“A basic hotel but really in heaven.” 4 of 5 stars

You added BreakFree Long Island Resort to your Saves list
BreakFree Long Island Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Whitsunday Passage, 4802, Australia   |
Melbourne, Australia
“A basic hotel but really in heaven.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The rooms are pretty basic but are with all the necessary mod cons. The island is great to discover with oysters just lying on the beach. The walking trails are great to discover and do are the many beaches and bays around. Best value with the special deal.

• Stayed September 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Due to our limited time in the Whitsundays area we actually visited Long Island as independent daytrippers. We caught the earliest morning ferry from Airlie Beach and the last ferry back from the Long Island jetty the same day.

We were blessed with a gorgeous blue sky day, and the tide was in that morning making for picture postcard views. A hearty buffet breakfast in the Resort restaurant was enjoyed before setting off to explore on foot.

I was enthralled by the fuzzy baby Curlew chicks, comical Bat Fish, Wallabies near the beach, tiny mudskippers and pretty butterflies dancing around. When I wasn't exploring walking tracks or fixated on wildlife I was relaxing near the Resort's pool, dangling my legs in the water or at the beachfront bar sampling numerous delicious icy mocktails. The resort staff I encountered were friendly and courteous.

As someone more interested in nature and not after upmarket resort experiences, Long Island ticked a lot of boxes for me as a day trip/future stay destination: accessible, affordable, nature walks, pretty beaches and new wildlife for me to photograph! Our day visit to the island proved to be a very enjoyable experience - our departure even coinciding with a sunset!

I was sorry to read about the resort's pending closure here on Tripadvisor. I really feel for the guests who have had poor experiences and I admit to feeling frustrated at management's somewhat canned responses.

It is my hope that the natural elements of the island and resort surrounds will be preserved and that the 'resident' wildlife continue to call the resort area their home. The Bat Fish feeding session was a highlight for me so I hope they will stick around. I look forward to returning!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The misses and I have recently spent a week at this resort. The island is Awsome to get away from the normal commercial holiday destinations. It is fairly quiet and basic but we felt that added too the feel and atmosphere of being on a island away from the busy tourist areas. The hotel is fairly ran down but it is now closed for Reno's so it will be Awsome once finished. The island walks are also great as a different activity to do. The best part was the swim up bar which the staff really made enjoyable. Nick and Emily were the two bar staff and they made the week very enjoyable. Highly recommend this island to everyone especially once it reopens as a new hotel. Cheers

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were pleasantly surprised by the accommodation having read some negative reviews, however it was clean and had all the necessities. You cant beat the view from your room as you are right on the beach and just meters from the water.

We found the staff to be really friendly. There was only one night from the four we were there that dinner in the restaurant took ages to come out (we waited about an hour and a half but the other nights we never had any problems).

The island itself is just stunning and that's what you really go there for. The beach is amazing and there is so much wildlife around, its nice to be amongst all that. Would you go for the hotel experience, no. If that's what your after you are better off staying in Hamilton Island. However if your after a nice relaxing nature trip then Long Island is perfect.

I recommend for couples or families as it is a quiet place with only the hotel on the island.

Room Tip: Ground floor beach front rooms are the best as you step out your bedroom onto the sand.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
EASTLAKE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

BreakFree is definitely geared towards couples or families. I was there as a solo traveler and there were very limited options for social interactions.
The room was fine. Clean but a bit spartan which was fine.
The communication could have been better. I had some issues for some trips I wanted to take but it would have been a lot easier and cheaper if they had been a bit more upfront with me.
Thank goodness for the nice cashier in the snack shop or it would have been a complete mess. She was giving me better information than those working behind the desk.

So I am going to recommend BreakFree but make sure you ask LOTS of questions because useful information will not be forthcoming unless you do.

Room Tip: Get one closer to the water. Wifi is absolutely crappy throughout.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
San Nicolas de los Arroyos, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

A quiet and clean place to spend a week. Is not expensive, and has a good food.

Anyway, you could find one stupid person anywhere. We were there for five days, and the wi-fi did not work, it is not the problem, when you be there, you will forget wi-fi. We only needed send an email to our relatives in order to advise that is everything OK. We asked at reception, but a woman said "We do not have internet anywhere", I don´t know how, but she used the postnet to charge a credit card of a couple. After three days, the same woman continued saying the same "We do not have internet", so we decided go to Airlie beach send an email and comeback to Long Island, when we were buying the tickets a seller said "If you only need send an email, let me ask in the reception if they could give to you a notebook for a few minutes", Magically the internet at reception started to work.

Room Tip: Do not worry, all rooms are excellent
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Vancouver British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2015

This was a very beautiful place. There were birds everywhere. We saw kookaburras up close and could hear them as we were waking up. There were cockatoos and bush stone curlews. The bush stone curlews would come around to our table by the snack bar and stand motionless. There were magpies with melodic calls. The turkeys were everywhere. We had multi-coloured lorikeets eating applesauce out of our hands. We stayed at Barefoot lodge, which was a dorm located on the path leading across the island. We had the whole place to ourselves. We had wallabies hopping around in front of the lodge. There were also wallabies that came along the beach and ate pineapple from our hands. We played mini golf, took the kayaks out into the bay and swam in both pools. My daughters liked the hot tub. The beach is very shallow so it was a walk to get out far enough to swim at low tide. We walked the short distance to the other side of the island. Pelican Island was easy to access at low tide. There were hundreds of tiny blue crabs which scurried away along the beach when we approached. Then they buried themselves in the sand. We beachcombed in the warm sun. We ate both at the snack bar and in the restaurant. In the restaurant we had onion soup. I had pork in a delicious sauce. One daughter had beefsteak with a superb sauce. My other daughter had chicken in a Macadamia nut sauce. Excellent. The chef is very good. The desserts included mousse au chocolat, patisseries and fruits. The stay on Long Island was one of the highlights of three weeks in Australia.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to BreakFree Long Island Resort? Share your experiences!