Got this 5 day package on a Scoopon deal for $499 for five nights in a beachfront room. The room although fairly basic (as expected) didn't disappoint; it had a lovely new bathroom, and seriously the beach view was one of the best I've ever had, with lovely louvre windows letting in the breeze. For two people it was great; for a family (it had two bunks in there as well as the Queen bed) it would have been seriously squashy. The bed was comfortable by the way.
Be warned though: you will go through a LOT of money on this island. Drinks are very expensive, food options quite limited (there's a pool bar menu and expect to pay around $25 a meal there) or an evening a la carte with 3 choices and an open salad and dessert bar for $38 per head. The food was fabulous though. Brekky was a hot buffet $20 or continental $11.50, both were pretty good without being outstanding. There seriously are no other options for food on this island - the resort shop has very little, in fact the vending machines were a better option most of the time. So either bring heaps of food with you, or be prepared to pay very dearly. Ditto your drinks!
Transfers: It's also quite expensive to get to the island, cost us around $120 each round trip from Proserpine Airport, so you need to factor this in - suddenly our cheap airfare wasn't so cheap!
And finally the resort itself? Stunningly beautiful surrounds, resort I would say quite run down and unkempt, not awful but could be so much better! Both pools were kept nice and clean though.The bonus was the wildlife, tame birds, wallabies and the like, just incredible.
To do: lots of bushwalks but with limited views of anything. Free kayaks (but only within small time frame of within two hours of high tide) and trips to other islands are very expensive. But if you want a place to just chill out and soak up the beauty, swim in the warm ocean or enjoy sunset cocktails while hand feeding your chips to a tame cockatoo, this is your heaven. We loved it. Five days was enough though. Will we come back? Possibly not, but if we did, we'd be better prepared with our own stocks of food/drinks! Cheers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- What makes the perfect holiday? That something special. That magical something that lives on in your memory for the rest of your life. That indescribable feeling where years later you still get a warm fuzzy feeling about your holiday. Long Island Resort in the Whitsunday’s has all the magic that the holiday maker could ever want. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your BreakFree Long Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Long Island Hotel Long Island
- BreakFree Long Island Resort Whitsunday Islands, Australia