“Exquisite Indian/Persian food worth every cent..” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #76 of 245 Restaurants in Townsville
Cuisines: Indian, Persian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Taj Mahal has been open since 1996, serving great food to the people of Townsville and tourists from all over the country. Weather trying a dish from the "Persian Empire" menu or a curry from the "Exotic Indian" menu, you will be taken on an Eastern journey where your taste buds are sure to be tantalised.
“Exquisite Indian/Persian food worth every cent..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Being an Indian, I was sceptic about trying out Indian cuisine elsewhere but still decided to take risk and Boy was I glad... I have yet to taste Vindaloo as amazing as I was served in Taj Mahal. I thought I had tasted the best Vindaloo in Goa-India but I must admit that I was absolutely wrong.. The flavours, the heat was perfect to the T. Great atmosphere with beautiful live colors, soothing ghazal in the background and very professional/well informed people serving you, what else do you need? Owners came out to greet and welcome the guests.. Felt right at home.. Will come back to Townsville 100% when next in Australia, just to go through the whole experience again..
Thank you Fred & Monir!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Fabulous Persian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

The Persian food was wonderful, moderately priced and good sizes servings. The decore added to the experience with beautiful rugs on the floor and walls. As it is BYO the whole evening was very economical. I wish it was near where I live as I would be a frequent customer. Kathy, Hobart.

Townsville, Australia
“Great food, fast service for hungry children, family run.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The food here is great, very authentic (I dated a Persian man back in the day, he could cook...). The student waitresses seem to be more of a hindrance to the family who owns and runs it, but t he family are really helpful. Decor is fantastic, fully a/c on hot nights, and being ex-Victorian, I like the option to take our own alcohol, it's BYO. My kids adore the butter chicken, without heat, while we scoffed fantastic hot rogan josh and a Persian fish dish w e loved. Give it a go.

Townsville, Queensland, Australia
“Average cuisine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to me so maybe I had high expectations. Although the food was good I wasn't as enthused about it compared to other Indian restaurants that I've eaten in. The service was good and the helpings plentiful.

Visited February 2012
Townsville, Australia
“great food, personal service and cultural experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

A very small restaurant with excellent food, the hosts shared personal information about their home town in Iran and stories regarding the wonderful Persian food. We all thoroughly enjoyed a variety of traditional persian dishes. Would recommend this restaurant to any visitor and have frequented this restaurant on more then one occasion. We enjoyed the cultural experience and also a place to take friends and have meaningful discussions.

• Visited August 2012