We have stayed twice now in the two bedroom apartments that are run by Rydges in Townsville. The apartments are not in the hotel itself, but across the road at the back. They are very quiet, especially the ones at the front away from the neighbouring properties. No views but the location is still handy to all the Palmer Street restaurants. Very new, very spacious and stylishly decorated. They come with airconditioning, ceiling fans and screened windows, so lots of options for keeping cool. There is parking underneath, although we didn't have a car. Also a tiny swimming pool (we used the larger one across the road at the hotel).
There are two good supermarkets about a ten minute walk away.
A few negatives:
- Access from the hotel lobby with bags is not easy. You can't roll a trolley across, so you need to carry bags a fair distance.
- The apartments do not have the same facilities as the hotel, eg: no telephone, no in-house movies and no Foxtel/Austar. There is a DVD player though.
- You have to pay for any extra supplies, eg $2.50 if you want an extra bath towel or $1 for an extra sachet of dishwasher powder or dishwashing liquid. I thought this was a bit cheap.
- The kitchen facilities are very basic. Also, there are no extra pillows for the bed. The second time we stayed, there was no dustpan for the room.
- The apartment was very clean but some of the dishes in the cupboards were not.
Overall we liked the apartments and would stay there again, but for the price you pay, I think they could be more generously equipped. Do sign up as a Rydges member before you book as you get a better rate online.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thanks for your comments in reference to your previous stay. We have completed an inventory of all supplies and items in rooms and are pleased to advise that the kitchen's have now a full range of utensils.
Report response as inappropriate
in addition we are now advising guests on reservation that the apartments are located a short walk from the hotel to ensure guests are aware of this.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.