“Hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

recommendation of a friend and are soo happy we did. Don't let the front section put you off at the courtyard is just adorable. We had the duck and pork and could not have been happier with the food. Delish. And the desserts were also great.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Townsville, Australia
“Didn't live up to expectations..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I finally paid the garden of eating a visit after months of anticipation and hearing many good reviews. The evening started off well, service was good and we shared a starter, which was fairly enjoyable. Once the mains came out however, the evening took a downward turn. I got the kangaroo and my partner got the duck. The duck was fairly nice, but the kangaroo was not enjoyable and tasted slightly of mud. We made the mistake of assuming that the "small" portion would be sufficient at over $22 each, but we both finished our tiny portions in less than 5 minutes. Still feeling very hungry we decided to call it quits and go to That Place on Sturt for a $10 pizza to fill us up.
Not what we expected after having paid $60 at the Garden for nothing more than an entree.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Townsville, Australia
“It was better last time!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I visited the Garden of Eating for my birthday in May 2012 and absolutely fell head over heels with the quirky, kitschy atmosphere, creative dishes and homey-feel of the place. We revisited again this year for my birthday once more but I feel a little let down. The new menu wasn't super appealing, and the portion sizes seemed to have not only shrunk, but disappeared. We waited over an hour and a half for our meals, which was understandable as Wayne was the only person in the kitchen, but we felt that Adele wasn't particularly happy to be waiting on us and after waiting in the cold for our food, I found my pork and apple fritter almost inedibly tough. When we ordered desserts, we were rather rudely told that they would be closing soon and we felt hurried to finish up and get out. All in all, I was a bit embarrassed to have brought my friends and family to a place I'd raved about and to have such a disappointing experience. I really hope that this was a one-off and things aren't slowly going downhill, but I don't feel very motivated to visit again very soon.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“One Word: Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

You know, this isn't one of those "Michelin Star, celebrity chef, [--] factor +10" pretentious places that people go on about like it's the place to be seen.

The restaurant is one of those hole in the wall, laid back, homely places where you just say "give me whatever you think is a great thing" and be blown away by what you receive.

I've actually done this twice now and whilst I admit that I would never have selected a couple of dishes, but I have been impressed with what I have received.

Do yourself a favour, go there with no idea what yo want to eat and let Wayne & Adele pleasantly surprise you. ;-)

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“I really loved this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

i was very surprised when i went here for dinner, I guess I had some preconceptions... but it was a very good surprise!
I love the setting for eating, very relaxed and quite "special", the food was lovely and I had a really great evening,

• Visited October 2012