Let me start by saying that overall, we had a good experience at the Chifley Plaza and would not hesitate to recommend or stay there again. However, there were a few things that, if fixed, would make it a more ideal stay.
* The staff. Very friendly, helpful, and informative from before booking right through to check out. I cannot express how grateful I was to see such wonderful service.
* The breakfast. Usually when you see 'continental' breakfast, you expect a bowl of cereal and a stale muffin. None of that at the Chifley. They offer up a wide variety of cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, toast, baked beans and spaghetti, ham, cheese, tomato and a press to make a toasted sandwich. Two of my friends opted for the cooked breakfast ($8 extra I think it cost) and that was even more astounding - anything you could think of was offered up on their plate.
* The room. We had the family suite, and it was certainly roomy enough. The beds were comfortable, and the refurbishment had made it feel very clean, fresh and inviting.
* The bedding arrangement. This was the ONLY place we could find in Townsville that had accommodation for 3 adults that actually had 3 separate beds.
* The price. Much more affordable than most of the other hotels around, including one we were able to get a discount on for being guests at a wedding.
* Location. Close to shops, food and markets, and walking distance from the Strand.
The not-so-great - again, these are all minor things but I feel worth giving the feedback for your consideration.
* The construction. Parts of the hotel are still under refurbishment, which makes it look/feel a little dodgy in the foyer area and lift. I understand this is all part of the updating experience, but it may put some people off.
* The parking. There is no on site parking available. We were offered 'secured' parking for $10, but it was around the corner in a very old, dodgy building which none of us felt safe in at all. Fortunately there was plenty of street parking.
* The shower bath. The rest of the bathroom had clearly been refurbished, but the bath tub had not been replaced and was a strange shape which made the water pool in the middle and stain - not a great look.
* The power points. There were no power points in the second bedroom at all, and then 3 in the main bedroom.
* The kitchen. Clearly the only part of the unit that had not been touched in the refurbishment. Not really an issue for us as we were only there for a weekend. Also, we noted in the brochure that 'cooking is not permitted in the rooms'......and yet we were provided with an oven, a microwave and a toaster?
Our friends stayed in one of the more standard rooms, and I must say compared to ours it was small, but definitely adequate for a short stay.
Thank you again to the Chifley staff. As the title of my review says, the place is 'almost there' to being an absolutely top notch hotel.
Ask for a quiet room as some facing the street are said to be noisy.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.