“Typicla good Hilton” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Adelaide

You added Hilton Adelaide to your Saves list
Hilton Adelaide
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   233 Victoria Square, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #16 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Sydney, Australia
“Typicla good Hilton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is everything you would expect from a Hilton. The staff were very friendly - particularly in the Executive Dining Room - very helpful with maps and directions as we wanted to do some touring. The bed was huge and comfortable and while everything was clean and worked, the décor is probably getting a little tired.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear amberlower,

Thank you for taking the time to forward your comments regarding your accommodation.

I was delighted that you had a pleasant stay and you were pleased with the service you received from the team.

I appreciate your comments in regards to the décor. We have recently completed a minor refurbishment to some rooms however we do have plans for future improvements to guest areas of the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in the future.

Hilton Adelaide

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

On check-in I presented my credit card as usual, for incidentals (room service etc.) By chance I discovered that the hotel had frozen $100 from my savings account. This amount represented a bond or room guarantee, but was deducted without my prior knowledge and approval. I was assured that I would get the $100 back within 24 hours of leaving the hotel. It took five working days dear Florence, not 24 hours. I advise people to ask if a bond is payable upon check-in and how much is required. Then check your banking details as soon as practicable, any discrepancy should be reported immediately to the hotel manager.

• Stayed August 2013
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Jakogreg,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.

I understand your sentiments in regards to your security deposit and thought it necessary to clarify the issue. On check-in at the hotel it is a Hilton national standard security policy that a credit card is required to cover your room, alternatively if not available, a $100 per day refundable security deposit is required. This policy is in place for the security of both the guests and the hotel in terms of loss prevention and risk management. Please note this payment is a pre-authorisation made directly with the bank and therefore the release date is dependent on their processing systems and not determined by Hilton Adelaide. This clarification should have made on making the reservation and I therefore apologise for this lapse in service standard.

I apologise for the confusion in this regard.

I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Adelaide in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked this hotel about a month in advance through Expedia for a last minute business trip. I thought the price I paid was very reasonable especially for a supposedly 5* service.

When I arrived I realised why it was reasonably priced. The lobby is nice enough but once I arrived in my room I was dumbfounded by how grotty it was. Despite requesting a room on a high floor, I was put on the fifth floor. The bathroom was terrible - I have stayed in backpackers in Thailand in my traveling days with better facilities. The tiles were dirty brown things, when I switched on the tap yellow water came out! This repeatedly happened. The shower head gave a dreadful trickle (not a shower) and could not get to the right temperature (either too cold or too hot despite fiddling for 15 minutes). I was astonished to see a shower curtain! Which hotels still have these? The bathroom clearly hasn't been updated (or cleaned properly) since the 1980s.

The aircon in the room was broken, making a dreadful hum all the time - again the same aircon installed in the 1980s. The decor was drab - mix of greys and browns, with a dirty worn out carpet. Beautiful view of the, um, tennis courts....

No complimetary wifi (Come on Hilton - if I can get it for free in Starbucks and McDonalds I am definitely NOT going to pay the $16 an hour it costs at the HIlton Adelaide). No plugs next to the bed which was bloody annoying.

Room service was 'ok' but very expensive ($27 for pasta...) although one night arrived cold (it had clearly been under the heatlamp for half an hour) and did not look appealing. Cleaners came daily - disappointingly I accidently spilt my room service meal on the sheets whilst eating on my lap - only for the cleaners NOT to change the sheets but to leave them on the bed!

Certainly NOT the five star service I was expecting of the Hilton. In serious need of updating... Will not stay again in future trips to Adelaide - would rather pay a premium and stay somewhere luxury. It was a relief to get home to a decent showerhead, clean bathroom and less grottiness. God I miss the Langham!

Warning to those who stay - prepare to be disappointed!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere. There will be a new boutique hotel opening up soon - will be staying there in futur...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear al-ellis1,

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent accommodation.

I was disappointed that you found certain aspects of your stay unsatisfactory. At your convenience I would appreciate more information regarding the issues you experienced with your bathroom and the air-conditioning so we can investigate this further and ensure the problems are rectified. I apologise for the inconvenience this caused during your stay.

We provide free WiFi in the Lobby, the Business Lounge and the Executive Floor. A connectivity station is also located in the Lobby for guests use.

I have noted your comments in regards to Housekeeping which will be passed on to the Executive Housekeeper to ensure linen is replenished regularly.

I do apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I would however encourage you to treat this as an exception rather than a reflection of the hotel as my team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide again in the future to show you the service we pride ourselves on.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I am disappointed to say that the Hilton Adelaide did not live up its great international reputation.

The lobby was nice enough, and certainly the concierge / bellboys were helpful and professional, but the lifts took a long time to come each and every time I waited for them (ten minutes+ on one occasion) and the room itself was honestly a little depressing.

Whilst the bed was comfortable the colour scheme was, well I suppose dull, and the lone picture in the room was not even hung up, instead just resting on a ledge that went fully around the room. This may just be how it was designed but it didn't look quite right to me. Additionally the lighting in the room was far too dim and in combination I found the room a bit depressing and found myself simply not really wanting to be there. It's good to see a city when you're away, but doing so because you don't want to be in your room is another thing altogether.

There was a reasonable desk, although the glass topped nature of it meant that an optic mouse (which is pretty much the only kind these days) didn't work directly on it so that was a bit impractical. Further there was no free wifi, instead having one that required a payment. This is a pet peeve as I feel that wifi is pretty much a staple of modern day life, particularly when on a business trip. I understand it is an extra cost for hotels, however in this hotel you are already paying a significant premium for not really anything at all, matching their cheaper competitors for ammenities seems only sensible.

I was on the seventh floor and found that I was frequently disturbed by noises outside the room, both on the street and in the hotel itself. Sound penetration resistance was pretty poor.

Breakfast was very expensive and the freshly squeezed juice was so lumpy it was difficult to have as a drunk.

Dear Topher W,

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your stay at Hilton Adelaide.

I was pleased that the Concierge team were helpful and professional however I was concerned that you found certain aspects of your stay not up to the standard you would expect from a Hilton property.

As you are aware we are currently undergoing a major lift restoration. To reduce the inconvenience to our guests we are only upgrading one lift at a time therefore taking a longer period of time to complete this project. I apologise that you found the waiting time unacceptable on some occasions.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the design of your room. We have recently completed a minor refurbishment to some of the rooms with more upgrades in the near future and your comments will be taken into consideration when further changes are made.

We have recently changed our internet provider which will improve the internet service we are able to provide. Free Wi-Fi is provided in the Lobby and Executive Lounge for your convenience. A connectivity station has also recently been installed in the Lobby area for guest use.

I appreciate your comments regarding the buffet breakfast in the Brasserie Restaurant. We do continuously monitor our prices and keep them in line with the local market. I have passed on your feedback regarding the juice to the Restaurant Manager who will ensure this is monitored more closely in the future.

I hope you will allow me the opportunity to welcome you back.

Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The location is great because you are far enough away from Rundle Mall and the Casino so it is a bit quieter, but right next to the Central Market and all the restaurants on Gouger Street. Next door is a grocery store that opens at midnight nightly. Seemed a bit odd, but came in useful a couple of times.
There is some construction going on in Victoria Square so noise and traffic flow is a bit of an issue at the moment.
If you want to meet someone famous just go to the concierge desk and ask for Hugh. He was featured in an article in Qantas Magazine. The rest of the staff is amazing too willing to help out how ever they can.
The room is nicely set up so you can watch the TV while at the desk or on the bed. The bed itself is quite nice and comfy. My view was of the Victoria Square construction, but it would normally be a great view.
I highly recommend staying here.

I hope this review was helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear setcarp,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay at Hilton Adelaide.

I was delighted that your stay was enjoyable and you were pleased with your room, facilities and the location of the hotel. We are fortunate to be close to all the major shopping areas and popular restaurants on Gouger Street with the tram stop conveniently located outside the hotel.

As you mention Victoria Square is currently undergoing some upgrades however this is not causing any major disruption to our day to day running of the hotel and will result in a fantastic new public area with superb views from that side of the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Excellent location near Chinatown, good selection of local restaurants. Hotel facilities very good, room size and quality excellent. Only concern if travelling by car is that car parking at hotel is expensive.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Griffos4,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased that you were happy with your stay and the facilities the hotel provides. We are fortunate to be located in the hub of Victoria Square in walking distance to the Central Markets and China Town and close to other popular shopping areas.

I did note your comments in regards to the cost of car parking. As we are located in the city there is limited parking available. We do offer valet parking for $34 and a self-parking option for $18 per day if you would prefer a cheaper option. We do find that valet parking is the preferred option for most guests due to convenience. I hope this helps you for your next trip.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Overall the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was lovely and clean, however the bath was dirty. This was the only negative point of our stay. Concierge were extremely polite and friendly. The buffet breakfast was excellent. We have stayed here a few times already and we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Angela T,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and thank you for your continued loyalty.

I appreciate your positive comments regarding the service you received from the team and I am pleased you were happy with your room and breakfast provided. I did note your remarks in regards to the dirty bath which will be passed to our Executive Housekeeper to ensure more care is taken on the final presentation of the rooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in the near future.

Hilton Adelaide

Been to Hilton Adelaide? Share your experiences!