“Noisiest hotel in Adelaide” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges South Park Adelaide

You added Rydges South Park Adelaide to your Saves list
Rydges South Park Adelaide
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 South Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“Noisiest hotel in Adelaide”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011 via mobile

First time staying at Rydges in Adelaide and never again. Here for business and the hotel is the noisiest I've ever stayed at. (1) the rooms are not protected from the road noise at all, which continues on into the night, (2) the elevator makes a groaning noise which reverberates through the room in the dead of night, and (3) the walls are paper thin, so you hear EVERYTHING from the neighbors. If you want peace and sleep, avoid this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Rydges South Park Adelaide, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
My sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience during your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

The hotel is currently undergoing a great emphasis on service and focus on exceeding our guest’s expectations. This is what will differentiate us from other hotels and in this case we did not measure up to your needs.

The team endeavours to ensure all our guests have a comfortable stay and room changes are always available should one not wish to stay in our west facing rooms.

Wayne Woods

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The Rydges standards have slipped in Adelaide. Bathroom tiles in shower were moldy and seagrass baskets were very dusty. Room seemed tired and dated. Next doors air conditioner hummed all night. If you have the chance to stay else where do so.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Got room at bargain price, and was pleasantly surprised. Staff were extremely helpful and were more than happy to share their knowledege of the Adelaide CBD. Enjoyed a drink in the bar and took in the great views, and then had a great breakfast the next morning downstairs. Free parking was an added bonus. Will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bendigo Victoria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011 via mobile

Arrived on a busy weekday to find sole receptionist overwhelmed by phone calls and guests. Eventually made my way to my room to discover the minibar fridge propped open with a towel (never bothered trying to find out why). Tried to turn on the TV but there were no batteries in the remote. Went down to reception where the response from the still harried receptionist was 'not another one, here are 3 batteries in case they don't work'. Back up to the room tried the TV again only to find the aerial had been unplugged. Fixed that but couldn't get anything other than standard TV channels. Soon discovered that the walls were so thin you can here you neighbors next door and upstairs using bathrooms, watching TV etc. Only redeeming factor was a comfortable bed but woken by person in next room having an early shower and also by traffic noise.

Final insults included a shower of variable temperature and a delayed checkout because again only one harried receptionist.

The hotel was booked late and was apparently only one with rooms available. There seems to be a number of reasons why this was so.

• Stayed November 2011
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Rydges South Park Adelaide, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
My sincere apoligies for the inconvenience experienced during your recent stay at the hotel. The level of service you experienced is not the norm for a 4.5 star hotel and is totally unacceptable.

The hotel in recent weeks has recruited a new management team who are currently in the proceess of enhancing customer service to ensure we exceed our guests expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and we look forward to having you stay with us in the future and assure you a change in the quality of service.

Kind Regards,

Wayne Woods
Mount Gambier
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

To start, I must put into context that it is unfair to compare a hotel which charges less then $150 a night with one that charges over $200. In that respect I found the South Park to be a fine place to spend a couple of nights. Had a family room which cost $134 a night. The room itself was OK with big screen TV and two comfortable beds.

It could use a refurbishment, particuarly the bathroom which was fuctional but probably getting to the end of its lifespan. Still, it was clean and comfortable and i had no issues with noise from traffic, which seeing I live in the country means that maybe you don't need earplugs. For interstae/overseas travellers, the hotel is a 15 minute walk to the centre of the city but they do have a courtesy car for those who despise exercise.

There is a secure (ish) car park which is free and a couple of restaurants in the establishment. Hotel staff were courteous at all times and I enjoyed my stay.

Would I stay there again? Depends on my budget I guess, for a room for my wife and child at under $140 in the city with free parking, it is hard to beat. I certainly wouldn't cross it off my list.

Room Tip: For a quieter room request one that looks over the car park or for a view ask for the ones that don...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
GSFMel, General Manager at Rydges South Park Adelaide, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and for your positive comments. We are always trying to improve ourselves and exceed your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Katie Scholes
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

The good thing about this hotel was the staff... they were friendly and helpful and I was allocated a great room - I was upgraded to a "spa room". The room was really spacious but the furnishings and flooring were very tired and drab. On a positive note, although I'm not into spa's I did like the large, modern, marble bathroom and having a sofa and a small table and chairs was also a plus.
On the down side was the noise!!!! This hotel is on the corner of South and West Terrace so it is REALLY noisy. In addition to the traffic noise the rooms are not very sound proof. I had to keep checking whether I'd accidently turned on the airconditioner but it was either the air conditioner or spa noise from the room above or bedside me....! You can also hear whatever program the room next door is watching on TV.
The hotel is a good distance from any restaurant and the onsite restaurant has very limited choice. So... my adivce is to think about what you are looking for when you book to stay at this hotel and if noise doesn't bother you then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Theer are rooms to the side of the building that may be less noisy but they look over the car park o...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I was excited about attending a wedding reception at the Rydges having driven past it many times. I was very dissapointed with what I found though.

Upon arrival my husband and I were surprised how unfriendly reception staff was when we enquired where the reception would be held and how to get there.

Restaurant staff served nibbles on platters but as they were obviously understaffed for the 120 people wedding reception we only ever got one piece and never saw the waiters again. Table service was very poor, we were only asked what we wanted to drink twice all night and then had to go up to the bar ourselves which was right on the other side of the building.

The meals were very poor quality, especially for a wedding reception. The lamb we had was slightly browned on the outside and totally raw throughout. We asked for a replacement because we simply couldn't eat it but the waitress told us there was no more food, not even of the other dish on the wedding menu. The sizes of entree and main were very small. Dessert was wedding cake and the waiters completely ommited our table when they took around the dessert so we had to try hard to get their attention to get some.

Finally, the tea they served afterwards was less than lukewarm and way too strong.

Waiters appeared stressed and frantic all night because in my opinion they didn't have enough staff on to cover for full table service for so many guests. Very unfortunate. When we left the premises at midnight, the staff at reception was once again very unfriendly, no eye contact and dind't wish us a good night or anything.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
GSFMel, Manager at Rydges South Park Adelaide, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following on from your attendance at a wedding reception. We trust you had an enjoyable day with family and friends and enjoyed the celebration.

I am sorry to hear that you found the level of customer service from our reception team to be not of the standard expected from a 4 star hotel.

I do agree that a warm welcome to all of our guests is an important first and last impression in any business and I will ensure the team improve on this skill.

I have reviewed the feedback from the evening in regards to the dinner service at the reception. I would like to offer my sincere apologies that the lamb rack was served medium rare which wasn’t to everyone’s preferred liking. My understanding was that our chef recooked the lamb upon request to ensure our guests were satisfied and happy.

I have taken on board your feedback about the overall experience and will be sure to provide this feedback to the team.

Thank you again for your time.

Regards
Katie Scholes

Been to Rydges South Park Adelaide? Share your experiences!