“insolent, arrogant service” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Adelaide, Australia
“insolent, arrogant service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I chose Assagio Ristorante because I wanted to go somewhere fancy to celebrate a graduation. The menu was online and it looked amazing - they even offfer a whole vegetarian menu upon request (a bonus for my vego friends). We decided we'd all order from the vegetarian menu and while the food was fanastic, our waiter was horrible. It just so happens I'm allergic to nuts though, so I need to doublecheck and clarify any meals I selected. I was having trouble picking a mains dish that didn't have pesto (pine nuts) or walnut oil, and so on. One dish only looked like it used pesto as a garnish so I asked our waiter if I might be able to have it without the pesto. He started carrying on about how he didn't see why they should have to cook a meal that was vegetarian AND had no nuts. He then asks "what do you normally eat?" and I would've liked a chance to reply, except he thought he'd just carry on some more. Deducing that they weren't going to be able to prepare a meal for me, I said "okay, well we better leave it then" (not to mention I wasn't really enjoying myself by this point). Suddenly it was possible to do it, although I obviously had to be reminded that the when the chef crafted this meal, he'd had pesto in mind as an essential ingredient, therefore they wouldn't be able to guarantee it was going to be of the same excellent quality they were proud of serving. I'll spare you my thoughts regarding this, but suffice to say, this behaviour carried on for the entire meal. Every time he passed our table he made yet another snide comment. By the end of the meal I was nearly in tears (and did actually have a good cry when I got back to my car). I will never go back there and in all good conscience, I cannot recommend this place to anyone unless you like to get a good serve of abuse as a side order to your main meal.

Caloundra, Australia
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Lovely atmosphere, good old fashioned service, attention to detail, great tasting food, acceptable value for money, will definitely visit again when back in Adelaide.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious Italian.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012 via mobile

Located along the beautiful King William Road, Assagio's waiters make you feel very at home with their witty jokes and extensive knowledge about their cuisine.

The food is delicious, but in small quantities and the prices are steep, but it's a great place for business lunches, important events and romantic dates.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Five Star Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Brilliant for intimate dining or group dinners. This restaurant has it all. The food is brilliant. Modern european fare that is tasty and chic in its presentation. The service is amazing. Staff are exceptional and probably the best in Adelaide. Highly recommend.

Visited March 2011
Australia
“Top class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Food is always good, service is great. Prices are high but nice for a treat.