“4751 Characters- You must read all of this!” 5 of 5 stars

BreakFree Long Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Whitsunday Passage, 4802, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Long Island
Mooroolbark, Australia
“4751 Characters- You must read all of this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My partner and I stayed at the Breakfree Long Island Resort for a period of Ten days, so I feel rather qualified to make judgment of our stay.

In a Word, Wonderful!

I have read some of the bad reviews on these pages and have come to the conclusion that these people that have whined and whinged will be the ones that complain Hell is not Hot enough when they get there!

We arrived at Long Island in the early afternoon an were met by an extremely cheerful fellow who took care of our bags and transported us to reception along a beautiful tree lined path. First impressions were good (Remember, I have read these reviews also,and, was not quite sure what to expect!) Reception Welcomed us to the Island, gave us our room keys and gave us the direction to our room. We wandered of in the direction given to us enjoying the tree lined paths and the abundant flora whilst listen to birdsong, Magnificent! Apon arrival at our room we found our luggage had been delivered so we set about "Settling In" It was at this time I discovered through my own fault , I had left an important bag back at Hamilton Island airport! Explaining my predicament to the staff at reception, They instantly got on the phone and to use a cliche, "Saved The Day"! The bag was recovered at Hamilton Island Airport, placed on the next available ferry and thenceforth, delivered to our room.

I cannot thank the staff involved with the recovery of this bag enough! I was certainly most relieved.

Our room (105) was comfortable, pleasant and spotless! We found the room exactly as depicted in all the Brochures.
Housekeeping deserve an Honorable Mention in the way they kept our room in a pristine condition. Well Done Guys!
Ours was a Lower level room, and, we found this to be delightful.We did not spend many of the daylight hours in our room as there are so many beautiful places on the Island to while away the hours. The views of Happy bay, the foreshore, the Coconut trees was a refreshing sight Morning, Noon and Night. The visits by the local Wildlife was also greatly enjoyed. The Cockies are amazingly gentle and polite, Quite often we would have 4 or 5 of them sitting around us waiting for a titbit. Once given a snack ,they soon returned to the trees. The Wallabies,thou timid, could be coaxed to feed from our hands.

Dinner Service begins at 6pm.
We entered the restaurant a little after 6 to be met by a delightful young Lady who showed us to our seats and explained the menu and offed instructions for the Buffet and desert bar. Thanking Her we proceeded to avail ourselves to the extraordinary selections available as an entree. WOW!
Main Course followed, and again, what am I to have? The selection was indeed difficult! So much to choose from! Selections made, we sat back and eagerly waited for our main to be served! Very shortly after our meals arrived. We were NOT disappointed. A few words, succulent, perfectly cooked and very very tasty!
Desert followed and again, superb!
The following morning we were treated to a magnificent Breakfast. Selection would satisfy any Gourmet! The Mushrooms were my favourite!

I read in another review, how another complained of not having a tablecloth upon their table! The lack of said tablecloth did in no way detract from my meal. It was in fact a reminder of how fragile the environment is in this part of the world and perhaps it might reflect the Resorts "Responsible Environmental Management" in not releasing harmful residues into the surrounds in having to launder said tablecloths

If this Resort were to be awarded "Stars" The standard in the restaurant
would scour a 5 Star rating. It is that good

Night time entertainment left us wanting more. Very entertaining but alas, by this time we were tired and thus, eagerly sought our beds! Surprising how tired one becomes whilst relaxing and doing nothing!

The Cafe/Shop serves a beautiful Takeaway coffee. Many of these were enjoyed whilst studying the views. Had I known prior to the extensive range of nicnacs,souvenirs and other merchandise I would have made enquiries about buying shares in this business. My partner loved both the store and the ever smiling person behind the counter!

The Pools, wonderful!
The Grounds, wonderful
Thanks to the Groundkeepers!
The resort was always kept "as shiny as a new pin"

The Bar and Staff manning the bar . Exceptional! Many pats on the back here!

Watersports, Again Wonderful. Thanks for the transportation for our picnic!

I have not singled anyone out in this review as I feel everyone has provided exceptional service. To do so would be unfair on everyone else that might not be in the public eye. Together everyone made our stay wonderful

THE NEGATIVE! Yes there is one!

We had to leave and come home!

We Will Be Back

Room Tip: 105 was nice!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
wollongong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had 6 nites here recently and it poured rain for 4 days sure the resort is a little outdated but I found the resort good for the price paid $130 a nite for a beachfront room. Rooms were very clean and the staff very attentive. The guy behind the bar Nick was very good quick and hard working. I couldn't fault the food was definitely value for money especially if you compare to the other islands.had a facial and massage with the male therapist definitely worth the money very professional. We only had a stuff up with our transfers when we were leaving the islands the mature blonde receptionist assured me I didn't need a ticket to get on the ferry but the first thing I was asked for on the ferry was where was ticket?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lapstone
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a 3 star resort and aptly graded. The rooms are mainly in blocks, double storey. I'd describe my room similar to an ordinary 3 star motel room. Furniture was a little outdated, but bed was quite comfortable. No lounge, but a small table with two wooden chairs and a small bench area was built in against one wall. Small fridge and ample wardrobe space. (I finally found the light switch for the room inside the wardrobe) However, the bathroom, though smallish, was quite modern, nicely tiled with a good shower, toilet and vanity. There was a small outdoor area facing towards the beach with a wooden table and chairs. If you pay extra for a beachfront unit be aware though that some of them only offer partial views through the trees. Don't expect manicured lawns and gardens usually associated with a resort. Most of the common area above the beach consists of course sand with shell particles. The beach consists of quite course sand too, and not as nice as you might expect.
There is quite a large area which is paved, with ample seating between the beach and reception. The bar area is quite large and fits the 3 star category in my opinion too. Certainly not what you would call intimate or with furniture of any luxurious quality. The two pools are quite nice and one has a swim up bar at one end.
The restaurant is quite large, again not of an intimate nature, with wooden tables and seating, no tablecloths or the like. Most nights a serve yourself buffet entree and sweets is offered and your choice of main course is brought to your table. The dinner hours are 6pm to 8 pm and I'd suggest you start early if you prefer a long relaxed dinner, as they tend to close the service and buffet soon after 8pm. I must say I found the food to be excellent, and worth the price paid. A reasonable breakfast is served each morning and it's not expensive. The bar also serves food throughout the day (and evening) which I consider is overpriced.
All the staff all seemed friendly and approachable and willing to help with any problem.
The view from the resort across the water to other Whitsunday islands is absolutely outstanding. I haven't yet found a better place for water views anywhere as lovely as the Whitsundays. Ferries will take you to the resort from the mainland at Shute Harbour (or Hamilton Island) in just 20 minutes at a ridiculously high cost. There is no cheaper alternative.

Room Tip: If you've paid for a beachfront room, ask for one that has a FULL view to the water. The upstai...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Rooms are horrible. Dogy bathroom renovations.. Shower floods into the bathroom.. Rust coming through the roof... Noisy air conditioner... Our double bed was two single beds pushed together... After 5 days when the room was being services we asked for clean sheets they said they changed them but didn't... Just remade the bed with the old stained ones (spilt coffee)... Food is horrible.. I've had better at road side dinners.. Way over priced inconsistant with the ingredients and proportions... So over priced.. to eat there will end up costing more then the actual price of accommodation.. To purchase Anything from their shop is a joke.. $4.50 for a packet of Rice crackers... Garden rooms are nothing like the view in the advertised photo... More like 80s concreted areas with some spindly plants.. We had problem with a roudy drunken room staying above us... No security or staff on of a night time and noone answered the emergency phone number when we called it.. (Complete joke... For safety reason we will not be returning to the resort with our kids as we originally planned) after complaining we were the ones moved!!! No apologies or reason given to why no one answered the emergency phone...
Also a staff member bowed to me and called me your highness in front of other guests after we complained... which at that point we disided to stay in our rooms till our time was to go home as it seems we were the joke for complaining....

• Stayed February 2014
OceanGroup, General Manager at BreakFree Long Island Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Onemilebeach,

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay at BreakFree Long Island Resort.

First and foremost, our sincerest apologies about the service you received. This is certainly not condoned and I would value the opportunity to speak to you further on this matter. Please contact me at emma.waterman@breakfree.com.au.

It is unfortunate that you didn’t enjoy the food on offer at the time. We have since revamped our menu at both Palms Restaurant and the Pool Bar, with the changes so far being well received.

In order for our guests to enjoy a more cost effective holiday, we also offer a range of packages that include all or some meals, as well as transfers and accommodation. This can allow for guests to budget adequately and save some money too. These packages are available to everyone.

BreakFree Long Island Resort does have a person on call every night and can be reached by telephone. Please be assured that I am investigating the reason as to why the phone was not answered in this instance and why your issue was not dealt with effectively. Our guests’ safety and comfort are of our utmost importance.

As previously mentioned, I would value speaking to you in person about the service you received and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Emma Waterman
BreakFree Long Island Resort

Travelers are raving about these Long Island hotels

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I read a lot of reviews after I booked our trip to Long Island, and was concerned that I might be disappointed. However I found I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Cruise Whitsunday's got our bags from the plane after we landed at Hamilton Island and loaded them on to the boat for transport to Long island. The Cruise Whitsunday and the airport staff were fantastic at getting us all sorted for our trip to the island. When we arrived at Long Island we were greeted by the friendly Luke who transported us to reception and retrieved our bags, taking them to our rooms. He gave us a run down of facilities and activities as we got checked in and found our rooms.

I found Long Island a fantastic resort for a family trip! Fantastic staff who all went the extra mile to help make our stay enjoyable. Extra special thanks to Nick at the pool bar for his understanding of our special needs (traveling with a child with Autism is a challenge) and always understanding our requests and making us feel that nothing was too difficult.
The rooms were clean and comfy. Bathrooms are fresh and the room on the beach was beautiful.
Food and drink is a little expensive but they do have packaged deals. We spent about $100 a day on food for a family of 4. However we never bought breakfast, we bough some supplies with us.
The activities were great. The kids loved the mini golf and the pool bar. We enjoyed tubing and kayaking. The kids loved feeding the Bat fish in the afternoons.

If I was to give any negative it would be that when you have a lot of single men working at a resort, there are times when the 'family's' come second to the pretty female backpackers. This was disappointing to see a few times and did make me thing that it takes away from the family atmosphere. But on the other side of the coin it was great to see employee's like Nick and Luke engaging with the kids which allows the parents to relax.

This in NOT a five star resort, but it a fantastic 3 stars (maybe a bit more) and with great, friendly staff they certainly win my vote.

Room Tip: Get a beach front room. It's so much nicer.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My family and I stayed in early dec 13 was all inclusive, 3 buffet style meals a day pool bar serves food in between, the food was good and always left satisfied. Friendly helpful staff , we stayed in beach front room meters from the water, magic views. Resort a little dated but, well maintained, clean without the price tag of neighboring islands. We would recommend

• Stayed December 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

The beautiful surroundings make Long Island a good place to stay. The beaches are pristine and wild parrots fly overhead. There are several walking routes around the island. Rooms are reasonable and there are numerous activities planned. I went snorkelling and did the "mixology" class. The only let down was some of the food (I only had breakfast and lunch). The selection is a little poor. Christmas Day lunch was excellent though and good value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to BreakFree Long Island Resort? Share your experiences!