“Terrific experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Green Island Resort

You added Green Island Resort to your Saves list
Green Island Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Green Island, Great Barrier Reef, Green Island, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Special Rate
Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Green Island
sydney
“Terrific experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The reviews before me are quite descriptive and consistent with my experience. I booked directly with the island for a 3 night package from January 11th. It was really great. Myself, hubby and our 16year old son stayed in an KIng bed island suite as it could accomodate the 3 rd person with a single bed.A welcome bottle of bubbly was in an ice bucket...how nice! We faced the private guest only pool and were happy with this. The boat transfers were smooth both directions. We did the reef cruise package and of course enjoyed this. Nice that we had a shorter travel distance to the reef.....picked on way. The inclusions makes it a sensible choice to stay overnight. The stinger suits, glass bottom boat, umbrella and chairs, kayaks, windsurfers are complimentary for overnight island guests.
When the day trippers leave it feels bizarre to have the island with so few others! It makes one feel so special.The 5 pm fish feeding, 5.30pm complimentary bubbly and beer, 8pm star gazing and 9pm walk are all fun. I seriously recommend the croc show....this is extra but wow it was worth it.
The breakfasts were good and at lunch there is a bit of choice from the daytime takeaways. Our son preferred the room dining menu ( especially spaghetti bol..) so we ordered from this "menu" in the restaurant... so it was flexible.
The staff are friendly and helpful. We would definately recommend this island. It was a real holiday treat.... in between staying at Cairns and Port Douglas. Just a short boat trip there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed on Green Island for three nights in Jan. We wish we could have stayed a week! It was worth the fairly expensive price tag. What everyone says about the island is true: it's beautiful, great snorkeling, great food, day trippers are crazy, etc. But the resort & island are what you make of them. For us, we made it into our favorite vacation ever! Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your stay:
1. Yes the day trippers turn the island into total chaos. It's overwhelming and could be a major turnoff. BUT remember that they basically pay for the upkeep of the island and if it weren't for them, you wouldn't get to experience the magic.
2. Really explore the island. You have complete access to it. Day trippers never seem to venture further than two small beaches near the dock. But the best stuff isn't there!
3. It's a pretty active place and sunrise and sunset are the best times to catch wildlife. If you want to sleep until noon and sip a margarita by the pool all day this probably isn't the place for you. If you want to snorkel at sunrise and see octopus, sharks, turtles, lion fish and jumping eagle rays then this is the place for you. We took the boardwalk through the rainforest at sunrise one morning and disturbed an owl, then an osprey eating breakfast. You won't get that kind of experience at noon!
4. Our favorite snorkeling spot was at the top of an arch of buoys to the right of the pier (looking at it from the beach)
5. Take advantage of all of the included activities. They're not just for kids and you never know what you'll come across!

Special thanks to the entire staff that were excited to tell us all the "secrets" of the island. Alyssa our activities director (for lack of a better term) was fantastic! We can't wait to go back again soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3, which was gorgeous, clean and very luxury for an eco resort. Yes the odd cicada...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had been to Green island as day trippers, which was great, but staying there as resort guests was 100 times better! We spent 4 nights there which was the highlight of our 2 week holiday in far north Queensland.
We were treated as friends as soon as we got off the complimentary boat trip. The resort was a peacefull oasis away from the day trippers. The pool was clean and cool, and not overly busy. The resort is very family friendly and the staff just look happy to be there. They work really hard to make sure that every one has a great time.
The highlight of our stay was snorkeling with the many sea turtles and the nightly fish feeding which attracts the most amazing fish and harmless reef sharks 2 meters long. We even snorkled with them during the fish feeding which was a once in a lifetime experience.
The rooms are large and very nice, with balconies facing either the pool or the rainforest. I thought ours was great - on the first level overlooking the pool.
The restaurant has great food at acceptable prices given it is part of a resort, but there is only one restaurant or room service.
I thought 4 days would be too long and we would get bored but it was a perfect amount of time. Everything is included - snorkeling gear, sun lounges, glass bottom boats, evening sunset drinks and nature walks.
Thank you Emma and Alysha. You both made our trip all the better. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We preferred upstairs pool side but there is no lift so if climbing stairs is a problem for you the...
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

After reading so many great reviews of this island resort, we booked our room and boarded our boat yesterday. The resort beaches are very small. Maybe because of the day trippers, they looked very dirty as well. Considering the price they charge, neither the room nor the food was topnorch. But we thought the island was lovely, so we didn't say anything. Now, the exciting part came:

After dinner, we went to our room and settled in our bed. We planned to have an early night. The bed sheets felt really wet and the bed frames cracking every time we turned our body. The minibar fridge had a very annoying noise and there was sound of cracking everywhere in the room. After what felt like hours, my mom turned on the light, and there it was, a huge cockroach sitting next to the air con. Within blink of my eyes, the cockroach dropped from the air con to my mom's bed. We were shocked. I called the people in reception, he came in with a bottle of bug spray, spraying directly on the bed sheet where the cockroach sit. The spray didn't work, but he killed it with his foot. We asked if we could change our room. He said he could check but we might find cockroaches in other rooms as well since the resort is sitting on a rainforest island. After he left, we found another cockroach in our bathroom. At that moment, we didn't feel like sleeping at all and decided to check out the next day.

This morning, I went to the reception asking for their GM, but was told I could speak to himself (Sandy is his name). He said he was informed with what happened last night, but unfortunately it's normal because the island has a rainforest. And because of their 24hours cancellation policy, he had to charge me two nights. I told him he shouldn't charge me the second night because the cancellation was not my fault. He said in a small voice:" are you kidding me?" I mean, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? With cockroaches running in our room and you think it's normal? And we should keep quiet? I questioned him whether or not the resort was rated as 4.5 Star. Rainforest or not, I'm not paying $315 per night to sleep with cockroaches. He just ignored my question and kept saying it's normal. IT IS NOT NORMAL!!! No wonder there were very few people staying at the resort!

So all in all, I ended up paying two nights for my terrible one night stay and had a sleepless night instead of a peaceful relaxing one.

I wouldn't recommend this Green Island Resort to anyone. Day trip maybe, but stay overnight? A big no no!

Mount Molloy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have been meaning to write a review about this lovely Island hotel for awhile. My Mum and I along with my 2 baby boys stayed there in October for my 40th Birthday. We are locals and were only going to stay 1 night but ended up staying another night. It was so nice. The weather was a little wishy washy but we still enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Plus once all the tourist leave it is magical. We had welcome drinks after the evening fish feeding out on the jetty. The crocodile park was great also, my son loved it. The guy who did the crocodile feeding was great. We went both days. The restaurant food and service was a 11/10. We are hoping to go again soon. One of our best Island stays in OZ.

Room Tip: Rooms are great, we had a higher floor room which was nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I spent two excellent nights on Green Island. The resort is excellent - clean, quiet, beautiful and well looked after. The staff are the best I have ever some across - polite, efficient and helpful. The activities are plentiful, the beach unspoilt and the water crystal clear. I plan to go back there again as it was a really peaceful stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed one night on Green Island and were hugely disappointed.......by the fact we should have stayed longer!

The resort, although highly priced, in my opinion is worth every cent. Our accommodation fee included boat transfers, buffet breakfast which was delicious, all hire gear such as snorkels etc, night time nature walk, fish feeding, glass bottom boat, exclusive use of day lounge and facilities for use after checkout, and absolutely beautiful accommodation!

We were greeted on the jetty on arrival, and taken to checkin and escorted to our room. Luggage is taken from the boat and arrives at your room for you. The room with choccies on bed in the evening is beautifully furnished, and big enough for our family of four.

Yes as already mentioned the place is mad with day trippers for 7 hours of the day, but if you spend the day snorkelling the amazing reef you won't be bothered.

Our kids loved the marine life whilst safe enough for my 4 year old too snorkel seeing reef sharks, huge turtles, sting rays , amazing variety of fish, huge sea clams, star fish and much more.

The restaurant serves amazing food of high quality and prices aren't too crazy for a 5 star resort on a tropical island......we pay much more at a 5 star city hotel! Staff are all extremely friendly and professional.

Forget Cairns, Port Douglas or the Daintree, this place was magical and reminded us so much of our annual Fijian island resort experiences!

If I had to say something negative it would be to suggest that the hotel has its own sectioned off area of the patrolled beach for hotel guests only.

Two hours from Brissie then a 50 minute boat trip you can escape normal life and relax in a beautiful hotel on a lovely Eco friendly island.,...we will be back and I suggest 3-4 nights to truly benefit all it has too offer......we had a wonderful 24 hours.

Room Tip: Any room is lovely!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Green Island Resort? Share your experiences!