“It is what it is!” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Whitsunday Passage, 4802, Australia   |
London
“It is what it is!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

For what you pay this is what we expected. Rooms are fine, very clean and no issues here, certainly could have done with an upgrade which we understand is now happening.

Staff were superb, really pleasant on the desk and extremely helpful porter that will ferry bags back and forth from the hotel to the pontoon.

Pretty setting, nice wildlife around. Pool and bar area are fine. Buffet food was good, if a little overpriced but not massively.

The island is very picturesque and has some nice walks through the woods to other more secluded areas.

We enjoyed our time here.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main hotel are quieter
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed at Breakfree Long Island in January with my girlfriend for 3 nights. Better late than never I suppose.

We decided to travel to Long Island mainly because we got it on a very affordable package deal. I was not expecting the world with this deal but I was looking forward to a few days of relaxation.

I could see why it was so affordable when we arrived to our hotel. It is basic. It reminded me of a school camp lodge that has been retrofitted to become budget accommodation. The air conditioner (an essential in the tropics), is an old school box wall mounted style that rumbled like an idling V6 engine, making sleep a bit difficult. The bathrooms appeared to have been recently renovated and are very nice. But besides that, the rest of the room is very basic.

Food options are limited, being the only resort on the island. You are trapped to the options provided by the resort. Breakfast is either continental or the full buffet. Lunch is either the buffet restaurant or the shop on the island does sell more affordable salad wraps, which was the option we went with. Dinner is the buffet restaurant again, which from memory was around $40pp. Beverages can be purchased from the shop and there are two bars available for alcoholic beverages. Average beer price is $8. One tip I would give and regret not doing is taking your own food and drink to the island. Snacks and drinks at island prices really add up, just do a bit of shopping at the Airlie beach woollies and bottle shop beforehand, buy the snacks and drinks that you love and your stay would be a lot more pleasant.

Staff at the island was mixed. What I noticed was that the younger staff members (people in their 20’s and early 30’s) were really good. They were friendly, relaxed, helpful and really fitted in with the vibe of the island. The older staff members though tended to be bitter, rude and generally unpleasant. I know it sounds like I am stereotyping but unfortunately it is the truth. A basic request that shows this is when we asked for beach towels for the day. On our first day we went to the front counter to get some towels, the young man fulfilled our request with a smile. The next day when we asked to get some new towels while returning the old ones, the older lady behind the counter said it was possible only if we paid for the towels. When we stated that this wasn't the case the day before, she accused us of rorting the system! This is just one example of the unpredictable good/bad staff we encountered throughout our stay.

One thing I was really looking forward to was going out onto the jetty and going some fishing. Unfortunately, due to only having carry on luggage, I was unable to bring my own fishing gear up. Not worried though, as I planned on hiring some equipment. I was shocked to find out the prices to hire fishing equipment. I’m not talking about hiring out some top quality rods, but only to hire some cheap plastic hand reels. The reels, tackle box and bucket had to be hired out individually per day. If you throw in some bait, it came to $50 per day! That is insane. Everything at the island seemed to come at a price! It is cheap to get there, but the money is made on the island.

It’s not all bad though! The island itself is beautiful. There are heaps of cute rock wallabies on the island. Cockatoos are everywhere and tend to fly up onto your balcony. The wildlife on the island is something to truly behold.

To sum it up simply, I thought we were getting a real bargain. Instead, we got exactly what we paid for. I would never tell anyone not to go to the resort but if someone did ask for my opinion I would give the following tips
- Bring some food (chips, lollies, snacks, cereal, bread, ham, cheese, olives etc)
- Bring your poison of choice. I am very glad that I brought a bottle of scotch with me
- If planning to fish/snorkel, bring your own gear. Also get checked luggage on your flight so you can bring your fishing gear.

Room Tip: Don't get the cheapest room. It'll remind you of school camp!
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
OceanGroup, Manager at BreakFree Long Island Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for providing your feedback with regards to your recent stay at Long Island Resort.

During January we announced the exciting news that long Island Resort will be closed from the 30th January 2015 in preparation for planned major refurbishment works.

Kind regards

Long Island Resort Management
Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2015

I only found out the hotel was closed for refurbishment by chance when I asked how to arrange transfers less than 2 weeks before our arrival. We had paid in full.

I was offered alternative accommodation in Airlie beach which is hardly an alternative to staying on an island in the Whitsundays. We will be given our money back but are left paying more money as few hotels are now available. I asked if the company were prepared to cover the difference (£30)and they said no.

I cannot comment on the quality of the hotel as we didn't get to stay in it but taking your money and then not telling you the hotel will be closed speaks volumes regarding customer service. I suppose they were assuming we would only find out about the closure in arrival thus securing a booking in their sister hotel in Airlie beach.

Hopefully others in our situation will read this! If so then email the hotel ASAP!!!!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
OceanGroup, Manager at BreakFree Long Island Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2015
Dear emh515,

Thank you for your feedback.

After announcing on 5th January that we would be closing for a major refurbishment program from 30th January 2015, we endeavoured to contact all guests that had made a booking. There was a very limited number of bookings that only had an email address, but we managed to contact these, or the booking agents who had sent through the booking did. We apologise if you were not notified either by us, or your booking agent, however, we only had the contact details provided to work with.

Kind regards,

Long Island Resort Management.

Travelers are raving about these Long Island hotels

Fresh Meadows, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015

We were extremely disappointed with this accommodation and location. Our travel agent, Flight Centre recommended it as the best location to have an opportunity to see the Great Barrier Reef. This was not correct Hamilton Island would have been the best location as the boat-WhitSundays Cruises leaves from there directly.

The Break-Free Resort website is misleading, it is propriety. This is a one hotel one island set-up. There is not an abundance of restaurants, bars, and cafes as stated on the website. It is like signing up for the Survivor show, I do not recommend visiting unless you care to rough it.

When we arrived, we were placed in room 9/11. I let the woman at the front desk know I was from NY and in the city on the day of the tragic disaster (I had gotten a police escort home) and did not feel comfortable with the room assignment. She laughed and did not offer a comparable room.

On our way to the room, each set of accommodations units are set up like a military base, looking run down like a ghost town. The view was not at all like the website, we were expecting hammocks and beautiful views. There was 1 hammock on the entire beach line. We were also told there were many jellyfish and sharks on the water (so basically-swim at your own risk), no thank you. Further, on our way to the room there were many wild life animals as the hotel is encased in a wildlife park. There were feral wallabies (cute, but scared of us), wild turkeys (digging up dirt and throwing it everywhere at us), devil birds (squawking and running at us), and beautiful cockatoos flying around (they were the only beautiful thing on the island---other than the wallabies).

We were a couple and the room had one full bed and 2 bunk beds (there were vintage military green blankets on the beds). The room was antiquated. The bathroom looked decent.

Our travel left us to arrive at the hotel past 7:00p.m. After a long day of travel we had looked forward to a warm shower, and dressing for a romantic dinner. As we got ready for dinner there were monsoons. We were not told about the wet seasons, definitely not good. After we got ready, the rain lightened up enough that we ran back to the front desk to inquire about the abundance of restaurants as mentioned on the website.

The woman explained there was one restaurant and it was open until 8:00p.m. She urged us to run and eat because it was 7:55p.m. We had 5 minutes to eat and there is only a buffet for dinner at $40 per person. The restaurant server offered the meal to us at half off considering we only had 5 minutes to grab food and eat. Definitely not the romantic and peaceful dinner we had wanted. The food quality was also less than desirable.

We finished our food like we were in a race. We then attempted to walk around in between monsoons. There was a rundown gazebo that was meant to be a bar that offered board games to entertain guests. The alcoholic drinks were costly at $20 dollars a head and did not have much alcohol in them for the price. There was not much to do on the island other than watch the rain and all board games were taken because of the lack of any other options.

The vending machine was empty the entire time we were there. There was no general mini market to buy snacks or soft drinks. The souvenir shop was closed the entire time we were there, which offered coffee. You could not obtain coffee during the breakfast. We ended up taking a cup out our hotel window to get water (like a Survivor episode).

Would not recommend this island or resort at all. We felt like we were in jail the entire time. We attempted to get a refund from our travel agent without success.

This was the worse trip ever. We would not recommend this place at all. We are truly disappointed and horrified we went with the travel agent's recommendation. From the website, the resort looks ideal, but it is not accurate from our experience.

Room Tip: Do not recommend at all. awful!
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
OceanGroup, Manager at BreakFree Long Island Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2015

We have recently announced the exciting news that long Island Resort will be closed from the 30th January 2015 in preparation for planned major refurbishment works.

Kind regards

Long Island Resort Management
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2015 via mobile

The rooms are pretty basic but are with all the necessary mod cons. The island is great to discover with oysters just lying on the beach. The walking trails are great to discover and do are the many beaches and bays around. Best value with the special deal.

• Stayed September 2014
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2015

Due to our limited time in the Whitsundays area we actually visited Long Island as independent daytrippers. We caught the earliest morning ferry from Airlie Beach and the last ferry back from the Long Island jetty the same day.

We were blessed with a gorgeous blue sky day, and the tide was in that morning making for picture postcard views. A hearty buffet breakfast in the Resort restaurant was enjoyed before setting off to explore on foot.

I was enthralled by the fuzzy baby Curlew chicks, comical Bat Fish, Wallabies near the beach, tiny mudskippers and pretty butterflies dancing around. When I wasn't exploring walking tracks or fixated on wildlife I was relaxing near the Resort's pool, dangling my legs in the water or at the beachfront bar sampling numerous delicious icy mocktails. The resort staff I encountered were friendly and courteous.

As someone more interested in nature and not after upmarket resort experiences, Long Island ticked a lot of boxes for me as a day trip/future stay destination: accessible, affordable, nature walks, pretty beaches and new wildlife for me to photograph! Our day visit to the island proved to be a very enjoyable experience - our departure even coinciding with a sunset!

I was sorry to read about the resort's pending closure here on Tripadvisor. I really feel for the guests who have had poor experiences and I admit to feeling frustrated at management's somewhat canned responses.

It is my hope that the natural elements of the island and resort surrounds will be preserved and that the 'resident' wildlife continue to call the resort area their home. The Bat Fish feeding session was a highlight for me so I hope they will stick around. I look forward to returning!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2015

The misses and I have recently spent a week at this resort. The island is Awsome to get away from the normal commercial holiday destinations. It is fairly quiet and basic but we felt that added too the feel and atmosphere of being on a island away from the busy tourist areas. The hotel is fairly ran down but it is now closed for Reno's so it will be Awsome once finished. The island walks are also great as a different activity to do. The best part was the swim up bar which the staff really made enjoyable. Nick and Emily were the two bar staff and they made the week very enjoyable. Highly recommend this island to everyone especially once it reopens as a new hotel. Cheers

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to BreakFree Long Island Resort? Share your experiences!