“Back to a good standard (almost)?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Port Dock Brewery Hotel

The Port Dock Brewery Hotel
10 Todd Street | Port Adelaide, South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia 5015, Australia
61 8 8240 0187
Improve this listing
Ranked #522 of 1,355 restaurants in Adelaide
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Adelaide, Australia
“Back to a good standard (almost)?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Came here for my birthday (51) lunch with my partner and out-laws; Service was lousy initially, with only one young lady running the front-bar and a line of patient customers waiting for service; eventually a second came out to assist with the surge. Ordering was a breeze and as customary, ordered/paid for our second round of drinks at the start which ensures some table service (which is appreciated).

Meals; we had two lots of fish & chips, S&P Squid, and I had a lobster rissotto from the specials board (when will I learn my lesson). The meals from the menu were first-class, but the lobster was just not cutting it. I am probably a little spoilt as the lobster I would have at Nanuya is majestic. At the end of the meal, not a crumb was left as the quality of the remaining meals was not ever in doubt.

Next time, I will leave the specials board alone and probably go with a pie-floater!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Port Adelaide, Australia
“Birthday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Today we celebrated my grandsons birthday for 20 family members all the food came out at practically the same time.
Children first 7 of them the rest were adults and the food was beautiful.
The staff were fantastic smiling and helpful and the atmosphere was great.
Good sized portions and good variety.
The room was set up so we had some privacy even though the Port Festival was on our overall experience at the Port Dock was excellent.
We will be telling friends and will definitely be going back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed a little”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Having been here recently and had a good meal, decided to take my father here for his birthday and he had the 'pie-floater' which was as good as last time. Partner had the burger per last visit too and the meat pattie was burnt, still moist on the inner, but certainly charred a little too much for our liking.

I had the Chicken Keiv (on the specials board), noting the incorrect spelling,,, and was looking forward to the garlic. Well, I eventually found the garlic, in a small pocket, about the size of a ten cent piece; sorry but this doesn't cut the mustard with me.

Drinks,, the old-man had one of the local brew Stouts and it was delicious (I had a taste), I wanted to take some home, but it wasn't bottled; myself, had a couple of Wirra Wirra reds which were just fine.

I think this restaurant can do better (and have done).

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Loved the beer and the memorabilia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Visited June long weekend Monday after reading of the historic pubs in Port Adelaide. we chose Port Dock because of the stout brewed in their own micro brewery.
For lunch my friend had spaghetti carbonara and I had the captains seafood platter. Good sized portions and the seafood was all beautifully fresh. I paid extra $3 to have my oysters Kilpatrick. The worcestershire sauce was an odd thick sweet sauce more like a bbq sauce. My advice would be to have to oysters natural. Also, they were served on a bed of rock salt and the salt leached into the other food.

The bar staff really know their product and gave great service. The Ginga ginger beer was refreshing with the seafood platter. Also had the Black Diamond Bitter and the Black Bart Milk Stout. Good stuff. You can see why they've won awards for their beers. We'll try the Old Preacher and Port Dock ale next visit.
Adelaide can be a funny place. For all that so much of their economy is based on tourism, the locals can be very self contained. so no friendly chats with the other lunch go-ers. I thought one woman was about to speak to me but she just asked where the toilet was ;-) The bar staff made up for that though. Friendly and helpful even though they were very busy.
There's a huge range of shipping memorabilia set around the hotel covering trade to Kangaroo Island and New Zealand. Interesting stuff.
All in all a fun and relaxing long weekend lunch.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Hey listen up.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I attended the Port Dock Brewery Hotel with a friend from Sydney that was visiting me. I had made a note of a few places I remember as being a good place to eat. We walked in and the place was almost deserted. The fellow behind the bar asked “how can I help you gents?” and provided us with menus. The menu was excellent. I ordered the Thursday special; $10 schnitzel. I had the chicken with mushroom sauce and my friend the beef (no sauce). I am often dubious about ordering schnitzel but when mine came it wasn’t fatty or oily it was 100% delicious. I had mine with the salad and it was fresh fresh fresh. My friend said that the beef was bigger and better quality then any he had had before. As a drink I asked about the house red. He poured me a very generous measure finishing a bottle he however apologised that it was not full and said it was on the house. I also asked for a mugachino to come with my desert – a macadamia and ganache sundae with ice cream. I gave no instruction for the coffee but it came with my desert piping hot, excellently made and excellent quality coffee. The waiting staff were extremely friendly – I went to the bar because the coffee had equal or sugar but I asked if they had stevia, a bush natural sweetener 400 times sweeter than sugar cane. She said we will have to get some and thanked me for letting her know about it. I felt as though the staff had been trained to treat every customer as a potential undercover critic. Very happy with the service.

I haven’t been there for a while and it looks like they have redone parts of the ceiling. The ambience was fabulous.

• Visited April 2013