“2 queen size beds, very comfortable. Good location.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Southbank Townsville

Save Saved
You added Rydges Southbank Townsville to your Saves list
Rydges Southbank Townsville
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 Palmer Street, Townsville, Queensland 4810, Australia   |
Ranked #29 of 39 hotels in Townsville
Gold Coast, Qld
“2 queen size beds, very comfortable. Good location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

If your just staying one or two nights, this is great. Good location inPalmer St with plenty of great restaurants at your doorstep. The bathroom is very tired and needs a refurb, but otherwise rooms are lean and comfy. Mini bar in room and room service available. The staff at reception are very friendly and helpful. I left my IPad charger at he previous hotel in Cairns, reception loaned me one overnight free of charge, was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Donna,

Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and am glad that you had an enjoyable stay. We have recently refurbished the rooms and bathrooms are the next phase of refurbishment. Thank you for the feedback in regards to our staff and and they really are an asset for us.

I look forward to welcome you back.

216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Airlie Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I always choose Rydges. The location is great. It is quiet, comfortable, clean and the service is prompt and accommodating. I would like to see the room service menu extended more as for a lengthy business trip I need many options as room service is how I like to dine when working.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Angie K,

Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and am glad that you had a comfortable stay with us. Looks like your prayers have been answered as we have recently upgraded and revamped our entire Room Service Menu and I can guarantee that you will surely like the new look and added items. I look forward to welcome you back and your feedback on the menu.

North Avoca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

It may not seem important to others but there was no well done bacon in the buffet. Before I had to say anything, Shiralee???? asked me if I would like some, then quick as flash went and cooked some for me. So, not just great food, but unprompted exceptionally cheerful fabulous service! These days it is so unexpected. Please keep it up. When we come back to Townsville my wife and I will only every stay at Rydges.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and am glad that you enjoyed the stay with us. No doubt that our staff are the biggest asset and Shrelle is one of them and I will surely pass this feedback to her. I look forward to welcome you back so you can enjoy the great service that we are proud of, again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We are Townsville locals and have always looked at Rydges Southbank to be something 'special' and have told many people to stay there when they visit. So on my wedding night and the night before I decided to stay there as I thought it was the best Townsville had to offer.
It was fairly expensive as we were staying in the executive apartment so I'm expecting good stuff here!
The lift was atrocious.... I understand there are refurbishments happening but standing for 10 minutes in a wedding dress in a puddle of sticky something is not great. It was painful waiting for the lift and it was dirty and unclean,
The reception staff had no clue it was my wedding, despite when I booked I specified it was for my wedding and confirmed twice the previous two weeks it was for my wedding.
My sister ordered a 'surprise' bottle of champagne for myself and my husband for when we got home at 11pm... But it arrived at 11am and sat there for who knows how long.
The hair dryer in the bathroom burnt my hair when I tried to use it. (The elements were smoking) and when I tried to advise staff the phone for the reception ran out many times and the reception line was so long.
On the plus side the bed was nice, view nice and breakfast good.
I think if Rydges didn't charge exuberant amounts for their rooms I would be less disappointed. No longer recommending friends stay and I will not stay again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Ashe N, Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and I am more than happy to discuss the concerns in person with you. We have 24*7 Duty Managers plus a Wedding Department and I am surprised that none of the concerns were raised with them during your stay. Please get in touch with me directly for a suitable time and a contact number so I can call you.
cairns, qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are of a good size. Nice linen. Bathroom needs a bit of a reno, but overall nice. We paid $111 per night for weekend nights inc full breakfast. Compare this with the hell hole we stayed in just done the road a few months back for around $130 with no breakfast included in the noisiest hotel I've stayed in. Well done Rydges. We will be back! Location to good restaurants is awesome!!

• Stayed August 2013
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and great to see that you had a wonderful stay with us. We do have some great accommodation packages that we offer and of course call the reception and they can surely guide you the best option. Since we are centrally located, which makes us the best placed in the area. I look forward to welcome you back with us.
Batemans Bay, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was a first for me at this particular motel & found it very satisfactory in all areas,parking was a bit of a challenge with the showroom truck but all good.The room was fresh, clean,staff were very helpful in reception and excess to shops an bars,great and would not have any hesitation in telling friends an sales personal.

Room Tip: Book early,and get there early, maybe parking could be min.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and its always great to see positive feedback. We do have complimentary open space and limited underground car park and my sincere apologies that you could not find a park. Yes, our reception and all staff are the asset and rest assured that all guest always receive the best customer service. I am glad that you had a comfortable sleep in our dream beds and I look forward to welcome you back. Regards, Saurav Prasad - Rooms Division Manager.
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my first time in Townsville & we had a room in the main hotel on Palmer St. The suite was spacious, and the ensuite was lovely, with a spa bath that was good for hubby & I. The adjustable slats from the bathroom to the sitting room allow you to watch the TV from the bath :)

The décor is modern and the bed was very comfortable (as I expect from Rydges). I liked the additional TV in the bed alcove!

The staff were friendly, and undertook to address the only issue we encountered upon check-out. the bar fridge compressor was on the way out; emitting a high-pitch squeal and leaking a little.

Apart from that minor issue, we had a great stay.

Parking was complimentary.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and its always great to see positive feedback and that you had a pleasant stay with us.We are surely receiving some great feedback after the rooms refurbishment and feel very proud to see such comments. I will also check your feedback with our maintenance team for the mini bar fridge noise and get it rectified. I look forward to welcome you back with us. Regards, Saurav Prasad - Rooms Division Manager.

Been to Rydges Southbank Townsville? Share your experiences!