“Very average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Airlie Beach, Australia
“Very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I think the owners are sitting on a development site. Maybe waiting for conditions to improve so not spending anything. The room needed a good clean and the pool looked evil although the linen was clean and bed comfortable.
As others have said it's close to everything even the walk to Palmer St. didn't take long. If you can get a deal as we did it's worth staying. Don't pay full price though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mackay, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband, myself and our two teenage children stayed 3 nights at "The Strand Motel" recently for sport. We would stay here again. It was clean, close to everything and surprisingly it was not noisy, as the pub is only 3 doors down. It is definately not a 5 star rated accommodation, but for people on a budget, this was worth it, if you are only looking for somewhere to sleep.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bathurst, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Today I left Townsville after my 2nd stay at The Strand motel. The first time was around 3years ago and then I found it to be basic but clean and comfortable. This time I found it to be under new ownership(?) and downright shoddy! My room was dusty, the Venetian blinds were painted black to cover the rust and they were broken so you couldn't open them. My bedside lamp was hanging out of the wall and the bulb had blown, the ceiling in the shower was covered with mildew and stank. The basin was clogged and didn't even have an s bend. All the furniture was mismatched 2nd hand rubbish with the bedside drawers not even having a proper bottom in them! The tv signal worked only if there was no wind! The manager asked me begrudgingly on check-in if I wanted milk like it was worth a fortune to him. I stayed 3 nights because I had booked them on line, otherwise I would have asked for a full refund and left. On the 2nd day, I asked if I could buy some washing powder as advertised in the office, as I wanted to take home clean clothes. He sold me the pkt and asked if I knew where the laundry was. I presumed it was still in the same building as my previous stay. But no, it is now next door behind the other set of rooms out in the open. One very old, dirty, domestic machine that has a cold wash only. No dryer. Oh, and you get to climb through the fence and stumble over the broken concrete path to use this gem. But first wait your turn.....there are 15 rooms in the other main building as well as however many are in this 2nd building. The whole yard is dirty and unkempt and the old laundry is presently being bodged into yet another room to let. The place reeks of sewerage outside and I think it was high time the council got in and had an inspection. On the 2nd day, the manager stopped me and said he didn't have a housekeeper that day and would I make do? Unbelievable! The housekeeper is the worn out wife of the owner.
Look, I never stay in palaces. Don't want them and don't pay the money to get them. But basic hygiene and cleanliness is an Australian must. The new owners are not Australian and would do well to learn our ways. I won't go back and will tell everyone I can how disgraceful it is. Guys, let's face it.....you can get a room in the Aquarius up the rd for $30 extra. And I bet their walls aren't mildew. Oh by the way, regardless of how many nights you are booking, they now charge extra for weekend-nights. Got charged $90 each for Wed & Thurs, then $100 for the Fri night.
Not happy!

Room Tip: Not at 51 the Strand!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stay here often and while it's basic it's simply the best value and location on the Strand . Just walk over the street and onto the Strand and be amongst all the 'happening' stuff . Walk along the waterfront or sit and enjoy the view out to Magnetic Island.

Restaurants , pubs , coffee shops and a few select boutiques and a handy shopping centre nearby.

Motel has a pool and off street parking .

Room Tip: If your not good with steps , ask for a ground floor room. No breakfast service , but there's a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have stayed here on many occasion and I have always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. It's in a great location. The sea view bar and restaurant is 2 doors down from the motel. They serve the best steak in town. I would def recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2010
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

My partner and I spent 4 nights at The Strand Motel, and it was EXACTLY what we wanted. We wanted to be on the beachfront - check! We wanted to be close to cafes/takeaway places - check! We wanted a room for under $100 - check! There is also a cab rank and a bus stop just outside. It was so convenient!

Yes, it's an old building and not contemporarily furnished - but the room was clean, the reception friendly and it was the best location in town! We enjoyed having the Austar too.

The only thing that might be a problem for some people (but not for us) is that it's right next to a pub that has karaoke on weekends - but shut the windows and put on the aircon, problem solved.

We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs, facing East.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

We just arrived at this motel. What a heap. We turned up and found something that didn't look like the pictures at all. Whilst the room seemed clean the whole motel needed a complete refit. The furniture was old as was the carpet and tiling. There was a bucket behind the fridge collecting water from a leak in the roof then when we opened the fridge there was an open bottle of curdled milk that was 2weeks past it's use by date. We will never be back and I advise people to not come here. STAY AWAY!!!! It's actually a real shame because the location was fantastic. Close to the waterpark on the strand and close to shops, cafe's and takeaways.

• Stayed March 2011

Been to The Strand Motel? Share your experiences!