“Tour Down Under” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Adelaide

You added InterContinental Adelaide to your Saves list
InterContinental Adelaide
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne
“Tour Down Under”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

This was my first trip to Adelaide to watch the Tour Down Under.
The hotel is nice and central to everything cycling when this event is on...probably one of the closest hotels you can get to the final stage of the event. Most of the cycling teams are camped out at the Hilton so you don't get to see many celebrities here, however I did bump into Kevin Sheedy on my way to the Club Lounge one afternoon.

We booked a club room and with our Gold Ambassador membership got an automatic upgrade to a better level room...which in our case turned out to be a junior suite which was nothing short of awesome! Would have to say that it's probably the best hotel room we have ever spent a night in, let alone 3 nights. I was wondering where I would keep my bike during the stay...nothing to worry about...it was fine to take it up to the room! There was plenty of room for it too, with two bathrooms, a lounge (which became daughter's bedroom), bedroom, dressing room/walk-in wardrobe. At one point there was some argument over what we were going to watch on the TV - I put the argument to rest by pointing out we had two large TV's in both lounge and bedroom, problem solved.

The only little points I could pick on was that my bedside lamp had no globe, so I took the lampshade off and the housemaid spotted that straightaway and had it taken care of. I didn't see the housemaids during my stay as I was always out riding somewhere, but my wife said they were wonderful and very knowledgeable and chatty, they obviously love working here. My wife loved the bed, extremely comfortable, and apparently were brand new.

The club lounge was very nice and kept me fueled with plenty of drinks and nibbles during my stay - really handy to come back for a free coke instead of paying $3 a can out on the street (or $6 in the room!!! ouch!). Speaking of expensive, the in-house internet is exhorbitant...so we ignored that and used the data connection via my mobile phone (first time I'd tried doing that...so I'm glad I was forced to try that out as it worked very well).

The pool is great and very well maintained. The chemical balances were expertly maintained. It was very well utilised by many cyclists staying in-house after a hard day's riding...a most welcome way to restore those tired muscles.

The valet parking was awesome. They left our car at the front of the hotel for quite a while as we kept coming back and getting more stuff from the car that we didn't think we'd need. Even once they'd taken the car away for parking, they quickly retrieved further items for me later on. They even pre-empted our check-out and had our car waiting for us to simply load up and move out at the pre-appointed time.

We've stayed at a lot of 5-star hotels in Adelaide as they are always very cheap over Easter, so for many years we would come to town whilst all the locals were getting out. This is by far the best accomodation we've stayed at in Adelaide and would be hard pressed to consider looking elsewhere when we're back here next.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Polish first
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

Stayed on a Mystery deal through Wotif for one night and had a great stay. The staff were friendly and efficient and the hotel was everything you would expect for this type of accomodation. The location was great and the room was very nice. Room Service was prompt and the meal was very nice. Overall a great introduction to Adelaide and well worth staying at.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
ICAManagement, Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Thank you for rating your overall stay with us and I am glad you had some great things about the hotel and enjoyed the hotel facilities and friendly staff.

We hope you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Andre Diaz, Director of Rooms
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

This could be any typical 4* hotel in the world. The room was adequate without being amazing which speaks for the hotel as a whole.

The only disappointment was the service overall - 25 mins to check in?? There was 1 person at check in who was serving another customer, I was not acknowledged once. Also the continental breakfast was almost AU$40?? I would struggle to pay that in a top Sydney hotel.......

Would I stay again, yes because the hotel served its purpose as a good central location for a business trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011 via mobile

We thought this hotel would be disappointing after reading some reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. In addition Amanda the Concierge was extremely helpful organising trips and contributed greatly to our Adelaide experience.

• Stayed January 2011
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

The intercon group recently bought the building from Hyatt (I think) but did not fully renovate the rooms. The rooms were clean with modern furniture but there are areas of the room that looks like its from the early 90s. All acceptable but I did expect more from the intercon group in comparison to their other aus properties.

I thought the hotel rates were reasonable. If you have your own car, it must be valeted $30. Room service meals were also on the expensive side.

The valet and reception service was excellent. However, housekeeping walked into our room without knocking or any prompting. Lucky I was dressed. She was apologetic but insisted on walking further into the room to check if I had a cushion and a bed cover on my bed (which I had).

Overall, I rate this an average hotel. Since there is not much choice in Adelaide, it is probably the best hotel in the city.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Whilst occasionally you may get trapped in a lift (at midnight for over 1 hour) and occasionally the breakfast lineup is over 20 metres long and there is limited food selection, this is unaccetable in a 5 star hotel. The lack of empthy from the staff was what was really unacceptable. The reception suggested that we book for breakfast but when we tried to do that the breakfast area refused to take bookings??????

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Picture this, a team of non commital gen Y attitudinal staff in ill fitting uniforms who couldn't care less hiding from serving you. Charging $US583 per night for a room from the 80's and a bed that should have been tossed out 3 years ago and pillows from the last millenium. A room befitting the worse Holiday Inn Express in Idaho with stingey products, that is the Adelaide Inter Con, The Bogan army that inhabit, run and service this hotel should leave and work in a RSL club. I stayed before when it was a Hyatt, please come back Hyatt they have disgraced this place.They have replaced the 80's decor with a veneer of white paint and furniture from a discount store.There was no service, and the front office staff hadn't a clue what was going on constantly seeking help from hapless and gormless supervisors. Only the concierge who needed grooming lessons was pleasant.. If you have to go to Adelaide stay at anywhere but this overpriced CON.It should be demoted to whatever is below Holiday Inn

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for raising your concerns on the service culture of our staff. These comments have been shared with every department in our efforts to improve on the entire guest experience.

Kind regards,
Andre Diaz, Director of Rooms

Been to InterContinental Adelaide? Share your experiences!