“get new cleaning staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges South Park Adelaide

You added Rydges South Park Adelaide to your Saves list
Rydges South Park Adelaide
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 South Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“get new cleaning staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We booked through wotif mystery deal for a 4.5 star hotel. What rubbish. Wotif is usually pretty good and I doubt they have actually stayed here themselves. Room is lacking a simple amenities map or brochure that actually tells you what time check-out is, where the gym and pool are etc. First impression - dirty. Taps in bathroom are mouldy, light switches are all dirty, behind the TV is obviously really really dusty, mini-fridge is smudged with something sticky that can easily be cleaned, windows look as though they have not been cleaned in about a month. Shower is cracked (maybe this is not easily fixed, but the toilet also has a crack)... Positives - free parking and lots of tea and coffee provided. Internet complimentary, although I had to ask for the password. I also had to ask about parking. I was not told where the restaurant or gym or pool is.. Pretty disappointed really. I've stayed in better Best Westerns.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor are quite noisy from the elevator or something
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

who is writing the last few reviews on this hotel. A one night stay, booked on wotif, who showed this as a 4star plus, was a shocker and I would caution anyone contemplating a stay to steer well clear. Ok.. it was the mystery deal - but certainly no pleasant surprises.
The only plus - the free parking..oh and the departure. Had a very bad sleep (no nice Rydges beds) due to the constant itching from the bedding. I contemplated sleeping on top of the bedding it was so bad. The shower was full of mould and cracked tiles. The offered free bottle of wine that came with the deal was a white, a red was not offered. The $20 voucher towards dinner could only be applied if you spent $50 - a tall order for one person - so not used. The area is ok if you need to be there, but be aware that the area has limited outside dining options. The room on the second floor was extremely noisy, not that I was sleeping anyway.
I am a Rydges member, but did not use it this trip. This hotel is an embarrassment to the group. Sadly for Rydges, the following night at the Mantra was fantastic.
There are plenty of ways to get a good deal on a hotel room these days. Don't bother with this one. There is absolutely no excuse for mouldy showers. None.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Alice Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I was having day surgery next morning (6:45am start) at a near by hospital and as I was from out of town, I had to stay in the city the night before.

The reviews of this hotel were generally negative, mostly due to noise. So I arrived with the knowledge that I may not get a good sleep. I was pleasantly surprised to find friendly reception staff, a clean and tidy room, minimal noise (even though my 1st floor room faced the 8 lane West Terrace), adequate dining options, a gym, and free internet. Yes its an old establishment, and yes the room furniture looked even older, but I got my moneys worth. To stay at a better hotel would have cost more, and would have been very inconvenient.

If I had to stay in that lonely corner of the Adelaide CBD ever again, I would definately use Rydges South Park.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Rydges South Park Adelaide, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Great service & value for money is what will differentiate us from other hotels in spite of being located on the Southern fringe of the CBD.

Look forward to having you stay with us again, when you next visit Adelaide and wish you a successful recovery

Longreach, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was part of a travelling team of colleagues, from three states of Australia, who delivered a workshop and forum on the top floor (6th floor) of Rydges. My bedroom was a spa room, which was spacious and had lots of windows enabling lots of natural light to come in. The function rooms had fabulous views over the parks and out to the Adelaide Hills. Two of us enjoyed a most delicious dinner at the restaurant (also on the 6th floor) where the chef delights in creating dishes using mainly ingredients sourced from South Australia. It's a small hotel with very friendly staff and in a very convenient location.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Rydges South Park Adelaide, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
That is awesome. Chef Peter Milosevic is born & bred South Australian and extremely passionate about his food. He will be delighted to hear your feedback.

The views from the 6th floor are absolutely spectacular and we are blessed to natural daylight filter into all our accommodation rooms and functions rooms.

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! Have a fantastic day!

South Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We recently stayed at Rydges in a Premier Spa Room for our wedding anniversary. The room itself was spacious and the view was good however that's it for the good part. Being on the 4th floor we were obviously located directly underneath the pool and had to contend with the motor/equipment humming all day until the pool shut at about 9-10pm and then again when is started at 7:00am, hardly relaxing. Our spa was large enough for two but the water pressure was poor and the temperate of the water was not as hot as expected, the spa took 40 minutes to fill.

Room service was good as we could not have eaten in the booked out restaurant. Staff were unhelpful (except on check-in) and seemed uninterested to be there.

Most hotels have a folder advising what facilities are available. Ours had a folder (stained) that was empty, so we had no idea when the pool closed (apart from when the humming stopped) when breakfast was, checkout time. If we weren't from Adelaide this would have been worse.

I was hoping that the included breakfast the next morning would make the stay better, however the bacon was nearly to the point of uncooked and I didn't finish my meal.

We expected that the hotel would be a little older than others in the city but for any future stays we will pay more to get better service and a decent nights sleep. I certainly wouldn't be recommending this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We booked 2 rooms here one for my husband and I and one for my parents. We are Rydges members and enjoyed a rate of $135 per room per night which I think it pretty reasonable. The other perk is that you can also avail of a complementary drink for each member of your group. Like the review below I was worried about staying here after reading previous reviews but I have to say I was very surprised, our rooms were very nice we had a full size bath, my parents room across the hall looked a little older but had a huge wet room style shower. We ate in the Skyline restaurant and the food was delicious, the service was excellent and being Rydges members we availed of the 10% discount on our drinks in reduced restaurant bill. This hotel gets the little things right, the staff are all extremely polite and the hotel offers everything a hotel should. We only stayed one night so I cannot comment on the pool etc but the carpark was free. I would definitely recommend this hotel I will be back!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Rydges South Park Adelaide, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Awesome!! Our Front Office and Food & Beverage teams are over the moon after reading your feedback.
We take great pleasure to ensure all our guests enjoy their experience at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Good place to stay if heading to Adelaide for some Adult time or to see a concert. Comfortable beds and clean facilities. Bar and Dining on site. Enjoy the spaciousness of a spa suite.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rydges South Park Adelaide? Share your experiences!