“Bad experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Adelaide

You added Stamford Plaza Adelaide to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Our $1 breakfast is back!
Ranked #13 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Sydney
“Bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Actually I didn't really stay in the hotel that night. The original story is , I have booked the hotel room for three nights through Stamford Hotel official website( 2nights in deluxe view and 1 nights in spa juite). On the day I arrived in Adl, we found that we would like to stay in another hotel, so I rang up and cancel the bookings. I knew that I need to pay for the first night, but it is fine. So I gave them my first name, last name and the confirmation number. They cannnot match the confirmation number with any bookings, so they try my last name. They got someone with the same last name with me, and they said in a very very rude manner claiming that the reservation was not through them, so I need to contact the agent. I have told them I did do it through their website. And she said that the only bookings found which match my last name is the one who booked through agent. They are so rude......and I asked what room is that booking....she said the booking is for 2 nights. So it definitely not me. But it seems that she didn't want to help me to solve the problem , she keep on saying that's the only booking. Finally the fact is my booking didn't come out to their system yet.
It is a 5 stars hotel, how can be the reservation team be so rude to the customer, I feel that I am so lucky that I didn't stay in that hotel with them, and I will not choose Stamford anymore.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
cairns
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

Stamford Plaza is a beautiful classy older hotel. The rooms were roomy, had a table and chairs , and the bathroom was nicely appointed. I booked a mystery deal on wotif.com, so the price was good but the view was dreary, a 40ft grey block wall and a car park ( always a catch). There was one complimentary robe and slippers in the cupboard. We had complimentary drink vouchers and had a pre dinner drink in the lower bar, there are a couple of bars and restaurants in the hotel catering for various events and patrons. Poker machines in one of the more casual bars. Staff were very courteous and friendly. Its a nice hotel but if I hadn't got the deal on wotif.com I dont think the price is worth it.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

First time in Adelaide and i got a great deal through lastminute.com.au with this hotel.

Arrived on a Fri nite and left late Mon Arvo. When i arrived i noticed the Lobby looked quite nice and the hotel seemed luxurious. The Bellboy took my bag and escorted me upstairs to the 12th floor once i'd checked in and showed me how to work everything etc.

The room itself was probably of a 4 star quality, But once i got into the bathroom it was quite worn! The tiles had a slight mould over them and having a shower always left the whole floor soaked. The bathroom had decent tolietries from the Earlsley and Windsor range. Over the following 3 nights i noticed the room was quite worn in general. The Tv was probably about 5 - 10 years old and not overly big with not many tv channels, The room service prices were just criminal, Around $25 for a burger!

As for the facilities i never used the gym but i did use the pool, it was dirty and the tiles were cracking. I also tried the Spa which was old! It must be the original from when the building was built and is starting to show it's age.

The area itself is fine, Skycity across the road has some decent restaurants or just behind the hotel on Hindley St there is a McDonalds and some cheap eateries, Just watch the Hindley Area at night, It can be a little dodgy!

I recommend checking out Glenelg as it's a nice little beach suburb and i also highly recommend a Barossa Valley tour with Hahndorf, I did a Full Day one on the Sunday through Gray Line.

Despite all the bad points the bed was comfortable and clean and all the staff i came across were friendly with the exception of the guy at check out who seemed a little snooty.

If i ever go back there i'd probably stay somewhere else next time

Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Geelong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

While the lobby and the price of the room gives you the impression that you are in a 5-star hotel, the rest of the experience certainly doesn't. Our room looked onto the building next door (we did book cheaply through a website so weren't too worried about this), parking was extremely overpriced, no restaurants at the hotel were open the evening we stayed and the pool area was distinctly average. If it were listed as a 4 star, it would be considered good but for 5 star prices and listing, I expect more.

• Liked — the room was spacious and well fitted out
  • Disliked — overpriced parking
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
leeds
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Having booked a five star hotel with amenities that is what my family expected. But no none of the bars were open at any time or the restaraunts, only for breakfast and one night one of the bars was open to the teens of Adelaide with bellowing music
and the decor in the bar was akin to an inner city dive. When complained to reception, excuses were given, to low occupancy and and low season hello! this was NewYear summer in the city centre, When getting information from Concierge it was all incorrect with reference to car hire. They said that we would be able to park it on site, but ommited to tell us there was a charge. The pool was supposed to be heated and jaccuzi was grimy. The majority of the staff were non caring and condesending . It soured our experience of this lovely city having travelled from the UK

• Liked — The lobby was elegant
  • Disliked — lack of ameneties
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

The hotel was.. okay, but not for the amount of money I paid for the room. I paid for a special evening, but the wine that was supposed to come complete with the deal was missing, the fan did not work, neither did the television.

The one thing that did stand out was the breakfast which was included, and which I would gladly have paid for - it was spectacular. I will be revisiting TGs, minus the hotel booking, for dinner in the future.

Overall a disappointment, as I would have rather simply driven home myself that night than waste my money at an overpriced hotel.

• Liked — The restaurant - incredible food
  • Disliked — See review :)
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

I stayed here the night after our ball.
The rooms have nice decor.
The cost can be a bit OTT if you book late.
Parking expensive.
Good location though with across the road access to the tram to take you down to Glenelg.

Eat breakfast elsewhere. You will save some coin.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Stamford Plaza Adelaide? Share your experiences!