“Good location, tired hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Grosvenor Hotel

You added Mercure Grosvenor Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Grosvenor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Ranked #40 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Auckland
“Good location, tired hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Location was superb in terms of proximity to restaurants and transport, but the hotel itself and to a fair extent the service, was tired. The room did not live up to the photos on the website e.g
- the safe could not be locked
- the bathroom mirror was cracked
- one light was out
- the passageways were dark and dingy
- the room was not cleaned that well and it was difficult to get the staff to leave 2 facecloths in the room, one for each person
On arrival the reception was abrupt and bordering on surly and offhand, both from the receptionist and the duty manager and it never really picked up from there.
The crowning glory was the stairs up to the restaurant. My wife has trouble negotiating stairs, and as there was no elevator to the restaurant, we never had a meal there.
As I said, the location is brilliant, but comnpared to every other Accor establishment I have stayed in, this is far and away the worst. Surprising really when I look back at all of the other good experiences I have had with Accor branded hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MercureHotelGM, General Manager at Mercure Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear PoppaAuckland

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor.

Whilst we enjoy a great location I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.

I have reviewed your feedback and will address it with our teams concerned. Whilst an area of the restaurant is located up some stairs we offer both the restaurant and the bar menu on the ground floor, I am sorry if this was not made clear to you.

I hope that you remember your trip to SA fondly and that you may give us an opportunity to better assist you in the future.

Ben Patten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

all of the staff were great with the kids, they all knew it was the pagaent and that the kids would be excited - nothing was too much trouble and the car parking was fab,
thanks! we would definately staff at this hotel again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Toria79

Thank you for your lovely post on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here and I will let our team know of your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Gawler, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

All was fine except the noise coming from the street outside our window. Garbage trucks, street sweepers etc kept waking us up at all hours of the night. Service of counter staff is always excellent. The location is good. The parking is way overpriced concidering the cramped spaces and you have to park yourself. Should be free to members.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MhakDK

Thank you for your Trip Advisor post.

I pleased that overall your experience was good. I am sorry that you experienced some street noise but unfortunately our great location means that there is more activitly as a result. I have noted your feedback about car-parking and will review whether we can offer free parking to Accor Le Club members.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This room was the worst I had in a western country, only Ukraine can beat that. There was a compressor or something simular outside which started often duroing the night. I complained straigth after I occupied the room but been told that is the room I booked. I thought as a member of the Accor Club you expierience a higher priority. I ll review the membership after one year. If I have a expierience loke this again I certainly will not renew the membership.

Kind regards

Walter

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Good Morning Walter

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that your experience was poor but do not agree this is the worst hotel outside the Ukraine. In fact in Adelaide on Trip Advisor we rate better than half of the hotels in this city alone.

I apologize that we were unable to assist you once you had provided your feedback regarding the compressor and indeed as a Le Club member we should have done better. I would encourage you to still renew your membership as it provides great rewards and an option to book over 200 hotels in Australia alone.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I've stayed here a few times.
The location and price suit me well. The front desk staff were excellent, particularly Grant.
One thing that I see you could improve easily would be to add lighting above the sink for shaving for males and make up for women as it was quite poor I thought.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear 2Shane

Thanks for your post on Trip Advisor. I will pass your feedback onto our team and in particular to Grant who you note is a great asset to the hotel.

We are currently renovating our bathrooms and are improving the lighting as a result of feedback such as yours - thank you!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in separate rooms. I had to change the 2nd night because the room (the only birght, mdern, cheerful room of the 3) sprung a leak as a result of poor repair work.

My main concern was hygiene. In room 1 and room 3, there was mould in the showers. Room 1 was also extremely dreary - beige curtains, beige wlls, beige furnishings, a window that only opened about 20 cm, on to a light well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear RADemon

Thank you for your Trip Advisor post.

I am sorry that you were concerned with hygiene. I will address your feedback with our housekeeping team directly.

We are currently renovating our guest rooms to add some more 'life' into them and to completely overhaul the bathrooms. I expect this to be finished in early 2013.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better assist you in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The location is very good, however the room is without a window and very small. The hotel is rather old and tired and need renovation and I don't found it value for money compared with other places I stayed in recently.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Accohotels.com traveller

Thank you for your post.

We do enjoy a great location however I am sorry that your experience wasn't more positive.

The hotel is currently undergoing an extensive refurbishment which improve many elements of our guest rooms including our bathrooms.

I hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Ben Patten

Been to Mercure Grosvenor Hotel? Share your experiences!