“Hotel with a View” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Droitwich Spa Worcs
“Hotel with a View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Following a free upgrade we stayed for three nights as a package during our recent tour of Australia. A first class room with a first class view. Good food and serviced throughout. Would try and visit out of the school holiday period and ask ,for a high floor when booking. We really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend well worth a re visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors are away from any noise around pool area and get better views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hi MalViDroitwichWorcs,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm glad that you're holiday on Hamilton Island was 5 stars and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the near future.

Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I recently celebrated by anniversary on Hamilton in the Reef View Hotel. Matt had a bottle of wine waiting and a fantastic room.
I could not recommend the hotel or the service highly enough.
Thank you for making a wonderful memory that will last a lifetime.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Adam L,

I'm glad that you enjoyed your wine - we like to try and make guests feel welcome and really appreciate when guests choose to stay with us for a special occasion. Thank you for the 5 star review and I hope we see you again next year for your anniversary!

Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My girlfriend & I absolutely loved Hamilton Island. I've been all over the world and my holiday to Hamilton Island is still probably my all time favourite for a short visit (if you can stand the humidity!). Cannot recommend it highly enough (great for about a 5 night visit, it's pretty small so any longer is probably too much) - would love to return!

As for the hotel, some good and some bad:
- On the island you have a few options: Whitsunday Apartments is the cheapest followed by the Bungalows and then Reef View. Only ever stayed here at Reef View but check out the Bungalows for a lower cost romantic option. Whitsunday Apartments I've heard is more of a family style accommodation although a little dated apparently.
- For the good, probably the single best buffet breakfast I have ever had. Just beautiful! You get the option of going to the other buffets on the island, but the one here at Reef View is the best tasting. There's another one with great views but this one has the best variety and they cook eggs etc for you if you like. Delicious and great quality.
- Love the ability to use watersports equipment, very close to the beach (it's Hamilton Island, everything is close to the beach!), great gym classes, incredible pools etc BUT the ability to use all this is available at all the hotels (except Whitsunday Apts) as it's owned by the same owner.
- Worst thing was that we booked through FlightCentre a 'romance' package. This included a lot of great inclusions like a dinner voucher at a top restaurant, nice bottle of champagne on arrival, sunset cruise etc. But surely the one integral thing to a 'romance' package is a bed you and your loved one can enjoy together!!!!! When we arrived we were shocked to find that we had two double beds (too small for sharing) and not a king bed! Who sleeps in separate beds in a romance package??? FlightCentre did not disclose this to us and obviously we would've chosen a king bed! I instantly called downstairs and they said king bed rooms were not included in our package. In any case he said they were booked out of standard king bed rooms but if we wanted a king bed we could upgrade to a suite for an extra $300 or something ridiculous a night (which regrettably we simply couldn't afford). As romantic as Hamilton Island was, sleeping in separate beds was a total romance killer. Don't know whether it's FlightCentre's fault or Reef View's fault but either way we were not happy. Just be careful if you book any romance packages!!
- Seems understaffed although we obviously came at the peak period (coincided with summer school holidays). If you want to talk to the concierge, expect lines of 15+ minutes. Don't even bother calling the concierge, you'll never get through.
- Overall though, hotel largely suited our purposes. We spent most of our time outside the hotel swimming, lying on the beach, exercising, gorging ourselves at the buffet, yachting, snorkelling, tours, spas/saunas, bushwalking etc, our room was not much more than a base for our bags, a place to shower and a bed to sleep in. It was perfectly clean, convenient, spacious, air-conditioned and comfortable. As most young couples would appreciate, however, a large soft king bed is almost the single most important thing in a romantic getaway. Just make sure you know what the bedding arrangements are before you arrive!

Room Tip: If travelling with your partner make sure it is a king bed. Therefore be VERY careful if booking a r...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Tom929,

Thanks for reviewing Reef View Hotel. I’m glad to hear that overall your stay was great and that you loved Hamilton Island so much.
Thank you for your positive comments about our buffet breakfast and complimentary watersports equipment. It’s always great to hear this feedback directly from guests.
I’m sorry to hear that you were surprised to find that you had two queen beds rather than one king bed in your room. It is actually possible to have a king-Size bed on the “Romantic Escape Package” and I’m sorry that your travel agent didn’t make this clear to you. I encourage guests to book directly with us through our website as all of the information and terms & conditions are clearly marked. We also have a call centre if you have specific questions that aren’t answered on our site. I’m not able to mention our site name in this Tripadvisor response but if you Google “Hamilton island”, it will be the top result.
The “Romantic Escape Package” is very popular with newlyweds and couples on holiday and while many choose a single king-size bed, many are also happy with having two separate queen-size beds. Rooms at Reef View Hotel are a massive 65sqm, so there is plenty of room even with two queen beds.

It’s a shame that what would have been a 5 star stay turned into a 3 star stay due to an oversight by your travel agent. Feel free to email me directly the next time you want to come to Hamilton Island and I will ensure that you are completely satisfied with your room and bedding. My email address is mboileau@hamiltonisland.com.au

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Our stay at the reef view hotel were the best days of our honeymoon! We got a free upgrade to the suite on top floor and the view from there was breathtaking !! Their service was great, breakfast was lavish and ambiance was amazing. Thank you Reef View Hotel staff for making our honeymoon even more memorable!

Room Tip: Top floor is the best!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Meghz,

Thank you so much for your review - you've made my morning!
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope it is just the first of many visits to our beautiful island.

Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for choosing to stay at Reef View Hotel for our honeymoon. My staff and I wish you both a happy future together.

QLD australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I travel regularily and as every Australian (well travelled) knows.....its really hard for us to meet up to International standards.
I personally hate travelling in school holidays but as we have 2 kids (10 & 13) its hard not to, you dont want to drag them out of school (especially when they have started high school). So, we bit the bullet and thought lets try Hamilton Island.
My husband and I have been to Hamitlon a few times but just as a couple and not in school holidays and we loved it.
What a great Island this is, they really do have it down to a fine art. From arriving off your flight to check in.
When you arrive your luggage is bought into a large area. They call the flight you were on and advise this is your luggage....thank god, as otherwise you would have hundreds of people scouring through luggage that wasnt theirs.
They actually have a check in counter where they give you luggage tags to put on your bag when you collect them.Once you have found your bags, put your luggage tages on, you take them over to the pressicion of mini vans waiting for you (maybe 10mtrs away). They load your luggage for you and you jump on the van. Off you go to your resort!
On the short trip (10mins) you get a guided tour by the driver which was nice.
When you arrive at your resort you are told to go straight to check in....your luggage will be bought to your room....Wow, what a releif when your trying to manage a family!
Check in went smooth, we were given our keys and off we went.
The room was lovey - how lucky we were even upgraded to one of the reef view room (ocean view).
Plazma TV (hubby was happy), huge bathroom with a double vanity for us and a single sink in the corner for the girls (perfect).
Very large living/lounge area, complete with 2 single sofas and small table.
Lovely balcony with modern chairs.
The girls ran around exploring everything and loved it.
Not too much longer our bags arrived from a very friendly porter.
Room service (make up my room) was excellent everyday and if we ever had a do not disturb sign on, they would always call to see if we needed it.
I can only imagine the hectic schedule staff must have when they are full.
There is a huge range of resturants to choose from (some of the service is a bit scratchy but dont want to take the shine off the Reef View).
The only negative thing I will say is that the breakfast buffet wasnt the greatest. There was a lot to offer but the eggs (no matter how they were cooked) were terrible. In saying that I can appreciate the madness of school holidays, so understand. On a positive note ...they do a great cappacino! (extra cost but worth it)
We found the Reef View very comfortable with great service, I would definitly recommend it for a family holiday.
Happy Travels!

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the lift, they are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hi JoQLD,

I thought your review was interesting to read and I think it will be helpful for guests deciding whether or not to book their holiday with us. Thank you for your kind words about my staff as well as your many other positive comments.

I've received a lot of encouraging feedback from families this year. Reef View Hotel is the most popular accommodation option on Hamilton Island for families and we try very hard to make everything as easy as possible for parents so that they can actually have a relaxing holiday as well. One of the most popular benefits of families staying at Reef View Hotel is our Kids Stay & Eat Free policy. This gives parents with children under 12 a bit more cash to enjoy their holiday with.

I'm sorry that you weren't happy with the eggs at our buffet breakfast. Our extensive buffet breakfast is usually a hit with guests but Reef View guests are also able to have their complimentary breakfast at the wildlife park or Sails restaurant. Both offer different menus and kids especially love the wildlife park because they can have breakfast with the animals.

Thank you for recommending Reef View Hotel on Tripadvisor. I hope that you decide to bring the family back for another holiday next year. We have some exciting ideas to make Hamilton Island even more fun for families that we think you'll love.

Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We went to Hamilton island last year for our first holiday in a few years. We loved it so much we are going back on the 9th of October this year for our 10 year wedding anniversary! We had such a great time. We were on the 16th floor (fingers crossed we can go higher this time around!) and the room, view and staff were all fantastic. We ended up booking through the Hamilton island phone contact and they were also extra helpful and even made a note of our reason for going. We did a number of activities from hiking to jet skiing and reef tours. We are looking forward to trying more activities this time around as we are staying 10 nights this time. You really won't be disappointed. The food, views, activities, are just fantastic! We found the hotel service second to none and wouldn't go anywhere else to celebrate our milestone. If you want a mixture of total relaxation and fun filled activities go to Hamilton and stay at the reef view hotel.
Thank you guys we can't wait to see you again!

Regards,
E and S Marsh

Room Tip: The higher the better. The views are fantastic. We went to the top floor just to look!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Hi Emily M,

Thank you for your belated review of your stay last year and thank you for choosing to celebrate your 10th wedding anniversary with us! We're very excited to have you come and stay with us again.

I've had a think of some romantic activities for you two to consider:

1) A couples treatment at Spa qualia/Spa wumurdaylin. The award-winning Spa qualia is usually only available to guests staying at qualia but I would suggest that you contact them and see if they have room for you. If they are full, Spa wumurdaylin should be able to accommodate you.

2) A cruise to Whitehaven Beach - Whitehaven beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The sand is pure silica and is white in colour (as the name suggests). There are 2 half-day cruises per day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

3) A round of golf - The Hamilton Island Golf Club is located on Dent Island and is around 10 minutes away by ferry. The course is amazingly beautiful and is the only championship golf course on it's own island in Australia. If neither of you are golfers, I'd still recommend getting lunch at the Club House and having a look around

Please let me know if there is anything that I can help with to ensure that your 10th wedding anniversary on Hamilton Island is an unforgettable experience.

Warm Regards,

Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

In early September 2012 my sister and I thoroughly enjoyed six days at Reef View Hotel. Our room's balcony looked down on the pool and through the tops of palm trees to Cat's Eye Bay. Our apartment was clean and very spacious and we breakfasted every morning in the delightful area adjoining the pool. At night, music drifted up to us, adding to the relaxed holiday atmosphere. There was only ever a wait of a few minutes before we could hop on to the free mini-buses servicing the island. My main admiration was for the staff, mainly young people, who were very friendly, cheerful and obviously well trained. But a word of warning, DO keep your balcony doors closed because otherwise the cockatoos will treat your apartment as their own!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hi Pamela T,

Thank you so much for your brilliant review of Reef View Hotel.
I often share guest reviews with my staff and I will be sharing your review with them this week.
I'm very proud of my staff for their professionalism and focus on guests. In fact, our concierge Emma recently won the company annual CEO Platinum award for guest service and volunteer work on Hamilton Island.

Thank you for posting this review - it will be really appreciated by my staff.

Warm Regards,

Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!