“Ok rooms, extremely rude staff - beware” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Q1 Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Q1 Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Q1 Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   9 Hamilton Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Special Price
15% off your next stay
Ranked #7 of 74 hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Ok rooms, extremely rude staff - beware”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

1. Worst welcome ever.
2. Horrible, incompetent staff (namely Cathy)
3. Cannot multitask and give another customer towels for the pool whilst we were signing papers to check in. ? it takes 2 seconds common.
4. “Check in is at 2pm” – deal with it.
5. Luggage holding room “is not a changing service” – go change somewhere else.
6. Received a call confirming room was ready – “by the way your credit card declined so you will have to pay again in full before you get your room”. Really? Wrong, I have a receipt.
7. First impression = very frustrated/shocked.
8. Rooms are nice, comfortable, clean.
9. Discover fridge is broken, can’t keep milk for 1 night, too warm, although turned up to the coldest temp.
10. Discover dishwasher is broken – dishes come out dirtier than when they went in.
11. “Self-contained” – i.e bring your own toaster.
12. Cathy = complete dimwit. Could not offer answer to simple question “What time is the return theme park transfer I booked with you yesterday?” Response: “where does it say its return? [um, you told me it was, you booked it] Here, go on hold with the company while I serve another customer, just tell them your problem” [hands me the reception landline and puts me on hold to a message recording]. I hand back phone and tell Cathy this is her job. She refuses to wait on hold to find out the answer to my question. I ask “is there anyone else I can speak to?”
“No not right now…..well who else do you want to speak to?”
“I don’t care anyone apart from you”
“Ok I’ll get the manager”
Jason (the junior manager) joins us and answers simple question within 30 seconds. Thanks Jason.
13. Departing, I ask for evaluation forms or the like, all they can offer me is a business card with tripadvisor.com written on it.
14. Am told this card is “only if you want to say nice things”. What? Yep. Sure.
15. Get your act together Q1.

Room Tip: Check fridge temp and dishwasher work asap, if they dont, ask for upgrade!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear ALK 560,

Thankyu for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent experience at Q1 Resort and Spa. We genuinely appreciate all feedback as it is an oppurtunity to manage quality and objectively identify areas that may require improvement.

I am pleased that you found your apartment to be nice, comfortable and clean. However, I was concerned to read that many aspects of your stay did not live up to your expecatations. I am sorry that your first impression of the service provided by reception staff was not a positive one and I regret that throughout your stay that you found the service to be inconsistent. I apologise that your fridge and dishwasher were not operating properly.

I can assure you that these matters have been thoroughly investigated and addressed with the relevant department and their team. As a result we have adopted a more strict and thorough procedure to ensure we meet and exceed the expectations of our valued guests and clients.

1,109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adare, Qld,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Everything about this place was amazing. The room, the view, the service - second to none. I was a little concerned after reading the reviews........but I could not fault a second of our stay. Yes, the hot water took a little long to reach us - but come on - we stayed 36 stories up! Yes the lifts took a little while at times - but we were on holidays so what is the hurry! The bed was comfy. The room was clean and tidy. Very modern furnishings and everything we could possibly need for a three night stay. Yes the walls were marked in places - did it effect our stay? Absolutely not!
Location was fantastic - everything we could need within a VERY short walk.
I would return to the Q1 every day of the week if I could. Sadly my bank account won't allow it
:-(
But we WILL be back when we've saved up again!
:-)
And next time, looking forward to the poolside bar and cafe being up and running. We will spend much more time at the pool then (which by the way, was also amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear kshoff,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa on the Gold Coast. We value all feedback as it assists us in maintaining the quality of the Resort as well as identifying any areas that may require improvement.

I am pleased that you loved your stay at Q1 and I am pleased that you took the opportunity to judge for yourself the quality of the Resort.. Our website offers some great specials throughout the year so I trust that you will be back again soon. The poolside licensed cafe and bar called "Longboards" had its grand opening on Friday 21st December and it looks like its going to be a fun summer lazing around our three swimming pools and sipping on a nice cool drink.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 Resort and Spa in the future and trust that your next stay will be even better.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Q1 boast being the tallest residential high rise in Southern Hemisphere. Well positioned easy walking distance to the centre of surfers paradise. Very short walk to the beautiful Gold Coast beaches with awesome views.
How could it go wrong?
No maintenance , large apartments with broken showers ,dryers that make very scary sounds . Microwaves that won't turn off.
We were on the 20 th floor as you left the elevator the smell of dirty musty carpet was overwhelming .
A self contained unit for 6 people with 1 pan to cook with.
The one tea spoon to share was an interesting touch.
Iconic building that it would have been better if they went for better rather than biggest.

Room Tip: Go to a neighbouring hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear RMJ66,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Q1. We genuinely appreciate all feedback and use it to proactively improve upon the Resort with the goal of ensuring the guest experience is the best one possible.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the views and our great location. However, I am sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I regret that the inventory levels of your apartment were not at our par levels and that you experienced some problems with the maintenance of the apartments appliances and shower. These are not the high standards for which we are well renowned.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Q1 is all good. The common facilities like the pool and lifts were very good the location is fantastic.
We booked via independent operator. The condition of the apartment was average. The dishwasher didn't work, the jug was broken, there no plugs for bath or sink and the free cable tv didn't include a sports channel other than Fox News. It was also quite marked and shabby. Bit disappointing for what we paid. They rectified what they could.
If I did it again I'd pre inspect the apartment which was offered but we didn't think we needed to do :)

• Stayed December 2012
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear grantm1205,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Q1 building. Q1 Resort and Spa appreciates all feedback as it helps us to proactively improve upon the quality of the Resort and the services that we provide.

As it appears that you did not stay at Q1 Resort so I am unable to comment upon your accommodation. I am confident however, that should you stay with the Resort in the future, you will appreciate the difference in terms of quality. I am pleased that you enjoyed our great location and the facilities as well.

Thankyou again for your valuable comments.

Tweed Heads, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Just stayed the one night with our two sons (12 & 6yrs). Building looks great, but was disappointed to see walls "repaired" with unpainted rough plaster. Spa bath literally took over 40 minutes to fill. For a single person bath we all thought that was very poor. Pool is quite large, but quite plain. Lacks any real impact. Continental breakfast was very poor. Lack of choice, very busy and not worth anything close to $19 per head. There are plenty of cafes close by with full breakfasts for $10.
Views from the top were excellent. Lift to the 77th floor will make your ears pop.
Overall not bad. Would we go again ? Probably not.

• Stayed December 2012
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Graham H,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We appreciate all feedback as it helps Manage the quality of the Resort as well as identify via guest perception and areas that may need improvement.

I am sorry that some aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectations. I am pleased that you enjoyed the views and that you found the apartment to be spacious. However, I was concerned to read that you did not enjoy the breakfast and that the water pressure for your spa bath was not higher, Our Maintenence Manager has been informed of this. Your comments regarding breakfast have been passed on to Skypoint, which is seperately managed to the Resort.

Kind Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed in Q1 on 3rd December to 7th December, travelled from Melbourne.
The reception at first check in was great, we checked in at 3:30pm, we stayed in a 1 Bedroom spa, on level 3208, tle lift was very fast.

When we once open the door, the first impression was great! It was so clean, and housekeeping came everyday for fresh towels and clean the bed, and also gave new body wash and shampoo.
It's very quite, you can't really hear anything, the kitchen has every thing that is needed and I also made ice, the air conditioning was great too.

Every facilities worked perfectly, the Internet is wire less now, and the room is well refurbished.

Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to go to the pool and gym, but I guess we will go back to Q1 for the next visit to Gold Coast.

On the day of departure, me and my boyfriend didn't even want to go. Everything is so smooth, and we had a great short holiday because Q1 made us felt like at home.

Few months ago when I read the reviews here, I was worried, but I wanted to experience myself, and now it came out excellent, I was so happy that I made the right choice.

If you would like to stay in Q1, it's a great choice, because everything now is refurbished and Internet are now wireless, also it's minutes to shops and restaurants by walk.

5 stars!!! *****

Dear Sica0609,

Thankyou so much for sharing your Q1 experience on Trip Advisor. We value all feedback as it helps us to improve upon the quality of the product snd services that we provide.

I am pleased that you loved your stay with us. Q1 has undergone many positive changes, particularly in the second half of 2012 and I am pleased that you enjoyed the newly refurbished apartment and the wireless internet. I regret that you did not make full use of our great leisure facilities. Next time.

Thankyou again for your valuable comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home at Q1 and trust that your next stay will be even better.

Kind Regards,

Godalming, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have stayed several times over the years at Q1 and always enjoyed our stay. The apartments were always first class. This time, we made the mistake of booking through an agency without realising this was not Q1 Resort and Spa, and that we had booked a privately owned apartment. We were shown to an apartment which can only be described as Krazy Kasbah meets Tarts Parlour. We refused to spend even one night there. In the end, everything worked out, and we were accommodated elsewhere - but lesson learned, book through official Q1 channels only.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear DrivenByTheFour,

Thanktou for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We value all feedback as it assists us in the quality Management of the Resort as well as identifying any areas that may require improvement.

I am so pleased thar you have become one of our regulars and that you always enjoy your time with us. I appreciate the prudent advice about choosing to book direct with the Resort to make the most of the many benefits that Resort guests enjoy including a consistent standard of apartment furnishings.

Thank you again for your valuable comments, I look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 Resort in the future and trust that your next stay will be even better.

Q1 Resort and Spa

Been to Q1 Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!