“Not Again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chifley on South Terrace

You added Chifley on South Terrace to your Saves list
Chifley on South Terrace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   226 South Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Ranked #33 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
A TripAdvisor Member
“Not Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Paid $95 per night and it is not worth a cent more. Rooms very dated - all the money spent on the 2010 refurb. must have been in the foyer!!!
Location is fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay at Chifley on South Terrace and writing a review.
I am unsure as to your comment regarding 2010 refurb, however I am able to advise that the rooms were comprehensively updated with new curtains, carpet, televisions, repainted, new light fittings and lamp shades and new artwork in 2011.
We are considering the bathroom options available at the moment. I am pleased to advise that individual reverce cycle airconditioners will be fitted to all rooms and new carpet in the hotel foyer laid in the next few months.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I visited Adelaide recently and for the fun of it booked a 'secret' hotel room from lastminute.com. The idea is to book the 'secret' room - in this case, a supposedly 4-star hotel in convenient location - and once you've paid, they'll reveal which hotel it is. Well, I got the Chifley on South Terrace.

Totally disappointing. Definitely not a 4-star hotel. It is old and dated with furnishing that looked like they belong in the 70s. The lights along the corridor were not in full working condition and so it was dark and creepy as you walk to and from the room. The curtain rail of our room was almost falling apart. The balcony is shared among all the rooms on the same level, so I couldn't even leave my curtains open for fear a neighbour might walk by.

If you're visiting Adelaide, don't book anything along the South Terrace, there's nothing but a school and a park there. Go for those near Gouger St (Chinatown, Central Market), near the mall (Rumble Mall) or North Terrace (where the musuems and shopping areas are).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear VBPUFF
Thank you for the review on your recent stay. I am sorry your stay was not to your liking. Unfortunately, the hotel is unable to allude to itself in the "secret" hotel programme as this is one of
the criteria controlled by the third party website. Secret Hotel's and mystery rooms can indeed be a lot of fun, however if people are looking for a specific location we strongly suggest booking a property of choice and not chance. Our South Terrace location, we feel, is the ideal place to stay with many positive features such as its picturesque parklands outlook and the associated jogging tracks and bikeways, convenient free parking, free tram service within the CBD (500m from the hotel) and many fine cafe's, restaurants and pubs nearby. We are a 4<> self rated property and feel that this is a fair reflection of the price, quality, service and facilities we offer when compared generally to other 4* properties.
Your comment regarding the corridor lighting and curtain rail have been passed on to housekeeping and maintenance for their immediate attention as we too expect that these are in good working order.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you wish to further discuss your stay.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Very disappointed with this property. Apart from the very low shower that my 11 year old could barely fit under, the check out in the morning was very rude. The gentlemen on the desk was scruffy, untidy and very rude. And when paying $300 a night, I don't expect to be told to go out and hail my own cab!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Nitmiluk1
Thankyou for choosing to stay at Chifley on South Terrace and writing a review. I am sorry your experience was spoilt on checkout and have asked our Front Office Manager to follow this up further as our dress standards are clearly defined.
I am disappointed also at the seeming lack of service in regard to the taxi and the staff member will be reminded of their duties and our expectations.
Generally our staff are highly commended by our guests and I invite you to contact me personally to further discuss your experience.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Good 4star room and property but traffic noise from busy South Terrace is a problem in street side rooms

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear BertRMelbourne
Thank you for choosing to stay at Chifley on South Terrace and providing a review. I am pleased your visit was enjoyable.
Your comment regarding the noise from South Terrace has been noted and we apologise for any inconvenience. We do take requests for either City or Park View rooms and accommodate accordingly wherever possible.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Mount Gambier, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I got bumped here from another motel that "overbooked". This is apparently 4 star but didnt even come close. Old furnishings, old bathroom, old lift that sounded and felt like it was going to die, only one lift so you had to wait forever for it ( if you were game enough to take it!!). Thin walls. The pool did look inviting but it wasn't warm enough to try. I wouldn't stay here again, and will be complaining to the motel I originally booked at that bumped me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear poolandlocation
Thankyou for the review on your recent visit. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
I understand your comment regarding the lift, however I assure you and all our guests the lift is safe and in working order as certified by our independent lift contractors. Unfotunately, as you have noted it is an older lift and in comparison to the new generation of lifts we are used to now it does have peculiarities of leveling as it arrives at the required floors. The brake noise being experienced is due to the new composite brake pad materials being used as the original pads are no longer manufactured.
We have also undertaken refurbishment of the guest rooms over the last twelve months and further upgrades are currently being negotiated with our Owners and contractors. I am hopefuly of sharing more news on these in the near future.
I welcome you contacting me directly at the hotel to further discuss your stay.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed for a week for a sporting event. My team manager and I shared a room that was quite comfortable, though very warm because of the central heating that we couldn't turn down. Having said that, the room and beds were pleasant.
Our only complaint is that housekeeping was a bit slack. One day, my manager's bed was made with the pillow still under the sheets in the middle of her bed. Funny at the time, but a bit slack really.
We also had white wine in our room one night. The glasses were never washed because we could smell the wine still in the glasses. Gave them benefit of the doubt and moved the glasses onto the table so they would look like they had been used (not near the fridge , where it could be mistaken that they had not been used). Still not washed.
Apart from housekeeping, everything else was good. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Netballer09
Thank you for the review and for choosing to stay at Chifley on South Terrace. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.
Your comment regarding the making of the bed and other housekeeping issues experienced has been raised with the department Supervisors and I apologise for any inconvenience experienced. Attention to detail is an important part of housekeeping duties and more attention will be paid to ensure repeats of this nature are minimised.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention and we look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to Chifley on South Terrace? Share your experiences!