“In the heart of town on a quiet night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley

You added Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley to your Saves list
Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65 Hindley Street, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia (Formerly Holiday Inn Adelaide)   |
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“In the heart of town on a quiet night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Great place to stay for business or holiday in Adelaide especially early in the week unless you love the song of the street all night later in the week.

Had a great room, professional staff at the front desk and no troubles at all. Not my first stay and not my last

Room Tip: Early in the week? Try for a front east corner room, great views over the city and and lovely sunri...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Craig G

Thank you taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

It is always a pleasure to read when one of our guests have enjoyed their stay. Thank you for your complimentary feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Simon de Jong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Indonesian first
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is centraly located just up from Runle Mall. When i arrived (late at night) i was greeted by very friendly and efficient staff. I was on the 11th floor and room was a good size and very clean.
Stayed three nights and it was very enjoyable. Recommended if you are visiting Adelaide.

Good value room service.

Room Tip: Lifts are slow so lower level if you are coming and going.
Dear Bobbali99

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

I have taken note of your feedback regarding our staff and will ensure that your complimentary comments are passed on.

Again thank you for your comments.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I was very disappointed with our room. The pictures of the room off the web site are misleading. It wasn't clean, the kettle was very old and dirty, the ironing board cover was disgusting I didn't want to iron my shirt on it. The visitors information book was so old it fell to bits when I picked up to read it. We were kept awake all night by the music and yelling from people partying in the street below. How this hotel got its star rating amazes me. :(

• Stayed May 2013
SalesAdelaide, Front Office Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Dgsj

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

We appreciate the feedback we receive from our guests. I have taken note of your comments regarding your room and would like to advise the hotel recently underwent a refurbishment of our top 5 floors and are looking to complete a further two floors by mid 2014.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay with us further should you wish. I can be contacted on 08 8231 5552.

Jarrad Crettenden
Front Office Manager
Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Very good hotel in a central position, ideal for exploring Adelaide and the surrounding area. Within walking distance of most attractions and good public transport for further afield. Only slight problem is finding it when traveling by car due to the one way system in Adelaide, you can only approach it from one direction.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Ozztraveler

We appreciate the feedback that we received from our guests and value their opinions. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We booked online and received a very good rate for 4 nights. We arrived just prior to lunch time and the young lady on the front desk said we could check in as our room was ready when really all that we wanted to do was leave our bags.
Our room was clean and the bathroom was very adequate. We had a view out of our window which was north facing and very sunny and bright.
The bed was very comfortable and there were plenty of pillows.
Extra plates and cutlery were readily provided as we catered for our own breakfasts.
The hotel is but a 3-4 minute walk to Rundle Mall.
We would book here again.
Jan & Kev

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear JannienadKev

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that we can look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

It’s not really about one thing that I hated about the Grand Chancellor on Hindley, but rather a series of issues which didn’t get resolved and added to what I felt was unreasonable for a four star hotel. Lets start with the good – and that is location. Right on Hindley street you really are at the heart of Adelaide City. The drawback of this is that it gets very noisy on Friday and Saturday nights, so I would recommend staying on a floor above level four. Bus from the airport was only $3.00 for an adult at time of writing, take J1 or J2 took 39mins.

Now for the issues. Started when we arrived and we had to wait almost 20mins to check in. And this was the case when we asked for a map, an umbrella, have our room key re-scanned. Not once could we walk up to reception and be served. Rather whether there was one person on reception or three, there was always a wait which lasted over 15mins. What really annoyed me is that whilst being served, the staff would ALWAYS answer the phone first and just keep you waited. It was if they were being monitored in regards to their speed on the phones, but when it comes to actual physical guests standing in front of them, who cares! Twice when we asked for directions (and waited 15mins) they couldn’t help us, after this we just worked it out, or asked randoms in the street.

Now we stayed in two rooms for 7 nights. With my parents on level 4 and myself, partner and 4 month old baby on level 8. The cot the hotel supplied was adequate. Again a lot of these issues I mention now aren’t enough for me to warrant suggesting never come here, but for a hotel of this quality and stature, it was very disappointing. Five times we had to get our room keys rescanned, which is a bit of a hassle coming down from the 8th floor (with a baby) only to go all the way back up again.

On three occasions when they did the rooms they did not replace the toiletries. Twice in one room and once in another. When we asked for a set to be sent up they were never forthcoming. The bed sheets are not replaced each evening, it was only when we put some of the sheets in the bathtub, where they actually replaced, rather than just made.

Two evenings some people were playing knock and run on my parents door. Though the Grand Chancellor can’t ever prevent this from happening, they could have done more in terms of stopping this. After I called reception to let them know, it kept happening for 1.5hrs. I was genuinely concerned for my parents safety when it didn’t stop! The fact it happened the next day for a small period was really annoying. I felt that security could have done more – or if not, move my parents to another floor.

Maybe this is an Adelaide thing? But every morning people tried to take my newspaper during breakfast? Not the Hotel’s fault, but just weird. Breakfast had an excellent selection. With the fruit being extremely good. I just didn’t like how they only had poached eggs on two days and not the others. Unfortunately the coffee machine is “rubbish” and didn’t seem to work. Can’t say many guests were too happy with it. I was put out, when I asked if the wholemeal bread was going to be replaced, only to find be told the Hotel has run out. But then when another guest asked another breakfast waiter – it was replaced in an instant. Not a big deal, just annoying really.

On two occasions I rang my parents in their room from an outside line (my mobile). Both times they did not ask for the guests name? We aren’t megastars, but I know if I was, or imagine if a star was staying. The noisy reporter could just ask for every room, disturbing every guest before they possibly got right guest? Or what if you just don’t want to be disturbed, especially by someone who is dialling the wrong room.

Upon checkout we were accused of not returning the umbrellas (4) 2 umbrellas borrowed twice. The irony being is that we happened to borrow No.14 umbrella a second time, so surely we had to return it to borrow it again! The Grand Chancellor did want to charge us for 4 umbrellas until I pointed this out.This was sorted out, but just a hassle which took 10 mins when it shouldn’t have. One room was accused of drinking from the mini bar, which was not charged but again – glad it was rectified but why have the mini mistakes. What they didn’t charge me for was the parking which I brought to their attention and paid for.

Overall cost of the Grand Chancellor on Hindley was more than reasonable. But I would not recommend staying here unless senior management really swept broom through the ‘philosophy’ of customer service. Hotel was overall clean and amenities were good, but not great.

Room Tip: Great location also means lots of noise. As such make sure you get a room which is on level 4 or abo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Parges

We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests by expressing their opinions both positive and negative. I have taken note of your comments regarding the issues you had with your stay and rest assured these concerns will be addressed with my team. I apologise for any inconvenience this caused.

Again, thank you for your feedback and should you wish, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. I can be contacted on 08 8231 5552.

Jarrad Crettenden
Front Office Manager
Renmark, South Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The grand chancellor is a majestic old girl, with comfortable clean rooms, with all you need for a nice stay, ours was a basic Queen room, and had 2 queen beds, tele with foxtel and adequate bathroom with bath. Room was clean and tidy, although a little dated.
Front desk staff were very courteous, and knowledgable, and happy to help in any way.
We ordered tea sent to our room, and the meals were delivered in a very prompt friendly manner, less than 20mins and only $4 for this service. Location is excellent with only a short easy walk to Rundle Mall, trams and buses, and parking underneath.

Room Tip: Check for upgrades!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Peter C

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

I am happy to advise the hotel now hosts two levels of accommodation having completed a refurbishment of our top 5 floors in 2012. I hope that next time you visit Adelaide you are able to take advantage of our new accommodation.

Simon de Jong

Been to Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley? Share your experiences!