“Serviceable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Old Lion Apartments

You added Majestic Old Lion Apartments to your Saves list
Majestic Old Lion Apartments
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   9 Jerningham Street, Adelaide, South Australia 5006, Australia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Scotland
“Serviceable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

We needed a two bedroom apartment for our week’s stay in Adelaide. We soon realised that due to the Adelaide Festival which is staged every even year that availability of our initial choices would not be possible.
The Old Lion Apartments which is owned by Majestic Hotels, seemed to offer all that we needed and we duly booked.
The location is North Adelaide, close to the junction where Jerningham St intersects with Melbourne St. There are a variety of shops, small supermarkets, pharmacy, various restaurants, Old Lion Hotel / Pub. There are several buses which will take you to the town centre, and indeed there is a daytime free bus ‘Adelaide Connector’ which is available once an hour at a bus stop on Melbourne St, just along from the Old Lion Hotel, at approx ten past the hour.
Staff on Reception were friendly and helpful, throughout our stay, and the apartment was clean and serviced with the exception of Sunday.
Our apartment consisted of a large lounge / kitchen, a large bedroom with double bed, a second smaller bedroom with two twin beds, Bathroom with Shower over bath, washing machine and tumble dryer. There was one air conditioning unit positioned in the lounge, so you really needed to leave the bedroom doors open if you wished cool air to circulate into the bedrooms. Although it was the first week in March the heat in Adelaide was intense, temperatures of 40C and more on some days, so effective air con was a very much a necessity. Even so our daughter found the small bedroom was always very hot.
After settling in and finding our bearings we hired a car from Thrifty Car Hire, Hindley St. in the centre of Adelaide. The car was in good condition with a powerful air con unit (much needed), and I was pleased with the rate and the service I received.
The car is uplifted and returned to the multi-storey car park located across the road from the office on Hindley St.
Positive aspects of the Old Lion Apartments:
Location – approx 10mins or less to city centre
Eating out options on your doorstep
Secure covered car parking underneath building
Air Con
Safe deposit box in flat
Friendly and helpful staff

Negative factors:
Old Lion Hotel / Pub is a busy establishment from Thursday to Sunday, and there is noise. In addition the refuse lorry comes around every night about 3-4 a.m. and empties huge containers of bottles and other refuse. The noise will waken all in the neighbourhood and can last 10-15 mins.
It is a good 25/30 minutes to drive to places like Henley Beach or Glenelg.
Overall the apartment served us well and we had a pleasant stay, but I could not perceive it to be a 4 star establishment as the management claim.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy adjoining establishment
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

I was misled into staying here by the website, and the name of the company that owns this property........ 'Majestic Hotels' There was nothing at all majestic about this place, it reminded me of a bedsit I lived in as a student 20 years ago.

I arrived late after a delayed flight and was exhausted. I made my way to my room to find the most disgusting hovel of a room waiting for me. The first thing to strike me was the smell of the place. Stale smoke/nicotine mixed with cooking odours, I nearly gagged. This was despite the apartment's windows all being left wide open. The interior was tired and dirty, the carpet was so grimey that it was sticky and hard to the touch, indeed my feet ended up black after walking on it, and leaving black footprints on the wet bathroom floor.

It was late and I couldn't be sure of getting anywhere else to stay that night, so I decided to grin and bare it. Big mistake. I spent a restless night, my lungs going into spasm with the smell from the carpets and the nicotine stained walls, I then got eaten alive in bed by fleas/mites.

I escaped the following morning and when I put my concerns to the receptionist, I got the standard 'thank you for your comments, we will pass them on to management'.

I feel it is my duty to stop any one else experiencing what I did last night. AVOID this place at all costs, even if you are being given this place for free, AVOID it. I was going to say this place is like a council estate, but that would be unfair on council estates.
How they ever managed to achieve a 4* rating I will never know, it kind of makes a mockery of that system which I as a member of the public puts my trust in.

• Liked — That I was able to get out of there easily
  • Disliked — the dirt engrained in everything I came into contact with!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

Great location near pub (a bit noisy at night from Niteclub) cafes, Supermarket & boutiques. Short walk to CBD or free bus just around the corner.
Good room in lovely courtyard setting for a cheap price. Definitely recommend if you don't mind a bit of loud music.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Majestic Old Lion Apartments? Share your experiences!