“As good as ever” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pier Restaurant

Pier Restaurant
Sir Leslie Thiess Drive | Townsville Marina, Townsville, Queensland QLD 4810, Australia (Formerly Pier Restaurant)
+61 7 4721 2567
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 244 Restaurants in Townsville
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Pier Restaurant is one of Townsville’s best A La Carte dining experiences with superb water views overlooking the Townsville marina, Castle Hill, Jupiter’s Hotel & Casino and Magnetic Island. The new modern Australian menu features freshly sourced seafood including barramundi, crab, succulent oysters cooked various ways, reef bugs plus consistently high quality cuts of meat with excellent variations of beef, lamb, pork and duck but not forgetting our signature seafood platters for one or for two people to share. The new menu is passionately prepared, cooked and delivered every day to customers by well know experienced Head Chef, Don Haddon who is a Townsville icon in the local cooking world! Supporting Don and bringing exciting new skills and experience to the Pier Restaurant is young local international award winning Sous Chef Braden Honnery and together along with the magnificent Restaurant Manager, Shannon Charles they completely ensure that the food and dining experience at the Pier Restaurant is well worth the visit. Whether it’s an intimate dinner for two, a large wedding reception, a function or a business luncheon, with its absolute waterfront location, the Pier is the perfect setting for your next dining experience
Brisbane, Australia
“As good as ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I last ate at 'the pier' restaurant several months ago, just after the new owners had taken it over. While recently in Townsville I went searching for places to eat. When looking at 'the pier' I was astounded at the relatively recent adverse reviews including, slow service, unhelpful and unfriendly staff, unskilled staff, poorly cooked and presented food etc; it just didn't sound like the same place at which I had eaten several months ago, so I decided to try 'the pier' again and check to see if it had changed.
I arrived at about 1820 hr, was greeted by a friendly staff member at the entrance and was seated in under 2 minutes at a nice spot overlooking Townsville Harbour, with no prior booking. Within a couple of minutes I had a food menu and a beverage menu. The floor staff were friendly helpful and attentive. I ordered the 'catch of the day' which was barramundi, and it was cooked to perfection and well presented. I had the 'caramelized banana' for desert and it was to die for. I then finished with a long black (and it was a very good coffee) and a Kahlua. At 1940 hr I paid the bill and was wished a wonderfully enjoyable Christmas and they hoped to see me again.
There was nothing about this dining experience that I could really fault; certainly none of the review faults that I had read about were experienced,in fat the experience was the exact opposite of the bad reviews.
All I can say is that I don't know where the bad reviewers were eating but it certainly wasn't the restaurant at which I had just eaten; it made me suspicious about those reviewers motives.

Visited December 2012

Townsville, Australia
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

A group of us dined at the Pier on Friday night; we had pre ordered our meals but unfortunately we had ordered off the old menu. Once seated we were not offered the opportunity to view the new menu, the staff merely substituted what they thought was the best dish for a replacement if the original chosen dish did not star on the new menu. Very dangerous practice with allergies and preferences these days, so a few disappointed patrons.
More interaction is needed by the wait staff - I had to ask for my glass of wine, and never got approached at the end of the meal with a coffee or tea offer.
The 'boys' said the toilet area was disgusting with paper towel bins overflowing all over the floor.
Also dined at the Pier a couple of weeks ago for lunch and found everything wonderful, so a very mixed experience.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Townsville, Australia
“We had a great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The restaurant overlooks the marina and is large and airy. What a pleasant change to find tables spaced a decent distance from each other and in an uncluttered and relaxed atmosphere. The menu has a seafood focus and even though two dishes had substitute fish for the evening, there was something to please everyone, including the 10 year old. If the fish isn't available fresh then I would prefer a fresh substitute.

We had a tray of seafood appetisers to start - it was to die for. I will go back and just order that next time and stuff myself with the delicious prawns coated in coconut, the crab spring rolls and the oysters. Everything was fresh and beautifully prepared.

The main meals were a generous serving. Even the children's serving of fish was nicely done. There are unusual flavour combinations, but they work.

The service was good and unobtrusive. I cannot stand waiters constantly hovering, always filling your glass and annoying you to purchase more drinks. The place was very, very busy but there was no delay at all. And there was no noise! Nothing worse than listening to the conversation of the table next door, or hearing the clanging of dishes from the kitchen.

We were so stuffed we couldn't order desserts! Next time for sure!

This is not a trendy, noisy, or rushed place to dine, it's for relaxed and sophisticated dining.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“The worst in many years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Attended the Pier Restaurant this week, and was very sadly disappointed. It seems to be living on an reputation of years gone by, as the word premier and pier should never be in the same sentence.

The service or lack of was nothing short of appaulling, waite staff unable to pour wine and when they did they left more on the table and customers than in a glass, in 3hrs no one at our table was offered a drink order, meals where delievered and just placed on the edge of table, meal where missed and forgotten.Steaks and lamb Rack over cooked and dry, meals lacked taste and where very bland. Wrong bill was given to table and extremely overpriced and a total waste of money.

What makes it worst the restaurant was not even full, it was just horrendous.

The interior is old and tired, and completely lacks any theme or premier setting.

Sorry but if you find this so called restaurant excellent but I found it hard to remember a dining experience so poor in australia or oversea

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“V disappointing all round; avoid.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

V disappointing. Natural Oysters were the runts of the litter and served at room temperature (fingers and legs are crossed in anticipation). Barra + Mango (and the 2 x other fish main courses) all proved the chef either had the night off or shouldn't have another night on. All topped-off with the plates being cleared like a fast-food chain. Go to Cactus Jacks.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere