“Average restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Average restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went to assaggio on a Saturday night for the first time and I am reluctant to says that it wasn't t a very good impression.
The service was good enough , but the food was quite average for a top end restaurant as they like to appear,the antipasto was nice but the mains were a let down as my wife had the fillet which was done medium rare but not very tender to cut so I asked for a steak knife and the waiter laughed at me saying : we don't have steak knife !,I had the pasta with Italian sausage sauce and I am disappointed to say that the pasta was really overcooked and quite average which is disappointing in an Italian restaurant .
The dessert was nice but they got my wife order wrong.
Then total bill came to $300 but I got a $100 bottle of wine.
Will I go back in a hurry? I think not,this is just another Italian restaurant like many in Adelaide but nothing more.

85% Recommend
Adelaide, Australia
“Great night of celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Tonight we had dinner with family for a birthday celebration. The staff were great very helpful and polite. All 5 of us enjoyed each of our dishes. There was plenty of food and no one left feeling hungry. My main was cooked to perfection and dessert was fantastic as well. There was also a small surprise for the birthday girl on behalf of the restaurant, which I found very thoughtful.
I would certainly come back here again. Thankyou Assagio

• Visited October 2012
AUSTRALIA
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

if you like Italian food this is a sure thing, always a pleasure and busy, good indication of the good food, not the cheapest but worth the money, atmosphere is really nice too

Visited May 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Great food but you wouldn't want to be in a hurry!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was part of a large group of 20 people and there was another group of 10 the same night, but even allowing for that, it was a slow service and a while between courses. If it weren't for the sorbet palate cleanser between entree and main course we might have fallen asleep!

The food on the other hand was exquisite - some of the antipasto dishes were quite unique, such as the olives stuffed with chicken and pork, and the zuchini stuffed with Gorgonzola cheese. The main courses were again excellent - my 300g pork rib eye was perfectly cooked and served with pear mustard fruit plus brocollini tossed in chilli, garlic and mandarin. Other mains of note included eye fillets of beef served on orange scented pumpkin, and grilled vl slices topped with a steamed prawn, scallop and shellfish braise.

For dessert all the Italian classics plus some more distant European favourites like Torte and Tiramisu are available, and an extensive cheese selection is available to finish off.

A wide selection of red and white wines adorn the walls, and many guests enjoyed perusing the shelves for their per course wine selections.

• Visited September 2012
Hobart, Australia
“A great night with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We went to this restaurant with four old friends for a re-union and had a wonderful night. One of our friends organised the night but had the same pre-dinner experience others have mentioned - great telephone service and reminder calls etc.

The restaurant was smaller than expected or maybe just better spaced. This was a pleasing aspect - there was plenty of room between tables for wait staff to move around comfortably and patrons to get in and out of their seats. Decor is modern but comforting.

We had shared entrees and this gave us a wonderful introduction to the style and quality of the food and a range of flavours. The choice of mains was difficult as there were several options that we all really wanted to try. Through luck rather than management we ended up with different mains and the concensus of opinion was it didn't matter what we ordered it would have been good. A range of desserts were also tried and they were of the same high standard. In summary the food quality was excellent and the plate portions healthy.

Table service was attentive and exemplary, staff wore gloves for service. The wine list is quite extensive and the value not too bad - most should be able to find a wine to match their budget.

All in all a great experience and one we would happily repeat next time we are in Adelaide. Not the type of restaurant most would go to every week but for a special occasion it was superb in all respects.

• Visited August 2012