“Good location but ended on disappointing note” 2 of 5 stars

Shoredrive Motel
117 The Strand, Townsville, Queensland, Australia   |
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Townsville
Winton
“Good location but ended on disappointing note”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Location is lovely, and it was very quiet, bed was very comfortable and linen was impeccable, however the room is tired and in need of TLC. The 'knob' for the fan switch was missing and required a great deal of twisting of the small 'stick' that stuck out to turn the fan on. The cold water tap was also just about falling off the wall. We didn't complain about any of this, but I wish I had considering the conversation I had with the manager on the way out. We were travelling with our 14 month old daughter, and we always take everything we need for her (cot, linen, towels etc) with us. There was no option to select infant in the booking, and as she is under two I was under the impression she wasn't classed as a child, particularly as she is not old enough to sleep in a full size bed alone. She was a bit upset when we put her to bed at 7:30 (strange place, out of routine etc) but she had calmed down and was fast asleep by 8pm and didn't stir till morning. When we were packing up the in the morning (7:30am) she was again out of sorts, but we kept her as entertained and quiet as possible. Upon checkout the manager asked me how many people I had in the room, and when I said two plus an infant, but that we bring everything for her ourselves, he told me that this should have been mentioned in the booking. I explained there was no option for infants in the booking system, and he said I should have told them on check-in and basically chastised me, telling me he didn't know what I did at other motels but it wasn't acceptable. I got the impression that he either wanted to relegate all 'families' to the back of the motel so as not to upset 'more important' guests, or that he felt he should have charged us more for having a 14month infant sleeping in the room, but either way we drove away regretting that we had chosen this motel. Shame, because the location to the Rockpool would make it a great place for families. If our daughter had been screaming all night I would understand, but we had the lights out by 8pm. I wonder if he would have confronted a couple who had enjoyed a vocal session of lovemaking well into the early hours of the morning as quickly as he did a pregnant woman with a little one?

Room Tip: Avoid Room 18!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were really happy with the quality of the room and service. Unrefurbished room, but fresh and tidy and beds had new linen so the room looked good. Linen etc were good quality. They are in the process of bringing the place up and doing a good job. The location is fantastic on the Stand and a really reasonable price. The staff went out of their way to accommodate us on the Sunday night of the V8 weekend. We were just travelling through and they could have just said they were full, but they offered us what they had and then managed to find a more suitable room when available. I was really impressed by their helpfulness.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
FNQ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

$30 admin fee for cancellation two weeks before staying here - dont bother with this place when they do this!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

We booked to stay here for the V8s weekend, then after reading all of the horrible and negative comments on this site I was unsure and nervous about the place we had just agreed to stay at. I called the owners and asked for an honest and not bias opinion because we were paying a lot of money to stay here and did not want to be disappointed. They advised they were new owners and in the process of renovating the rooms. I asked of we could make sure we were in a new room and therefore had to upgrade. Of course the price was outrageous because of this weekend but the room is perfect!! Great size, very clean and comfortable. We had excellent views and the location is perfect. Will definitely stay here again even if it's not a special event weekend.

• Stayed July 2012
Clermont, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

The Shoredrive offers the best of both worlds on the Strand in Townsville. If you want a room on a budget then they certainly deliver clean comfortable rooms for the smart travellers. Some of these comments I feel are harsh on this website. Don't expect 5 star when you don't want to pay 5 star! The new refurbed 4.5 star rooms that overlook Maggie Island are gorgeous and the lower level rooms that face the strand have their own courtyards. The new owners are certainly excited about reviving the once tainted reputation of pevious poor management. Just ask the reception staff if theres anything you need - they were fabulous! We would stay again - the location is just priceless!

Room Tip: Worth the little extra to stay in the new refurbed rooms overlooking the Island.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

This motel is a bit dated but I believe they are aware of this and are in the process of updating. New owners and a management team that were really helpful and accommodating.
My room was always clean and comfortable and the bed was comfortable. Would stay again when next in Townsville

Stayed April 2012
Ayr
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Hard to find a room on the strand for Easter Sunday so decided to book into the Shoredrive.
What a disappointment.Rooms were clean but very dated, new flat screen TV's that were smaller than a laptop screen, the noisy little box air-conditioner that shook the front wall when running and the door on our room was so warped that the safety catch would not engage.Worst of all was the big , open rubbish skip full of building waste and rotting garbage located in the car park not 10 metres from our door. The owner did tell me they were new to the industry, and in my opinion they will not last long if the don't lift their game

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Shoredrive Motel? Share your experiences!