“Best service and sleep I've had in a long time. I didn't want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Adelaide

You added Stamford Plaza Adelaide to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Our $1 breakfast is back!
Ranked #13 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Gawler, South Australia
“Best service and sleep I've had in a long time. I didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Stayed in the Spa Suite with my partner. Great price, the staff were friendly and welcoming, bedroom and bathroom were spacious and clean. Best night sleep I've had in a long time. We wanted to stay the whole week! Definitly coming back!

Room Tip: Spa Suite, king bed, 2 person spa.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
GrahamSPA, Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for your review. We are delighed that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

You may wish to consider our Romance and Seduction package for your next special occasion. The package includes a candle-lit room, seductive background music, French Champagne, chocolate-dipped strawberries and a personalised bottle of wine.

Graham Black

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Gold Coast Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

It's not too bad comfy large beds. Clean. Nice staff and close to everything important

• Stayed May 2011
Thank you for your kind review.

We are very proud of our staff, as they demonstrate genuine caring attitude to service.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Booked through wotif and got a cheap rate so for me it was value for money. I would be a bit disappointed if i paid the full rate. It's comfortable and in a good location..the pool and jacuzzi on the top floor are nice too but definitely not a 5* hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your comments assist us to improve our facilities and services. I am pleased that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay.

We hope you return to Stamford Plaza Adelaide soon.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while on a business trip in Adelaide. The hotel is well-located as it's close to public transport and the Rundle Mall shopping strip. The room was spacious and clean but I have two criticisms:

1. The hotel doesn't provide any complimentary toothbrush or toothpaste. I was given these when I asked for them but they tried to charge me $5 for it when the toothpaste wouldn't last even two nights. A very sensible receptionist kindly directed me to the nearest convenience store instead.

2. I received a 5am wake-up call because another guest had requested a taxi but failed to leave a surname so they apparently just called everyone with the same surname. It would have been better if they had checked the guests' check-out dates before calling guests so early in the morning because I got this call on my first night when I was staying for 2 nights.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

When I arrived, I was put into a smoking room. The smell of stale cigarette smoke was disgusting and reminded me of a cheap Bangkok hotel room.
I requested to be placed in a non-smoking room and was told that this was impossible because you were booked out for that night. After requesting to see the manager, I was informed that the only room you could switch me to was the presidential suite and I would be charged an extra $1000! After a long and quite rude conversation with the incompetent Duty Manager, a non-smoking room was finally “found”. However, I was informed that this was a deluxe room which an upgrade from the one I had booked- thus I would be charged an extra $20/night.
Even after I explained that I was an asthmatic adn was worried about the effect of people smoking in rooms next to me I was told to pay up or stay in my room.
I was outraged that you would actually CHARGE a person for moving them out of a room for medical reasons. I might expect this from a 2 or 3 star hotel, but I certainly would not expect this from a “so-called” five star hotel. In my past experiences at the Melbourne Stamford I have been upgraded (at no cost) to a 2 bedroom suite for the mere reason my room wasn’t ready on arrival!

I also had two friends who joined me later on in my stay and they had requested a twin room. Again, this was not fulfilled and they were told that because they had booked with WOTIF.com, the hotel was not able to guarentee any specific room type. My friends were actually charged for a cot so that they wouldnt have to share the bed!!

Other disappointing things about this include:
1. the room I was ‘upgraded’ to had no iron and I called housekeeping 3 times and reception twice to request an iron. This was never delivered.
2. The parking boom gate didn’t work and it took 20 minutes for the concierge to come and let me out of the parking lot- which in turn made me miss my appointment.
3. There are not enough elevators to accommodate the amount of guests they have staying in the hotel. Each time you needed to go up to your room you would have to wait a minimum of 5 minutes, and would then have to cram in with 7-10 other annoyed guests to get to your room. Which I wouldn’t have minded if, when I arrived at my room, my electronic key worked! This happened on 3 occasions, where I would then have to wait another 5 minutes to catch the lift down to reception, queue, collect another key and then wait another 5 minutes to get back into my room. Very frustrating indeed.
4. The sliding door in my "upgraded" room did not work and I could not access the wardrobe. Despite telling reception, this was also not addressed
5. The "Buffet" is bland and almost inedible. In the advertisement, they boasted that they now served fresh prawns. This included 7 prawns laid out on ice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
GrahamSPA, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am pleased that you have also been in contact with the Hotel direct and we look forward to welcoming you back to Stamford Plaza Adelaide soon in order that we show you how well the team can perform.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Stayed for two nights during Adelaide's Fringe Festival. Lotsa people in town this time of the year, and it wasn't easy securing a hotel. I certainly felt that hotel staff was exceptional, given the high seasonal turnover.

Rooms are of decent size. Try to get a room with a view (north facing). The elevators are under renovation, which is my main issue. When lotsa people are in the hotel, you can be sure to wait up to 3 mins for the elevator. Not acceptable for a hotel of this standard, in my view. Another problem is lack of free wifi. You only get it at the lobby.

We didn't have a chance to try its restaurant nor the pool and gym facilities. Breakfast was ridiculously priced at $30+ ("discounted" to $25 for hotel guests) so we just couldn't do it. Besides, its so close to Rundle Mall so one is absolutely spoiled for choice in terms of food (and shopping, if you're into that sort of thing).

Would stay here again, if it wasn't so pricey. And to think we got a corporate rate already. If location to Rundle Mall is important to you, its this one or the Mecure or Inter Con down the street. It's a short walk to the central market, victoria sq as well (or you could take the free tram).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

This hotel was a BIG disappointment!
We have booked this absolutely over prized room and wanted to treat ourselves with a 5* comfort on our last day of a long trip.

But this hotel turned out to be as shabby as can be. Especially the furnishings and the bathroom facilities were way too old and looked heavily used. I felt almost disgusted to take a shower in the yellowish bathtub.
The rooms were dark and looked like they have not been used in 50 years (which wasn't a good thing in this case).

Unbelievable that this hotel rates itself 5 stars!!! and lets you actually pay that much money for a room like that.

Nice from the outside but absolutely SHABBY from the inside.
Would definitely not recommend and will never go there again.

BTW Parking your car costs another $17/day....should be free if guests already pay so much money for such a horrible value.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Stamford Plaza Adelaide? Share your experiences!