The concierge desk at the airport was a really nice touch and helped us feel at home from the start. The free transfer to the reception was well organised and the Reef View reception area was very welcoming (note WiFi only available in reception areas not rooms). The handy resort map was a lifesaver while we were there.
Whilst it seemed to be school holidays there did always seem to be sun loungers available around the pools and the beach if you wanted one. The choice of pools was good and the 3m deep one was almost totally empty which was great for adults. The beach was best experienced at high tide as other reviewers have said, the low tide isn't too impressive.
The bus transport around the island was really well organised whereas the restaurant booking was less so. Couldn't get into premium restaurants for our whole trip so for dinner we visited Romanos italian twice (excellent), the Manta Ray cafe for pizza once and Sails one. If you do not have children and enjoy a proper dining experience with quiet time as a couple over dinner avoid Sails at dinner time like the plague. A glorified canteen! However, excellent breakfast there so definitely try it for breakfast. Best lunch was Pool Terrace club sandwich although the wraps at the Wild Life cafe were good. Lovely ice cream at the parlour (which says it closes at 10pm but realistically get there before 9.45pm). Make reservations at the bookable restaurants as far in advance as you can.
Rooms were great value for money with loads of space and excellent facilities. We found the air conditioning very quiet compared to other places we've stayed but we may have been lucky given other reviewers. Beds were comfy with lots of pillows and suitable bedding. Really good to have a bungalow to yourself it felt really cosy and exclusive.
We didn't hire a buggy because the bungalows are so well situated for everything and the bus service is excellent. We booked a trip aboard the catamaran "On the Edge". It was the best organised boat tour we've ever been on. They knew all about the tides, winds, best spots and were very democratic about what people's priorities were. Felt safe at all times and in their very capable hands. Food and drink purchasing aboard was well organised so you paid at the end which meant not having to fiddle around with cash all day.
Would have been a five rating if the beach had been nice all day long, the snorkelling had been better, the dinner options better/more available, WiFi in the rooms and the room had been a little more up to date.
- Also Known As:
- Palm Bungalows Hotel Hamilton Island
- Palm Bungalows Hotel
- Palm Hotel Hamilton Island
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palm Bungalows comprise 49 freestanding island bungalows situated in a tropical garden setting,each with its own balcony and outdoor furniture. Rooms are spacious and specifically designed for couples or small families. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Tingo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Palm Bungalows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.