“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Daydream Island
brisbane
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent 7 days at this resort and had a enjoyable stay. The accomodation was clean and spacious. Breafast was included in our package and was excellent. Best value for money was found at the fishbowl restuarant but it did not open every night and I fould the other 2 restuarants to be pricey. Pools were good but found the swim up bar pool to be noisy and prefered the pool at the southern end of the island which was quieter. The atrium was fantastic and the decor excellent and was a good place to sit and relax. The living reef aquarium was excellent. Everything was well organised, from our arrival via Hamiton Isand to our departure.

Room Tip: We had an ocean room view on the 1st floor and the views were fantastic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

939 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We have recently visited Daydream island for 3 days and it wasn't anything like I expected. It is very outdated and somewhat dirty from local wildlife droppings especially outside the rooms where you stay. There is only one pool bar open at any time. And that is down at the resort end so I don't know what the day trippers are supposed to do for a drink because apparently there are not allowed at the resort end, the food is also overpriced for what you receive and can be anything up to 45 mins just to make an order at the bar because they will not serve you any other way. And if you think you can approach the island on your own boat they will charge you $75 even if that person is visiting a paying guest which I think is down right rude considering the neighbouring islands allow it. All in all I was very disappointed and will never come back.

• Stayed October 2012

Travelers are raving about these Daydream Island hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We travelled to daydream island only for the day as we were staying in Airlie beach and I have to say I am rather glad that it we were able to leave after a few hours. The island is absolutely gorgeous there is no denying that and the resort itself has pretty good amenities however I found it terrible that there was no shade provided at all in any of the pools. Not even the shallow kids pool. If you were lucky enough to grab a lounge with an umbrella that was the only reprieve from the scorching sun. I find this totally unacceptable as I have a 7 month old and 3 year old and sunscreen and hats can only do so much. I am not saying the whole pool needs to be shaded but at least offer a little protection. That however was the least of my bad experience on this island. We went to mermaids for lunch and deliberately went sober were seated before 12pm and the lunchtime rush so we could eat and keep on going. We were ushered in and our orders taken. The waitress was in training and had made a mistake when taking our order so she had to come back out and let us know what we ordered was not avail which was fine, but unbeknown to us our meals had been put on hold. In the meantime the restaurant started to fill. We had asked to have our little girls meal come out with the entree. After about 30 mins we asked where our entree (wedges, not that hard) and kids meal was and we were told that it was very busy and would be out soon. So we waited another 10mins. It was finally bought out. The food was fine, but now after 40 mins we were still waiting on our mains. Which was grilled fish and a salad. I asked again and was told that it would be right out. Again I waited no meal. So I went up asked and again was told 10 mins so We decided after waiting an hour for our meals that we would just pay for what we had drank and eaten and just leave. As I went to do this our meals just arrived. I returned them to he kitchen and said we would be leaving. The manager was very rude and un apologetic and said we should take them takeaway (but still pay full price). He actually seemed annoyed that I had complained. Inexplained we had been there before everyone else and he just didn't care. After lunch we went for a swim and my husband got a beer and was in the pool with my daughter. He left her and the beer on the edge as came to me (only a few steps away on a lounge) in the meantime a staff member came past walked up to my daughter and the beers (one empty can one full) and went to clear them. My hubby said oh excuse me they are mine. I was coming back to them she just glared and him and said "here". I understand if she thought they had been left there littering but we were not far away and i had my eye on my daughter the whole time. I just found the service to be appalling for such a facility. I have travelled to day dream a number of times and find it is going down hill in terms of service. I don't think I will be back anytime soon.

• Stayed November 2012
DaydreamIsland, General Manager at Daydream Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Kg0912

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent day visit to Daydream Island Resort and Spa.

In reading your feedback, regarding the shading of the children’s pool we will certainly take that on board. As you would have noticed the resort has 35 umbrella’s scattered around the pool area, along with over 150 sun lounges, which is on top of the table settings of 50 chairs. Additionally there are many areas with natural shade providing the tropical experience. Our 25 double hammocks are also very popular. Most of which have been well documented in photo’s from guest on the Trip Advisor site.

I sincerely apologise for the experience you describe at Mermaids. Training of new staff is carried in the outlets to allow them better serve our guest. The attitude you describe of the manager will be addressed as I agree the manager should have acknowledged the error and apologised as a minimum.

Again thank you for your feedback and we hope that you do return not only to Daydream but the Whitsundays. As we have every confidence your experience next time around will be extremely positive.

Kind Regards
Warren McCorriston
Resort Manager
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Tough place to review. Depends what you are after.
Pros:
Grounds are well kept and island itself is very pretty. We got some great sunset shots and as the wind moves around, you can just move your activities to the leeward side.
Good for kids. Smorgasbord breakfast and dinner (most nights) which was a free for all but quite well run and food was fine. There is an a la carte restaurant too, but we didn't eat there much (food was good though).
Spacious rooms (and ours had a nice ocean view), although for $440 a night, you probably expect it.
Marine pool thing near the main building has decent sized sharks and rays in it that you can even hand feed. That was cool and you could see the kids love it. Actually the wildlife on the island generally was cool. Lizards, wallabies, birds (Bush Stone Curlews everywhere) and the odd turtle were very easy to find and photograph.
Cons:
The island is small and so you can see it all on day one with a bit of dedicated walking. We stayed for 5 nights which was plenty. I like to run, so you have to do two laps of the island to get up to 20mins.
The island is very close to the mainland and so the water visibility is poor (only a few metres). Obviously this is not the fault of the hotel, but if you think you are going to do spectacular, great vis snorkels off the beach, think again. I haven't stayed on the other islands further out, but I think most of them have limited vis. You need to get out to the reef (which is several hours and several hundred dollars away by boat) for the good stuff.
The whole island resort holiday is pretty sedentary. Fine for some people, but I like to get out and explore a bit more which was tough on Daydream. The swim-up bar in one of the many pools was easily avoided (there were plenty of other pools). If you like swim up bars then cool, but it was 'the bogan pool' unofficially to us. Don't get me wrong, the place is very family friendly, but it seems that everyone tends to eat and drink a bit because there are limited other options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sunbury, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We're currently travelling around some of Australia camping in tents so as a treat my husband has brought us to Paradise.
I'll confess l came with an open mind after having read all the reviews on Trip Advisor, but honestly, l don't know how they could be so negative.
I loved the arrival meet and greet, everyone has been happy to stop, chat and answer our enquiries.
Pools are awesome, everything has been clean, tidy and professional.
Buffet breakfast, WOW, spoilt for choice, loved the fish feeding show!
The wild life is amazing, last night we had a kangaroo at our sliding door, a lace monitor came from the garden to visit and the cockatoos are hilarious!!! Last night on the way home from dinner we enjoyed seeing bats fly overhead.
Last night an outdoor movie screened, another tonight. Sadly l missed the water aerobics and beach yoga, l need more time. You can do as much or as little as you like here. We're with a 10 yr old so lots of time in the three pools and spas.
The ladies have been in and cleaned our room while we were on the balcony and were polite and did a great job, l have been telling everyone and will continue to do so to come here, lm sorry we only have 2 days.

• Stayed November 2012
aylesbry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I spent three days on Daydream with my family as part of an island hopping holiday. Everything about this resort is amzing and relaxing. Room was very up todate and clean A/C working at all times. The service was excellent and staff cannot do enough for you. Breakfast was very high quality with masses of choice and during the day samwiches and snacks can be purchased which are also high quality. Dinner is a litte expensive with limited choice that is my only small complaint. Now back in UK but my little daydream is to return to Daydream island. Dont miss out on this lovely resort. x

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

There is something about stepping off a boat onto a resort island that just makes you relax and want to kick your shoes off. Having a shell necklace placed around my neck on arrival, I saunter up the path to the transit lounge. Here I am greeted by a tanned and smiling man who welcomes me to Daydream Island Resort and Spa. As the name of the island itself states, I am in a euphoric state of daydream.

Pristine beaches, turquoise waters, tropical palm trees and a soft salty sea breeze caressed my face. Only this is not a dream. I can actually taste the salty sweetness on my lips, feel the rough coral mixed sand between my toes and hear the soft lapping waves that engulf my feet. This is no dream, this is real.

One of Australia’s premier resorts and the jewel of the Whitsundays with secluded white coral beaches and lush rainforest, Daydream Island Resort and Spa is just a short ferry ride from the Great Barrier Reef Airport on Hamilton Island, or just minutes by boat from Airlie Beach.

Amongst a beautiful setting and gorgeous climate are 296 luxurious rooms and suites catering for honeymooners to families and is the ideal place for a relaxing holiday or special event.

The resort has its own living reef which continues to amaze and delight visitors and kids squeal in excitement at ‘finding Nemo’ or revel in the curiosity of feeding stingrays and other marine life that call this reef home.

Daydream’s signature Rejuvenation Spa has six private rooms offering the latest in naturopathy, hydrotherapy, aromatherapy or reflexology to stimulate the senses and bring harmony to mind, body and soul.

There are also the popular weekly health programs including wellness and stress management therapies as well as assistance in devising a lifestyle plan to maintain optimum health with programs focusing on Detox, Rejuvenation or Wellness.

For the more energetic guests, there are activities that include daily island kayak adventure, golf driving and regular Yoga and Zumba fitness classes being held on select days, a free open air cinema, an Australia-themed 19-hole mini golf course or perhaps you would prefer to enjoy a cocktail at the resort’s swim-up bar.

For some more action-packed adventure, guests can try jet skiing, parasailing, reef fishing, tennis, volleyball and scuba diving.

Ending the day’s activities will bring on an appetite, which can be satisfied at Daydream Island’s signature restaurant Mermaid’s. There is also a buffet dinner option as well as a bakery on the island if you are after a quick snack.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to get a room with an ocean view - well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!