“Beautiful location but lacking in service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 5 Nights, Pay only 4
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful location but lacking in service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently spent a weekend on Daydream Island which is naturally very beautiful but suffers from it's lack of quality in food and staff service. Although it was low season a lot of the outlets were closed and the pub style restaurant we ate at served the food within minutes of being ordered so felt very 'fast food' & not very tasty. The island is also overtaken with these birds that harass the guests in the evening whilst dining which did not help the overall experience.
Rooms were nice enough and newly renovated but the food and some of the staff's attitude let the island down.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My sister celebrated her 30th Birthday with 5 friends and myself at Daydream Island over the long weekend in June and we could not have had a better time. The wood was amazing the staff are always helpful and the Island is very relaxing. This was the 3rd time I have been to Daydream Is and will be back again.

Room Tip: Choose the Ocean side just wonderful Views straight outside your door.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Nadi, Fiji
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I went to the island as a guest for a wedding. The arrival was lovely and we had champagne in our room on arrival.

The beds were old and you can feel the springs on them.
One of the beds had a large stain on the sheets where your face would go- a little revolting that a housekeeper would have thought that this was acceptable.

The food for the wedding was perfect and great. Breakfast was standard. The rest of the meals were in the fair to average range. It felt like a great chef had created the meals, then a cook has taken over, most if the food did not taste like it was made in the kitchen.

Our second morning we had housekeeping knocking on our door at 8:30. I found this rude as most people on holidays are there wanting to sleep in.

Overall a little unimpressed- would not return.

• Stayed May 2013
DaydreamIsland, General Manager at Daydream Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear lliizzee

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at Daydream Island Resort and Spa. I am disappointed that Daydream did not meet your expectations.

However, thank you for recognising positive aspects of your stay, that said; I have meet with the Executive Housekeeper with regard to the stain on the sheets and the early wake up. As I do not have your full name, room number or the date on which you stayed, I can only generically address the issue which as indicated, I have done.

Again thank you for your feedback, and whilst your stay was not totally to the standard we aspire on this occasion, I do hope you do change your mind, and allow us the opportunity to showcase the Resort in the future.

Kind Regards
Warren McCorriston
Resort Manager

Travelers are raving about these Daydream Island hotels

Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

+ amazing location in beautiful settings
So much to do, highlight yoga in the morning, outdoor cinema in evening, buffet dinners, free catamaran and paddle boards
Personable, friendly and helpful staff, special mention to amber in activities who out on an extra yoga class just for us :-)
Big spacious clean room
Pools are fantastic, clean and lots to choose from!
Complimentary bottle of wine on arrival for anniversary
- it is pricey, but to be expected you are on an island! Be sensible with what you bring to the island including snorkel mask, tennis rackets and balls and any snacks and drinks

Room Tip: People co plain about how expensive it is but if you pre plan you can reduce your spending massively
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Emu Park, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I must say I'm shocked to see some terrible reviews especially about the staff! We recently stayed 3 nights on the special deal. we arrived about 12.30 our rooms were ready, yes there is a slight musky smell but that is quite often the case in the tropics because of the humidity. The rooms were clean and adequate in our package we had a lovely bottle of bubbly , chocolates and a welcome card. We found all the staff pleasant and could not do enough for you. Special mention to Sharon who really went out of her way with the kids at meal times. we had a few issues with Ants but it was dealt with and we were given a new kettle straight away. The meals while not cheap were of excellent quality and the Buffett and seafood night was just brilliant especially the desert bar. Unfortunately we could not use the free activities due to the weather but the paid activities were reasonably priced and well run. The Gardens are well kept and the rainforest walk is a must for the views. A little bit disappointed with the spa, turned up at 11am which was suppose to be tour time, we were not offered a tour and little interest was taken when my friend wanted more information on the treatments, due to lack of interest we ended up spending the money on jet skiing.

Room Tip: Ground floor balcony for the room outside
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

So much to do so little time, this place has it all. Lots of swimming pools, a great beach, lovers cove is great for snorkelling and the food is absolutely awesome, seafood night is a must! Mini golf was fun, night cinema a great experience. Rooms very neat, clean, couldn't fault really. Definitely a happy customer.

• Stayed June 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We visited Daydream Island in April of this year as part of a 4 week tour of Oz. This was to be the relaxing leg of the holiday and we were certainly not disappointed on that front. There were three of us, me, my wife and 9 year old son.

You should always start a story off with some positives, so here we go.....

The island is beautiful. Absolutely no denying that. We also had superb weather during our stay so all good on that front too. Loved the freely roaming wildlife and the snorkelling was superb at Lover's Cove. The resort is spotlessly clean (outside) and the gardens are kept meticulously tidy.
Loads to do, from relaxing by the excellent pools, to the outdoor cinema which my son loved.
The layout is excellent and we like walking, so the 15 minute trek to the other end of the island wasn't a big issue for us. The fish pools are great and the kids' activities such as feeding the stingrays were also excellent.
(Special mention to Damien here. He took my son stingray feeding and could not have been better. Very friendly, very knowledgable and a has a great manner with the kids. My son is STILL raving about that experience). Thank you Damien!
The food quality at Mermaids restaurant is excellent (I'll get onto prices later), but they could have been more flexible with the menu. My son was desperate for a pizza one night but despite having pizza on the daytime menu, said they couldn't do one at night for him. Bit strange, but there you go.
The food in the bakery is of a good standard, the breakfast buffet is good, provided you get there early. Any later and you'll probably break your neck slipping on dropped sausages whilst heading to the queue for cold food. We learnt our lesson on that score very quickly.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. We'd probably visit a different island if there ever is a next time, but the resort is pretty decent.

To the negatives though....

I cannot stress this strongly enough. DO NOT GET A GARDEN VIEW ROOM!
They are damp, pure and simple. I notice other reviews talking of musty smells. This is because the rooms are undoubtedly DAMP. Note to the management : If you cannot air a room, they will get damp. The windows do not open in the garden view rooms and there was no balcony, so these rooms never see fresh air. Our clothes were stinking and felt wet after just one night, not to mention the fact that my wife has asthma and this could have been a REAL problem. We had to move room after the 1st night, which to be fair, the resort organised pretty efficiently, however, they moved us to another garden room, which can only be described as being 50% less damp than the previous one. But with air freshener.
You have been warned!
(No compensation of ANY description was offered for the inconvenience either).

Having read some of the management responses to other reviews regarding food and drink pricing I feel it absolutely necessary to comment.
Now, I know Australia is generally expensive for touring Brits at the moment as our pound value has been systematically destroyed by unscrupulous bankers, but.....the food and drink on Daydream Island, whilst being of a good standard (let me reiterate that) is extortionate.
Let me give you an example. 3 sandwiches, 3 bottles of Coke and 3 bags of crisps from the bakery. Not much change out of £40. I don't care what you say Mr. Manager, but that is expensive.
Mermaids restaurant - 2 shared starters, 2 mains, 1 kids meal, 1 bottle of wine and a Coke. Approx. £120.
I don't care whether or not the pricing is relative to other islands, it is expensive, pure and simple.

Anyway, onto other stuff...
The mini golf. The management should probably just rip it up and start again. It was probably good in its day, but it is seriously run down now and to charge what they did for it was a downright rip-off.

The staff. This is a weird one. The staff at Daydream Island seem to be either utterly superb or utterly dreadful. There is little middle ground.
Let me make this clear though, the majority of staff are fantastic. Really friendly, helpful and good fun. The staff who ran our fish feeding sessions, the rainforest walk, Stingray Splash were simply brilliant.
However, there are quite a few who I frankly wouldn't employ to clean my shoes. The one time we went to the bakery (for the £40 sandwiches above), the level of service I received was so appaling, that had it been my shop, I would have sacked the two counter staff on the spot. I only wish I had remembered their names as I would have, quite out of character for me, definitely reported them to management.

Overall, I don't want to be too critical of the island, as we did have a great time there.
As others have said though, the report card would read "Good effort, but should do better".

Room Tip: Unless you are an insect that enjoys damp conditions.... Do NOT book a garden view room. I repeat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!