“A fantastic resort for a family” 4 of 5 stars

You added BreakFree Long Island Resort to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Whitsunday Passage, 4802, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Long Island
Brisbane, Australia
“A fantastic resort for a family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I read a lot of reviews after I booked our trip to Long Island, and was concerned that I might be disappointed. However I found I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Cruise Whitsunday's got our bags from the plane after we landed at Hamilton Island and loaded them on to the boat for transport to Long island. The Cruise Whitsunday and the airport staff were fantastic at getting us all sorted for our trip to the island. When we arrived at Long Island we were greeted by the friendly Luke who transported us to reception and retrieved our bags, taking them to our rooms. He gave us a run down of facilities and activities as we got checked in and found our rooms.

I found Long Island a fantastic resort for a family trip! Fantastic staff who all went the extra mile to help make our stay enjoyable. Extra special thanks to Nick at the pool bar for his understanding of our special needs (traveling with a child with Autism is a challenge) and always understanding our requests and making us feel that nothing was too difficult.
The rooms were clean and comfy. Bathrooms are fresh and the room on the beach was beautiful.
Food and drink is a little expensive but they do have packaged deals. We spent about $100 a day on food for a family of 4. However we never bought breakfast, we bough some supplies with us.
The activities were great. The kids loved the mini golf and the pool bar. We enjoyed tubing and kayaking. The kids loved feeding the Bat fish in the afternoons.

If I was to give any negative it would be that when you have a lot of single men working at a resort, there are times when the 'family's' come second to the pretty female backpackers. This was disappointing to see a few times and did make me thing that it takes away from the family atmosphere. But on the other side of the coin it was great to see employee's like Nick and Luke engaging with the kids which allows the parents to relax.

This in NOT a five star resort, but it a fantastic 3 stars (maybe a bit more) and with great, friendly staff they certainly win my vote.

Room Tip: Get a beach front room. It's so much nicer.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My family and I stayed in early dec 13 was all inclusive, 3 buffet style meals a day pool bar serves food in between, the food was good and always left satisfied. Friendly helpful staff , we stayed in beach front room meters from the water, magic views. Resort a little dated but, well maintained, clean without the price tag of neighboring islands. We would recommend

• Stayed December 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

The beautiful surroundings make Long Island a good place to stay. The beaches are pristine and wild parrots fly overhead. There are several walking routes around the island. Rooms are reasonable and there are numerous activities planned. I went snorkelling and did the "mixology" class. The only let down was some of the food (I only had breakfast and lunch). The selection is a little poor. Christmas Day lunch was excellent though and good value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Mascot, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon early December 2013. We had a ground floor beach front room, which had spectacular views. The room was big enough, had a queen and a single bed, a very small table and a chair and a bar fridge. Could have done without the single bed and used a lounge and coffee table!

Friendly staff on arrival who deliver your bags to your room and can tell you the best things to do on the island. Mini golf, tennis, table tennis, games room, walking tracks, 2 pools, plenty of sun chairs, volleyball, jet skiing, snorkelling, kayaking. Swim up bar in the pool, always a positive.

We prepurchased 3 days of 3 meal buffets. Food was plain, cooked for the masses. Drinks at the bar are reasonably priced. Gift shop was expensive. Lots of wildlife walking around the island, birds and wallabies who will come pretty close to you.

Would consider coming back here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I plus our 2 children aged 5 and 2 stayed for 5 nights in a beachfront room on Long Island. The bed configuration was a queen size bed and a bunk. I agree that the place is in need of a reno and this was happening whilst we were staying there. Room was great and bathroom nice and new, away from the poolside bar and upstairs. Ants were always found in and around the toilet so that needs to be looked. We found the free activities great for us, that included kayaks and paddle boats, mini golf, tennis, table tennis, bush walks... Always something to do and the weather was perfect! We lived at the poolside bar; great pool for kids and their confidence improved throughout our stay. We had daily visits from cockatoo's which the kids loved.
We did find the pricing of food and what you got quite expensive especially when there are 4 of you! So factor that into your costs. We ended up bringing quite a lot of snacky food for the kids which saved us a lot in the long run.
The food costs and what was on offer for families was my only gripe but other than that a great relaxing family holiday and I would recommend it!

Room Tip: For families with young ones I would recommend to get a room upstairs and away from the poolside bar...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
leicester, uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of February, booked the resort well in advance which was a mistake, we paid over $200 dollars a night and subsequently found that others were there on Groupon vouchers and had paid a fraction of the cost, also when I checked their web site whilst we were there the rates had halved. The rooms are very old and run down, the aircon unit was all rusted up, the valance on the bed looks as though it had never been washed, curtains were full of small holes, furniture was like something out of a 1970's holiday camp. Bathroom had been refurbished and was clean and modern, which in a way made the bedroom area look even worse, even a lick of paint and some new bedding would make it look better. We had a beach front room which I am really glad we paid the extra for as the view made up for the room.

Food, had read previous reviews about it not being too good so stocked up on the way down to the ferry at a small supermarket (just on the right outside Airlie beach) and got some essentials in such bits for breakfast etc. Ate at the pool bar most nights, a couple of meals were ok, but the others were not nice. The bar closed very early depending on the number of people there, one night it was 9pm, so also suggest getting some beer etc as there is a fridge in the room to keep it cool if you want to stay up a bit later.

Pool area really nice, beach and wildlife lovely. Water sports good and guy who runs it really friendly all in all good value. Other staff at the resort all seemed quite friendly.

Overall I wish we had stayed longer at Airlie beach as I didn't realise it was only a short ferry ride to the island and really not worth the cost for where we stayed.

Room Tip: Get a beach front room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
OceanGroup, General Manager at BreakFree Long Island Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear elaine&ivan,

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay at BreakFree Long Island Resort.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the pool area, beach and wildlife and thought our staff were friendly - I will be sure to pass that on to them.

Additionally, we too love the recently refurbished bathrooms in the Beachfront rooms and think the view is just beautiful.

Over the past 2 years, and continuing into 2014, BreakFree Long Island Resort has undergone a number of front and back of house upgrades and we are excited by the progress made so far. Over the next 12 months, further upgrades will be made to the property, including the rooms, of which we are also very excited about.

Thank you again for your feedback and if you wish to discuss any of the issues you have raised in more details, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Emma Waterman
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week and had an amazing time. There's lots to do on the island like walks, sports, and water activities.

I'd read reviews that people had problems with the staff but everybody we met was extremely friendly and helpful. Always had a smile.

For a budget place, the rooms were overall pretty nice. Hopefully you'll be outside most of your stay anyway so the room shouldn't affect you too much. However with that said, they could be cleaned a little better. For example the light shade above the bed was very dusty, something you only notice when you lay down in bed and see all the dust hanging above your head. The shower head in the bathroom was also very dirty and had green stuff growing on it. Overall it seems like sometimes the cleaners forget to look up when doing their job! Speaking of the cleaners, we were woken to a knock on the door before 9am one morning by house keeping wanting to service the room. It's a resort guys, people want to relax. Maybe before 9am is a bit too early to start knocking on doors?

I think the best thing for the resort would be for the staff to actually pretend they are visiting the place for a few days to see things from a visitor's perspective. It might help notice things like room cleanliness, that it can be hard to get down to the beach sometimes (the concrete ramp is cracked and has a sign fallen across the middle of it) and that maybe closing the store at 3pm each day is a bit too early.

Finally, a bit of a warning for those taking to the walking tracks. We took one of the circuit walks and managed to get lost. For a short time the walk goes onto the beach, but then goes back into the bush again. It wasn't clearly marked, and we missed it, and ended up walking along the beach for an hour. Was still a nice walk, but not what we planned. The next day we walked the circuit from the other end first (which I think is marked as the finish) and we found the correct path. Maybe some signs here would help? We also encountered VERY large spiders across the tracks, and a few snakes as well. So take a stick with you and watch your step.

Overall, the negatives were only small, and if you go into the holiday with a positive attitude you're sure to enjoy yourself. Beautiful location, friendly and helpful staff, and lots of activities on the island. Thanks to everybody for making our stay so relaxing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: We paid for a garden view room but were upgraded to a beach front, maybe because it was the quiet se...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Justin93,

I am pleased to hear that you had such a nice time on the island and you found our staff to be friendly – I have passed this feedback on to them.

Please also be assured that I have spoken to my Housekeeping team regarding your room cleanliness. It is very important to me that we are meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations in this aspect and I will be staying on top of this issue.

The walking tracks on Long Island are maintained by the Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing, as they are through National Park and not part of the BreakFree Long Island Resort property (only accessed by it). I have, however, advised the Department of the issues you experienced, who will tend to them as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your feedback and I would love to welcome you back to BreakFree Long Island Resort again in the future.

Kind regards

Emma Waterman
BreakFree Long Island Resort

Been to BreakFree Long Island Resort? Share your experiences!