“Be careful, this hotel may make unnecessary charge to your credit card after your checking out” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Adelaide

Save Saved
You added Stamford Plaza Adelaide to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Winter Warmer Deals
Ranked #17 of 54 hotels in Adelaide
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I checked in this hotel on 16 Dec 2012 and checked out on 20 Dec 2012. My daughter visited us and slept in our hotel room on 16 Dec 2012. She left us at 6 a.m. and flew back to Melbourne for working on 17 Dec 2012. We requested an extra bed for the night of 16 Dec 2012 at a charge of A$55. As we had pre-paid the hotel room charge, we paid the A$55 in cash when we checked out the hotel on 20 Dec 2012.

We went to Melbourne and stayed there for another 5 days. After going back to Hong Kong, my husband discovered that the hotel had charged A$7.11 to his credit card. We then sent a email to the hotel asking for the nature of the charge. The hotel emailed a statement to us on 15 Jan 2013, showing that the charge was for “Mini bar – Red Bull”. We sent emails to the hotel on Jan 15, Jan 21 and Jan 28, 2013 telling the hotel that we did not consume anything of the mini bar. Despite the amount involved is small, we requested that the hotel refund the A$7.11 erroneously charged to my husband’s credit card, .on the principle of equity. Up till now, the hotel has not made any response to our 3 emails.

When hotel guests check out of the hotel, the hotel should have the proper procedure in ascertaining there was no lost of towels, no breakage of glass cups and no consumption of the mini bar stuff etc in the hotel room concerned. Any additional hotel charge should be agreed with the hotel guests before issuing a bill (if necessary) for the settlement by the hotel guests. It is unjustifiable for the hotel to charge its guests after their checking out of the hotel. It would create a lot of unnecessary disputes.

My husband and I have had the experience of staying at hotels for more than 100 times. However, this is our first experience of being erroneously charged to our credit card after the hotel stay. We are quite disappointed with this so called 5 star hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter G, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Mrs So
I was most concerned to learn of your dissatisfaction following you stay in December. Our records indicate that the incorrect charges were refunded to your credit card on the 21st Jan. and then we contacted you shortly thereafter to advise you of this, and to extend our apologies for this error. I believe that you should have received this correspondence prior to your online posting and we certainly apologise for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

728 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Having a wedding anniversary to celebrate but no real time to travel led us to stay local and just head out for the night. The Stamford is a place we had stayed previously, once at Glenelg and multiple times at the Plaza on North Terrace.

Although we had no issues with staff on previous occasions, I must admit on this occasion the staff performance was exceptional. It was mainly the staff in the Cascades Lounge and TG's breakfast area that stood out. They were dressed immaculately, very polite and professional, the word classy seems appropriate.

I'm normally one to get annoyed by disinterested or arrogant staff, it is a pleasure to write a compliment where it is due.

Dear Guest
We are very thankful for your positive feedback on the hotel and your honest comments will help us continue to strive to provide service excellence and a memorable experience. We are always delighted to hear that our staff are upholding our exceptional service standards.. Thank you again for your positive comments, they are appreciated and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Had a great stay, got a good deal at wotif. Hotel and room as expected for Stamford. Had to pay extra for parking and had difficulties parking . Great position for the last stage of the tour down under, and cycling friendly staff.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am delighted to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable and you received value for money. We are fortunate to be located in such a central position which met your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and was pleased that you were satisfied with the excellent service provided by our very friendly staff during your stay. I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I agree with all the negative comments on this hotel. The rooms and especially the bathrooms are very tired but the bed was comfy but the need for an old fashioned notice on the wall escapes me! I got a good deal on the net but as always you get a poor view out the window. Staff were friendly enough but a bit robotic and the hotel always always seemed to be busy. The was a function on in the bar area and it all just seemed to be a bit down market, the venue lacked class. I didn't try the in house restaurants preferring to explore other venue's and the hotel is well located on North Terrace. If you are looking for luxury it is not here but it is convenient for many things to do so you pay your money (and you need a good deal on the net!) and you take your choice but this wouldn't be my first choice.

Room Tip: A cheap room on the net means a poor view, remember this when booking!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the dissatisfaction that you experienced during your stay. We agree that our location is ideally located within walking distance of the various iconic CBD features and you will be pleased to note that we are currently undertaking a refurbishment of our guest rooms. This is well underway with over half of our rooms now completed and the results are tremendous. I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Given the hotel is in the process of a renovation and they clearly realise the hotel is looking a bit tired, it's not fair to dwell on this point. The only point I would make is I'm glad we were upgraded to a deluxe suite. Room was large, king size bed, plenty of room to stretch out but bathroom a bit small.

Staff at check-in were very helpful and welcoming. Hotel is clean and in a good location. If possible ask for a room facing North Terrace on a high floor and you will have views over Adelaide oval, Parliament House, Government House and the parklands.

Did not use the pool but was busy, so a good sign!

Dear Guest
We are very thankful for your positive feedback on the hotel and your honest comments will help us continue to strive to provide service excellence and a memorable experience. As you are aware, we are currently undertaking a refurbishment of our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience. We agree that our location is ideally located within walking distance of the various iconic CBD features. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and was delighted to learn that our staff were helpful and welcoming. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Adelaide some time soon.
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

As a visitor to Adelaide I was affronted by the unwelcoming nature from the front desk at the Stamford. The chap at check-in was only interested in getting hold of my credit card details and a photocopy of my ID (is this legal??), he explained it was due to fraud. I just love being called dishonest and a fraudster! Particularly when my accommodation had already been paid in full.

The accommodation I booked was suppose to include breakfast, however when I enquired to where breakfast would be served the person at the front desk said it wasn’t included and did nothing to correct the problem. He seem delighted and pointed me to the concierge where I could find out how much breakfast would cost. Also be aware that Internet “access” included for your room just means that it is “available” and that you have to pay extra for “access”.

The rooms as mentioned by previous respondents are tired. The room I was in was clean, was a good size, had a good quality queen size bed, which was conducive to a good nights sleep. The bathroom was small with a shower in a thin bath and a shower curtain (really … !!). The tiles in the bathroom room were extremely tired with ingrained mould and dirt in the grout. Although the bathroom was clean it was well past its use by date. The housekeeping staff were extremely welcoming and friendly, I would suggest that maybe they could train the people at the front desk.

The location was very good with the Adelaide shops, Casino, Cricket Ground and river just a few minutes walk away.

In conclusion, I suggest when in Adelaide to try other hotels first before this one. I will be.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I regret that the request for your credit card was not handled properly. Our policies are similar to all major hotels in Australia, but clearly this was not conveyed in an appropriate manner and this has been followed up to prevent a recurrence. Free internet is an option we are currently reviewing as the hotel is undergoing refurbishment however complimentary WiFi access is available in the hotel lobby. You will also be pleased to note that we are currently undertaking a refurbishment of our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.
Ingham QLD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is one of the best in Adelaide, the staff are outstanding in thier jobs and the resteraunts are out of this world, it has everything the traveller needs and its location is close to everything ( Casino, Rundell Mall , King George Street ), buses and trams are right out front of the hotel and are free in the city limits, 4 days there was not long enough, but will go back next in Adelaide,the breakfast will blow you away.

Room Tip: our room was a standard twin but was excellent
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your excellent feedback. I am delighted to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable and we agree that our location is ideally located within walking distance of the various iconic CBD features and a tram ride through the city’s heart is free. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and our staff are very professional. We appreciate your compliments on our restaurants and breakfast buffet, they are appreciated. Thank you again for your positive comments and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Stamford Plaza Adelaide? Share your experiences!