We stayed here as we have a week in hamilton island for a conference so we wanted two days somewhere else nearby that is quiet. We were prepared to spend up to around 300 per night but there were no options on Long Island at the time of booking only this hotel for 109 or one for 600. So we weren't expecting much but this place is very poor. The setting is great and the location is great on the water and nice walks in the area. The hotel however was really substandard and felt like some backpacker joint. The food was awful every day. We only stayed two nights. The bar food was very average. Even when ordering just plain cooked prawns they were not fresh and had white stuff all over them, just not presented decently. The salmon was completely overlooked. Even the burgers were below average. One evening we ate at the restaurant with three courses. The fish was so small and not nice. The steak was so tough we only ate half. If one wants to have a drink outside then all drinks and wine is served in plastic glasses which are cloudy and not pleasant to drink from. The rooms are quite bad. The curtains don't go across the full length of the window. The furnishings are old, the paint jobs bad. The bathrooms are newish but all the materials are shabby and rusty already, the ceiling full of mould. One has to keep the windows open as the place does not smell good. The cleaners clean as much as they can but the place needs maintenance. There is nowhere nice to sit outside the rooms despite the great surroundings, everything is shabby. There is no privacy at all. The rooms are not soundproof from next door or above. The buffet breakfast looked bad so we just had coffee at the cafe, but it doesn't open until 8.30am. Even just to get a pool towel one has to pay deposit which is fine but also $5 which is not refundable when you return the towel per person. I don't know why one has to pay to use towel at resort. I was very upset when I realised we could have stayed at the nearby Palm Bay resort on Long Island. It has only reopened fairly recently after changing hands and they have separate bungalows available from 150 per night or 190 beachfront. Their gardens are so nicely manicured, the location is excellent, and the bungalows have nice, private places to sit outside. I don't know why anyone would stay at this hotel versus the Palm Bay resort. It was just unfortunate we didn't know about it at time of booking this one. The location of that other resort is spectacular and although they don't have a restaurant yet they have many delivery options of fresh food and seafood. Overall I would not recommend this hotel to anyone as although it's in great location and Long Island is great for a peaceful break there is not much point if there is nowhere nice or private to relax and unwind, or if the food is no good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- What makes the perfect holiday? That something special. That magical something that lives on in your memory for the rest of your life. That indescribable feeling where years later you still get a warm fuzzy feeling about your holiday. Long Island Resort in the Whitsunday’s has all the magic that the holiday maker could ever want. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Tingo, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, HostelBookers, Venere and Otel so you can book your BreakFree Long Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Long Island Hotel Long Island
- BreakFree Long Island Resort Whitsunday Islands, Australia