“check your room before you book” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury

You added Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Flinders St, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia (Formerly Medina Grand Adelaide Treasury)   |
Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Salzburg, Austria
“check your room before you book”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I rate this hotel poor for reasons that might be very personal. The hotel as such looks nice, is well positioned, especially for business and must have some nicer (and less expensive) rooms than what we were given. We had tried to book the room 2 weeks in advance but were told there was no vacancy. The same was true for booking websites. So when we arrived in Adelaide we went to the hotel still and asked them for recommendations where to stay. Suddenly a room was available, a Deluxe studio for 200 dollars. A bit steep for 3 nights, but we got persuaded. the biggest mistake was that we accepted and paid for our room right there and then at reception, as they asked us to. Do they have free WIFI, answer was ' yes, no problem'. When we went into the room it was shocking. Obviously this is the kind of room that a single businessman might book when on a longer stay, because to put more than one person in it is a joke. Our room number was 9 - avoid it! Two windows in the room look into walls, the room is off the courtyard and is very noisy, people walking up and down stairs right in front of the bedroom window and very noisy courtyard filter through at night. If you go to sleep only after midnight, this is not a problem as the courtyard is closed then.
The bedroom is so tiny that you need to squeeze into it and out of it. And whoever had the smart idea of putting up a wall right in front of the bed, blocking the view to the TV, needs to be punished. There is a connection for TV on this wall, but no TV installed. So, if you like to watch TV you need to sit on a sofa opposite it, just behind the bedroom wall, BUT this sofa is only for one - it has no backrest, only one 'side'rest. My husband just happened to have a really bad back at the time, so he lent against the siderest sideways, while I set up straight like on an old church bench, leaning against the wall. You would think for 200 dollars a night, you could ask for more. There is a small kitchen with pots and microwave and sink and fridge... and it takes just valuable space away. to call this room a deluxe studio is very far fetched.
The bathroom is another place where you cannot move. OK, they have a washing machine and dryer stacked away in a cupboard there, but what you really need, the sink and the bath tub, are squeezed into tiny spaces, where, again, two people cannot pass each other. There is no light above the bath tub (who on Earth designed this place?!), but the tub is tucked into a tiny niche with wall around half of it. It is dark and tiny - bad! And the sink is the tiniest sink I have ever come across and only one. Again, for 200 dollars a night, please give a proper sink, if you cannot give two. I attach pictures for you to see, so that this doesn't go down as 'a story of a grumpy guest'.
As I mentioned above the bedroom is so tiny that it only fits the bed and 2 small sidetables before you reach the wall (cupboard on one side, window looking out onto wall and staircasse on the other), a wall goes up right in front of the bed, BUT, and that tells me that they knew about size when they designed this room, the wall is open at the sides, just enough so that one person can go through. Otherwise there would be no way to get out of your bedroom or around the bed. Get out of bed, walk out into the TV room, walk around the bedroom wall there and enter via the small opening on the other side. The only other option is to walk over the bed to get from one side to the other. how stupid - inconvenient - unfriendly.
I know it is difficult to do a conversion of an old building into a hotel, but this is the worst I have come across.

The WIFI was also annoying. Free WIFI as suggested on check in is a daily 30 minutes in the lobby lounge - no connection in your room unless you pay ridiculous charges! It would have been a 'mere' 60 dollars for 3 days! For that reason we never ate breakfast at the hotel, we went to nearby cafes, all with free WIFI for as long as you like. The first night we tried to hook up to the hotel free WIFI in the lobby, but the connection was very poor. I kept losing the connection and always had to sign back in again. After 30 minutes were up we had gotten nowhere with our email.

IF you are a regular businessman you surely know about these 'do not touch rooms', but if you come, as we did, as a one off, then take great care in choosing the room. Don't let reception talk you into just any one. There are bound to be cheaper and better rooms in this place! We were taken for a ride! Very unhappy for that reason.

Room Tip: check your room before you book! this is a conversion of an old building, so rooms are not standard...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben S, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear HOltravel,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience. It is our goal to exceed our guests expectations and unfortunately we have failed ourselves on this occassion. It is a shame that you did not contact a member of our team to see what we could have done to make you more comfortable including a room move. I shall be sure to take your feedback on board and share it with the team and ensure we take some learnings from it. Once again, I apologise that you did not enjoy your stay.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Nicely renovated heritage building. Stayed in one bed studio on ground floor overlooking inner courtyard. A$155/night. Good room size and amenities. Friendly housekeeping staff. Bar in part of building spills out into internal courtyard- feels like you are staying at a corporate boozing joint as you use courtyard to get to reception. Lame wifi pricing lets this place down. Car parking two blocks away and 6 storeys up. A$14/24 hrs access.Would return for location if I was pressed for time.

• Stayed December 2012
Ben S, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear DuncJohn,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I am glad that you were comfortable in your Apartment. I am sorry that you were affected by the bar, it is a popular venue for Christmas drinks as it is a lovely outdoor setting. I am sorry that you found the internet pricing an issue as well.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Yet another example of a posh hotel with great facilities yet considers its guests as portable ATMs to be relieved of their money by charging $29.95 per day for wifi access. Boycott any hotel which treats its guests so poorly.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Billpritchard,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry that you felt that you were being ripped off. Our internet is provided by a third party company and their charges are advertised before you confirm access. We provide 30 minutes complimentary wi fi to all our guests every 24 hours in our lounge. I am sorry that you deemed the internet charges at the hotel to be an act of "treating you poorly", as that is certainly not how we operate.

adeliade
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Great 3 day break room was spacious and very clean. room at back of hotel which made it very quiet.
Staff was helpful and very frendily. Love the pool and way they have mixed old ad new love the pictures.
Great place to stay close to everything.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tracy A,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am thrilled that you likes the pictures throughout the Hotel, I think they really contribute to the unique history of this beautiful treasury building.

I wish you a Merry Christmas.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Medina Grand Treasury, it is in a central downtown location and an easy walk to Rundle Mall, numerous restaurants, and the Museum of South Australia, We even walked to the wonderful Botanic Gardens from here. The hotel is in the old Treasury building; it has been tastefully updated while retaining original features such as the high ceilings, crown moldings and hardwood stair railings. We appreciated the convenience of having a kitchen, including a French Press coffee pot. On the recommendation of TripAdvisor reviewers, we opted for a courtyard facing room to avoid street noise. The downside of this was noise from the courtyard bar in the evenings. The other reason I am not rating this hotel as a five is the charge of $16 AU/hr for internet access. The hotel offers 30 minutes a day of WiFi access, but only in the lounge area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ben S, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Sauropod,

Thank you for your comments. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry you were disturbed by noise from the Bar and that you did not agree with the internet charges. As you mentioned we do offer 30 minutes free wi-fi in our executive lounge where you can also read your complimentary newspaper.

I hope you have a wonderful festive period and we look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Grand Adelaide Treasury on your next visit.

Wollongong, NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at the Treasury and enjoyed it immensely. It was well situated with an easy walk to shops and restaurants. The full kitchen meant that we could take advantage of shopping at the nearby Central Markets. A range of Asian eateries was also within a few blocks. A very comfortable bed, good facilities and helpful staff added to the great impression.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JWDB,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and managed to sample some of the fabulous fresh delicacies from the beautiful Central Markets only a few minutes walk from the Hotel.

Goodger street has a fabulous strip of fantastic Restaurants and Bars and is only as you mentiones a short walk from the tranquil location of the Hotel.

I hope you enjoy the festive season and look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Grand Adelaide Treasury very soon.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was lovely and everything I could have hoped for. I stayed in the one bedroom apartment and it more than met up to my expectations.

The only problem was the banging in the courtyard at about 5am. It sounded like someone was moving a giant barrel around for about half an hour, and not having regard to how noisy they were being in the process. As the rooms surround a central courtyard, the noise was quite loud and woke me up.

I'm guessing this isn't a regular occurrence (it may have had something to do with the Melbourne Cup festivities during the day) but other than that the service and the room were exceptional.

I notice someone else mentioned the pillows - agree! I ended up working out a combination of hard/flat pillows that worked out for me. Considering the otherwise high standard it was odd they were so uncomfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Occasi0nalWanderer,

Thank you so much for your comments and feedback, it is through feedback from our valued guests that we can continue to look at the operation we run and make improvements at every opportunity.

I am very sorry that your sleep was disturbed, I have made enquiries into what the noise was but as yet to no avail.

I hope you choose to stay again on your next visit to Adelaide.

Hotel Manager

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury? Share your experiences!