“Nice place to get away from everything” 4 of 5 stars

BreakFree Long Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Whitsunday Passage, 4802, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Long Island
Melbourne
“Nice place to get away from everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was my first trip to Long Island and will be back to stay next time.
We live 6 months in Airlie and 6 months in Melbourne and know the Islands well.
It is a bit as someone said unpolished which I liked.
Its not crowded which is great.
Nice beaches.
We only had lunch at the Bar pool. Very nice I had Chicken Parma and my husband had the seafood pasta.
We looked at the room and they were nice and clean.
All the staff that we had anything to do with were nice.
This would be a great place to just get away from everything and everyone.
It is a lot different than Day Dream and Hamilton.
Think it would be a great place to stay with little kids as well.
Don't think teenagers would be that happy here.
We will be back.
Plus I was reading some reviews on the food.
Our food was fine but if it wasn't why not say something?
If you don't say anything there can't fix it. Just be nice about.
On the Island the turn over of staff is high so it may be a new cook or anything.
Our food was lovely. Plus pricing was ok as well

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Stayed for 5 nights but wish it could have been longer. The location is beautiful. The water is so clear and clean. The staff are wonderful - courteous, cheerful and efficient. Dined in the restaurant every evening. Meals were different each night and delicious. My compliments to the chef ! Plenty of activities to do, or just simply relax on the beach or under the palms. Slightly older-style accommodation, but very comfortable. I had a ground-floor beach room with an uninterrupted view of the bay. Wonderful !! I certainly would like to go back again.

Room Tip: Can't go pass a beach view room in the "quite" zone if you want to "get away from...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Melbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Long island resort is unpolished and that was ok for me. I went to a beach island for...the beach. If you want perfection and all the finishing touches go to another island.
Whilst the 2 pools, bar, restaurant, spa, reception, entertainment area are finished, quaint and adequate, the rest of the island is modest & natural.
Grainy sand runs along the front of the beach room and just as you would want it to. Kick off your shoes, step outside your room, your here!
the rooms are basic & I wouldn't want them any other way, Im there to be on an island not in my room. In saying that the bathrooms have been recently renovated.
The staff are friendly & really relaxed, about what you'd expect for northern QLD. Coming from Melbourne, i found this a little frustrating at first. LOL. But it forced me to slow down and let go.
The island sits nesseled in a large bay, mostly safe from the wind. With another resort & 4 other walks around the Nation Park island (for those who cant sit still long like me), sporting a huge pair of wedge tail eagles, wallaby's - so friendly they eat from your hand, cockatoos & many bush turkeys. There is even a friendly local turtle, who floats around the pier which you can kayak out to or do the turtle kayak tour with the water-sports team.
The food, now I must admit this is one area I just can not lower my expectations & Im please to say, I did not have to. The menu is fairly simple at the bar, but the food is fresh & made to order. However the restaurant menu changes daily and offers entrees & desert. Win!
Overall Id say, go there for the beach, weather, the water, the water activities and the amazing views the Whitsundays is so famous for (that it is so beautiful..it will make you cry) and you cant be disappointed!

Room Tip: Beach front or beach views
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I went with my family on July 16 th for 1week we had 2rooms which we asked for, and they were both ground floor, I could not fault it , staff were lovely, everyone was so helpful, we ate at the hotel, although it was a bit expensive it was well worth , there is not loads of choice but you could have somthing different every night, the breakfast was lovely and for just $18 you could eat everything , they have fruit cereal, fried breakfast , tea coffee , toast ect ..as for the place itself there is so much to do, from exploring to swimming , crazy golf tennis, ect, my self and my family loved it, kids would be so safe here , would take the stress out of it for mums and dads, they organise lots of trips for you as well, one thing I have to say if you want to go to the Great Barrier Reef trip , book it as soon as you get there , don't leave it till middle of holiday as you will miss out like i did, if I had to have One Moan , the swimming pools could have been warmer Book It

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 11 nights, and couldn't think of a bad thing to say! Staff are amazing, service was excellent, food was outstanding, plenty of activities to do and just a beautiful island. Would highly recommend this place any day, and will be returning no doubt soon enough!!!

• Stayed August 2014
Glenning Valley, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This resort is expensive for what you actually get however the location is great. The rooms are basic and could do with a bit of tlc I attended a wedding wich was perfect and really well done. My advise would be to wear a stinger suit.

• Stayed December 2013
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

You get what you pay for... This was one of the cheaper resorts in the islands at the time of stay. It is not a five star resort, you aren't paying for that! The rooms are basic. A double bed and small bathroom. It was disappointing upon arrival but we didn't spend much time in the room.

The location is an island and it's beautiful. There is some nice walks around if you want to explore and you can find some deserted beaches.

If it rains there is not much you can do but play table tennis if the table isn't in use.

The pools are not great and it's not the place to go if you want to do activities all day. They have water sports but only at certain times if the day so you need to plan.

My partner was a fan of the buffet and it wasn't badly priced for all you can eat.

We stayed 7 nights and I think 3 would be good, then move to a different resort. There were minimal children at the resort which was a plus. I would strongly consider daydream island next time as the price was on par and even if it is more family based I would put up with the kids for better amenities. We passed through on a snorkeling trip and regretted the Long Island resort pick.

The staff seem unfriendly and seemed also to regret their choice to work there.

Worthy of a stay if you are on a budget.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
OceanGroup, General Manager at BreakFree Long Island Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Harmanator85,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your stay at BreakFree Long Island Resort. I have noted that you stayed with us some time ago, in December 2013.

I am pleased to learn that you found the location of the resort to be beautiful and that your husband enjoyed the buffet at Palms Restaurant.

It is disappointing to learn, however, that you found the staff to be unfriendly and you can be assured that I have passed this feedback on to my team to ensure the expectations of future guests are met and exceeded in the future.

Over the past two years BreakFree Long Island Resort has undergone a range of refurbishments, behind the scenes as well as to the rooms and public areas. Most recently we have replaced all of the beds in the Beachfront rooms, renovated the Reception foyer floor and renovated the public toilets. These improvements are an ongoing process with many projects planned for the near future.

Thank you again for your feedback and if you wish to discuss any of the issues you have raised in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at emma.waterman@breakfree.com.au.

Kind regards,

Emma Waterman
BreakFree Long Island Resort.

Been to BreakFree Long Island Resort? Share your experiences!