, with a decent bathroom fitted with a real bathtub instead of a shower:-) Free toast, jam and coffee for breakfast was also a good thing. When you add friendly staff and sensible location, you get a perfect place to stay in Adelaide.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I have stayed at Annie's place in the past and apart from finding that the staff could be very rude and unfriendly i really have no complaints.
However if it is now as bad as a lot of people are saying then why has it not been closed down ?
By the sound of it a lot of people are angered enough to write a bad review on this place but not angered enough to contact the organisations that have the power to close it down or atleast force them to clean up their act.
When i first read the reviews on here i had to check that we were actually talking about the same place that i had stayed at in the past.
Infact i had planned to stay there again within the next month and after reading about bed bugs and damp walls etc i thought there is no way i am going back there.
But then i decided, No i will go back just to see if what most people have written about this place is true.
At the risk of being eaten alive by bed bugs and catching food poisoning or whatever other ghastly thing that it appears may happen to me i will conduct my own investigation of this place and will get to the bottom of this once and for all as this hardly sounds like the Annies Place in Adelaide that i have stayed at.

Room Tip: Ok i am off to Annies on a secret mission with pen and paper in hand to get to the bottom of all thi...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed in a double room which wasn't clean and the curtains didn't close. It was basic but big room. Everybody there was hiding behind laptops and ipads, not very welcoming.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Read these reviews and so happy I wasn't alone thinking what a dump! If I could give it a ZERO I would. Night one I thought there must be mossies in the room, by night two I was told by members of my tour group that I have been bitten by bedbugs. Upon my return to the room I packed, gave their keys back (booked to stay for over a week) and told the young desk clerk about what I suspected they had on the mattresses. Blank look of course. No help offered to get out of there, NO apology and they knew I was pissed off big time. Some older male who worked there did come over to speak with me while I stood on the sidewalk waiting for a taxi. Was really surprised after I told him what had bitten me and showed him the bites. His words: "Oh I thought we had gotten rid of it. We got new mattresses."
I booked here as I wanted an adventure - you read abt so much fun at backpackers, I wanted to do something different and cheap. I felt completely alone, alienated there although there were older people there as well. No one spoke with you, you sat by yourself, ate by yourself. I did try to be friendly and mingle.
The building itself is quite beautiful and quant. I saw it on the internet and booked via them. But so true abt the damp and darkness. Our room was dark, no windows and the bathroom was so so so small it was shocking. The floor was wet all the time, the water went onto the carpet into the room, the shower dripped the whole night !!!!!!!!! I placed a towel on the shower floor just to shut it up!!!!
I am so mad about this dump and hope the council closes it down, because it is a health risk to visitors.
I ended up going to a hotel and paying for one night what I paid for a week at Annie's, but I didn't care !!!!
I was bitten all over my legs, arms, hands and torso. I spend a day in a daze as a result of anti-histamine. The itching drove me mad and the scabs afterwards was embarressing to explain to people. Until then I thought bedbugs only existed in the nursery rhyme ! I only recently joined Tripadvisor and my visit to Annie's was in March 2006. I see that nothing has changed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

If you're looking for a lively hostel with lots of things going on and opportunities to make friends then this is a good base - they had events on most evenings.

Rooms were adequate, reasonably clean but was literally just a bed and a chair with no other furnishings. The bathroom was clean enough but wasn't spotless.

The communal kitchen was well equipped with free tea and coffee making facilities and most importantly, it was clean.

The things that really let this hostel down though were that the staff were quite rude and not particularly welcoming. We also felt severely untrusted with numerous signs reminding us that CCTV was making sure we didn't steal matches, washed up and topped up the hot water boiler.

Finally, although it sounds nit-picky, the pillows were TERRIBLE. My partner described it as 'like sleeping on a pillow case filled with nappies'. We wouldn't usually comment upon the pillow quality, but in this case it resulted in a very poor night's sleep!

Overall, a good hostel but a little pretentious and overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

This place was not great. when i arrived the staff were incredibly unhelpful and seemed to not care bout you or your stay. The people staying there were not much better they seemed to snob you off even when u chatted to them.
The rooms werent too bad but bathroom facilities were dirty. had nice courtyard and kitchen area also was not too dirty but a bit of a hike to city centre
Would only be good if travelling with people not solo

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Annie's Place Adelaide Hostel? Share your experiences!