“A very rushed trip through the beautiful Barossa” 3 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #3 of 103 Activities in Adelaide
Type: Tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: •Small Group Winery tours (max 20 people) •4 world class wineries, including Peter Lehmann Wines where we enjoy the famous Weighbridge regional platter for lunch (vegetarian option available), Langmeil (home to the oldest Shiraz vineyard in the world) & Murray Street Vineyards (awarded best cellar door in the Barossa)Explore the Barossa Valley with Taste the Barossa and you will enjoy a day tasting some of the best food and wine in Australia. We start the day at a relaxing 9am picking you up at your accommodation or a pre arranged point in Adelaide. We make our way out of Adelaide through the Adelaide Hills with our first stop the famous Whispering Wall where you will be fascinated by its famous acoustic qualities.Our first winery is the beautiful and historic Château Yaldara, this is one of the most photographed buildings in South Australia and no trip to the Barossa Valley is complete without getting a photo in front of this iconic building.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Brisbane, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“A very rushed trip through the beautiful Barossa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was in Adelaide on business and decided to stay on the weekend to do some sightseeing. Booked this tour based on the high ranking on Trip Advisor, so I had high expectations. There was some mix-up with pickup points and in the end we might have left Adelaide a bit later than planned once everyone was on board. And that surely was a sign for things to come. Throughout the tour I felt like we were catching up on time. John the driver was great, had a wealth of knowledge, very friendly and professional, but seemed to be on a tight time schedule the entire day. We visited the Whispering Wall, which was such a unique piece of architecture and engineering, then proceeded onto Chateau Yaldara. I was a bit disappointed about the structured wine tasting there: the wines were good, but it was really one sip after the next within a very short timeframe, I got the impression they were trying to hurry us through the door as quickly as possible. I did not have the chance to look around in the shop either so did not end up buying wine as originally planned.
The coffee break after was again quite rushed; we made a short stop in a little town called Tanunda and only had 15 minutes so we did not get to do much. Lunch was at beautiful Peter Lehmann Wines and John told us great stories of the man who made the Barossa Valley what it is today. I loved the wines and ordered a glass for lunch, which was a nice meat and cheese platter. There was another mix-up with the orders, so not sure what was going on in the office. Lunch was in a nice environment and everyone was enjoying themselves over wine and cheese, but as soon as he finished his lunch, John stood up and told everyone we should get going. I was really stunned as some people had not even had half of their lunch! Too much rush again and I couldn't quite finish my glass of shiraz, which was a shame - wine is meant to be enjoyed, not skulled.
Afterwards we had a nice stroll through the fields to the next wineyard (Langmeil), it was a beautiful day and great to be out and about. The tour finished at Murray Street Vineyards, which was another great winery.
All in all I had a nice day out, met nice people and drank some nice wine. But the whole trip was done in such a hurry and that really put a big dent to what otherwise would have been a truly enjoyable experience. People I spoke to on the bus also said it was all too much rushed, especially lunch should have been more relaxing. I understand it was another working day for John, but we paid for an experience and sadly this could have been better.

Visited September 2013
Dallas17, Owner at Taste the Barossa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hi JIG80
First of all, I am sorry your experience of our Taste the Barossa tour didn't meet your expectations. John is very disappointed that our first average review has come on his watch. In defense of John, we did have some issues with an agent giving the wrong pickup information. In those situations, we can either leave the passengers behind, as it's not our mistake, or try and look for them, so that they do not miss out on our tour through no fault of their own. We opt to spend a little time in trying to find them.
You mentioned the short stop in Tanunda, we are the only day tour that offers time wandering up the main street of Tanunda you may have have noticed the big 50+ seat tour buses driving through Tanunda without even slowing down! We also do the walk along the vineyards and stand in front of the oldest Shiraz vineyard in the world. The only thing I will take exception to, is saying it was just another work day for John, I don't know anyone who puts in more energy and passion than John.
Thanks for the feedback, we are always happy to try and improve in anyway we can.
Regards Dallas

• Korean first
West Sussex
51 attraction reviews
“Great day out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This tour was booked efficiently and pick up was from our hotel at 9.15am on the company's mini bus. The driver, John, was very informative and we learnt alot about the area, seeing kangaroos and emus on the journey. We visited four vineyards, all very enjoyable, and found out very much about Barossa Valley wines. We had a nice platter lunch at one of the vineyards and this was included in the price. All in all, a very worthwhile day out for $99. We were drppoed back at our hotel about 5.30pm.

Adelaide, Australia
“Brilliant day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

A fantastic trip! I don't really drink wine but went with family and thoroughly enjoyed the day. Dallas was a very good driver and guide and had a great knowledge of Adelaide, the Hills and Barossa. The trip goes to 4 of the best wineries and the lunch at Peter Lehmann winery was fantastic and showcased great Barossa food. Highly recommend anyone to take the trip.

Mascot, Australia
14 attraction reviews
“Incredible value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Fantastic bus trip through the Adelaide Hills took us to the Whispering Wall and then on to five great vineyards.Generous wine tastings, a lovely platter lunch and a lot of information about the wine making process from the vintners. Our driver John was a mine of information on South Australian history and brought us home safe, tired and happy. An excellent experience for visitors and locals alike. Highly recommend.

Melbourne, Australia
“The best way to see the Barossa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My parents and I joined Dallas on this trip recently and had a fantastic time! Dallas is a very well travelled guy but with a heart that belongs to the Barossa! He puts on a great tour, connects with all guests well and shares wonderful local knowledge. My mum said he was 'born for the job!' Thanks for a fantastic day Dallas! We would be happy to recommend you and your organisation to anyone!