“New ownership and it shows!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Adelaide, Australia
“New ownership and it shows!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely perfect!
Great wine list
Tapas that were full of flAvour
Spectacular rabbit and mozzarella pizza
Service friendly and cool
Perfec tsunday long lunch! Try this old favourite again as its Had a clean up and a new lease on life. Revisit as you won't be disappointed!

Adelaide, Australia
“Unimpressed to say the least”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Recently I dined at your restaurant (Friday 18th May) with my partner, brother & sister in law (who are down from Newcastle) and mother in law.

I chose your restaurant to take my family to as my last experience was extraordinary.

On this occasion however it was far from that.

I rang Friday lunch time to change my booking from 7 people to 5 people and to start with my booking could not be found (I made the booking Saturday 12th May), when we arrived I told the waitress who I was and the time of our booking and was told that she would have to “shuffle” our table around as she was unaware of the change in numbers and our table was not ready?

When we were seated we were asked if we would like still or sparkling water for the table – we opted for still. I noticed that all the tables around us were drinking filtered water from jugs. When we received our bill and were charged $15.00 for 2 bottles of water I was most unimpressed. Our waitress did manage to remove that charge from our bill however if we had the option of filtered water from the beginning I would not have had to query that charge.

I was upset to see that you no longer serve Paella; this was the highlight of my previous experience with you. I understand that there is new management; I would highly recommend that it is added once again. This was the ONLY reason I suggested to my family that we dine at Sparrow’s, and to not have that meal at a “Spanish” restaurant was extremely disappointing.

Throughout or evening our waitress not once came to our table to ask if we would like any more drinks – I had to call her over on 3 separate occasions so we could order more drinks, on one of those occasions we did not receive the drink we had ordered which I had to ask for again.

After our tapas our empty plates sat on the table until our mains came out, this was for approximately 45 minutes, and then after our mains the table was not cleared until we had asked for the bill, approximately 30 minutes after we had finished. We were not offered the option to look at the dessert menu or if we would like a coffee.

Our overall experience was far from satisfying, our booking was for 6.30pm and we left the restaurant at 9.15pm, nearly 3 hours we were in your restaurant and not one of the people I was dining with could say that their experience there was good. Our waitress apologised every time she came back to the table “I’m really sorry for the service tonight, I do apologise” is what we kept hearing yet nothing changed.

I am quite upset with the service that we received; I had been talking very highly of your restaurant to my family and to come back a second time and have such a poor dining experience was an embarrassment.

The prices that you charge and the service received do not reflect each other.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, Australia
“Poor from every angle”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

Despite there only being 4 tables seated, our waitress still managed to to forget every thing we ordered... So we were very distressed when the place filled up.

Oh my, underwhelming, over-priced and a complete joke. The owner of this place should give himself an upper cut.. You are a pathetic human being.

1- hire more staff.

2- train your staff.

3- tell your staff to stop apologising for their own poor service

4- put the paella back on the menu, because from all accounts it is all you ha going for you

5- when you offer 'still' water, dont try and charge $8 a bottle for it. Its either 'sparkling' or 'mineral'. Still is tap water

6- clear your tables within 10 mins of your customers finishing.

7- the above includes glasses... My sangria glass remained next to me for the whole harrowing experience.

8- put some fruit in your sangria... Thats half of the drink for christ sake!!!

9- refill peoples drinks!!!!!

10- actually offer desert.

11- Set the table before your guests arrive.

12- find a cardboard box because you will be sleeping in it soon when you are broke!!

The manager should actually sit down for
a meal in this joint. It is truly pathetic, and criminal that you rob people of their hard earned money every week.... Your old, good name will only last so long you sad individual...

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“meh.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Hopes were high, expectations low from past reviews of friends... the food was underwhelming/ordinary and the service was overtly poor. I'd been willing to let them overcome what I'd heard in the past and they let me (and themselves) down.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“We were expecting More...Much more!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Serves are tiny, the quality is dependent on the vagaries of the weather...or something else. When we attended Sparrow's our food was either cold in the middle or scorching hot, it was reheated and or pre-pared and of very average quality, and the service well below par...not what we would expect of an up-market restaurant.
We vowed never to go back!