“An interesting experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Long Island
EASTLAKE
“An interesting experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

BreakFree is definitely geared towards couples or families. I was there as a solo traveler and there were very limited options for social interactions.
The room was fine. Clean but a bit spartan which was fine.
The communication could have been better. I had some issues for some trips I wanted to take but it would have been a lot easier and cheaper if they had been a bit more upfront with me.
Thank goodness for the nice cashier in the snack shop or it would have been a complete mess. She was giving me better information than those working behind the desk.

So I am going to recommend BreakFree but make sure you ask LOTS of questions because useful information will not be forthcoming unless you do.

Room Tip: Get one closer to the water. Wifi is absolutely crappy throughout.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
San Nicolas de los Arroyos, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

A quiet and clean place to spend a week. Is not expensive, and has a good food.

Anyway, you could find one stupid person anywhere. We were there for five days, and the wi-fi did not work, it is not the problem, when you be there, you will forget wi-fi. We only needed send an email to our relatives in order to advise that is everything OK. We asked at reception, but a woman said "We do not have internet anywhere", I don´t know how, but she used the postnet to charge a credit card of a couple. After three days, the same woman continued saying the same "We do not have internet", so we decided go to Airlie beach send an email and comeback to Long Island, when we were buying the tickets a seller said "If you only need send an email, let me ask in the reception if they could give to you a notebook for a few minutes", Magically the internet at reception started to work.

Room Tip: Do not worry, all rooms are excellent
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Due to our limited time in the Whitsundays area we actually visited Long Island as independent daytrippers. We caught the earliest morning ferry from Airlie Beach and the last ferry back from the island the same day. As we did NOT stay on the island I can not comment on the Long Island Resort accommodation.

We were blessed with a gorgeous blue sky day, and the tide was in that morning making for picture postcard views. A hearty buffet breakfast in the restaurant was enjoyed before setting off to explore on foot.

I was enthralled by the fuzzy baby Curlew chicks, comical Bat Fish, Wallabies near the beach, tiny mudskippers and pretty butterflies dancing around. When I wasn't exploring walking tracks or fixated on wildlife I was relaxing near the pool, dangling my legs in the water or at the beachfront bar sampling numerous delicious icy mocktails. The resort staff I encountered were friendly and courteous.

As someone more interested in nature and not after upmarket resort experiences, Long Island ticked a lot of boxes for me as a day trip/future stay destination: accessible, affordable, nature walks, pretty beaches and new wildlife for me to photograph! Our day visit to the island proved to be a very enjoyable experience - our departure even coinciding with a sunset!

I was sorry to read about the resort's pending closure here on Tripadvisor. I really feel for the guests who have had poor experiences and I admit to feeling frustrated at management's somewhat canned responses.

It is my hope that the natural elements of the island and resort surrounds will be preserved and that the 'resident' wildlife continue to call the resort area their home. The Bat Fish feeding session was a highlight for me so I hope they will stick around. I look forward to returning!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This was a very beautiful place. There were birds everywhere. We saw kookaburras up close and could hear them as we were waking up. There were cockatoos and bush stone curlews. The bush stone curlews would come around to our table by the snack bar and stand motionless. There were magpies with melodic calls. The turkeys were everywhere. We had multi-coloured lorikeets eating applesauce out of our hands. We stayed at Barefoot lodge, which was a dorm located on the path leading across the island. We had the whole place to ourselves. We had wallabies hopping around in front of the lodge. There were also wallabies that came along the beach and ate pineapple from our hands. We played mini golf, took the kayaks out into the bay and swam in both pools. My daughters liked the hot tub. The beach is very shallow so it was a walk to get out far enough to swim at low tide. We walked the short distance to the other side of the island. Pelican Island was easy to access at low tide. There were hundreds of tiny blue crabs which scurried away along the beach when we approached. Then they buried themselves in the sand. We beachcombed in the warm sun. We ate both at the snack bar and in the restaurant. In the restaurant we had onion soup. I had pork in a delicious sauce. One daughter had beefsteak with a superb sauce. My other daughter had chicken in a Macadamia nut sauce. Excellent. The chef is very good. The desserts included mousse au chocolat, patisseries and fruits. The stay on Long Island was one of the highlights of three weeks in Australia.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

So firstly given the circumstances, the staff who were only told about losing their jobs at about the same time we arrived, kept their chins up fairly well. I know I would have said "stuff it I'm just going to leave". Props to Sophie, Eden, Matt, Tim, Pearl, Anthony, Connor, Kelcey, (the other kids club lady sorry forgot your name!) for being as positive as you could be in such an uncomfortable situation.

Secondly as I had to realise, It is only classed as 3.5 stars. most people expect a 5 star resort still.... it had all of the facilities of a 5 star resort, but just poorly maintained - which is probably
why the owner chucked in the towel and decided to close up and start over...

As our first family holiday we were mostly HAPPY! My partner just had to remind me - its what you make of it babe... so make of it we did! my 5 year old LOVED "the whitsundays" LOVED it ... She will talk about it forever I'm sure!! She loved the kids club girls :))) she loved the pools. she loved the turkeys, she loved the wallabies, she loved the lizards, she loved licking green ants bums (HAHA) she loved making new friends, she loved the "nature walks", she loved finding fresh coconuts and drinking the juice, she loved the day cruise we did on the "Camira" (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) she loved the karaoke night, she loved the desserts and coco pops for breakfast every day because - HOLIDAYS! she loved drinking a milkshake at the swim up bar like an adult... the holiday was really for her anyway, so if she loved it - so i loved it too...

No, not everything looked like the brochure or the pamphlets, no it wasn't looked after so well, no not everything was available to us, but were we going to sit there and mope about it? NO! After a good Chat with the resort manager - who also loses his job (sorry forgot your name? is it Steve?) we came to an agreement. he was very understanding and apologetic and I just feel bad that there has been a cluster of mishaps that he now has to rectify... It's not any of their faults.

I wish you all the best of luck on your new endeavors....

Ps my 60 minute facial made me fall asleep it was THAT GOOD!!!!!! thank you Jade!

Room Tip: beachfront in 400 block.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Words are inadequate to describe the beautiful location. I stayed three weeks, two solo, and we all enjoyed it so much. In reading the recent reviews about the closure and management's 'exciting' news about refurbishment - I hope sincerely the refurbishment is only that (a refurbishment). There would be nothing more ghastly and appalling than this place having a building any higher than the current one, infringing on the natural surrounds, or becoming overly commercialised (e.g., like Hamilton). The appeal of this place is its natural feel; the views are perfect, water simply beautiful, walking tracks lovely, wildlife delightful, the vibe relaxed. Anything beyond a refurbishment will absolutely and unequivocally ruin the place. In spite of the many negative reviews listed here recently (what on earth do people expect at this price for this location?!?!?!) I heard many people express the same sentiment; massive concern about making the place an eye-sore. The only small criticism I had (irrelevant really now) was the food/cocktail expense, especially over a long period. It would also have been nice to be able to purchase casual/light food in the evening. Almost all the staff were absolutely lovely, especially the two women in the shop. Staff maintained a positive, professional demeanour even after the news of a closure. Other reviewers have complained about servicing but the amount of servicing was clearly stated when I booked. There were only one or two exceptions in relation to staff professionalism, and for the number of staff working there, that's a low percentage. The only sort of people who could be totally disappointed with this place over the Christmas/New Year period (given the largely beautiful weather and gorgeous, gorgeous views, water and natural outlook) must have wanted to stay inside.

Room Tip: Ocean view room worthwhile paying more for.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Bellingen, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We have just returned from a week on the island and had a most enjoyable family holiday (2 adults, 2 boys 9/7). Yes, the resort is a little tired (they were only rated 3*, so not sure why others on this site expected more?), but the gorgeous location made up for any shortfalls in the rooms/resort. Our room was ocean front located on the first level and was clean, tidy and adequate for our needs (we only showered and slept there..). Air conditioning was a little noisy, but worked fine and didn't worry any of us sleeping. The views and ocean breezes during the day were delightful and all the abundance of wildlife on the resort was incredible. We spent many days lazing in and around the pools and found them not only to be clean, but very relaxing. The swim up pool bar opened on our 3rd day and whilst the sand bar was great, it was lovely to be relaxing in the pool with a beverage. We utilised the canoes, paddle boat, JetSki, kids club and walks and enjoyed it all. We snorkelled straight out of the resort and the coral and fish life were great. The walks on the island are fantastic and the views stunning and plenty of wildlife from goannas, wallabies, turtles, sharks, fish, bats, bush turkeys and loads more. There was different entertainment every night of our stay and we enjoyed participating in it all. The food was great and good choices and variety every night. It would be nice to see another food option in the future but the Buffett was certainly adequate and tasty. As far as food price goes, not sure if many people reviewing go out too much, because you cannot go to many restaurants and get 3 courses for $38... We found all the staff very helpful and pleasant, yes the place is closing, but they all did their best to make our week stay enjoyable. We did 2 tours whilst we were there and thoroughly enjoyed them, the Whitehaven half day especially. The full day barrier reef tour was good, but too long a journey out there, especially if you are feeling a little see sick.... The only thing we thought could be better priced was the ferry service. We would have loved to go to Airlie Beach for the day, but at over $200 for the family, thought this was a bit steep. Hopefully the resort will reopen as we would definately come back again. If you want a true Whitsunday Island escape, then Long Island is definately the place to go. Hamilton Island, although lovely, is very very busy and not what we were looking for in an island getaway. Thank you Long Island, we have lovely holiday memories forever.....

Room Tip: Will not matter now as closing.......but upstairs oceanfront if they reopen.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Been to BreakFree Long Island Resort? Share your experiences!