“First Class Accommodation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Artique Surfers Paradise

You added Artique Surfers Paradise to your Saves list
Artique Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   cnr Surfers Paradise Blvd & Enderley Ave, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia (Formerly Artique Resort)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Zealand
“First Class Accommodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

The reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our apartment was very clean, comfortable and well worth its 4.5 star rating. The weekly rate proved to be exceptional and at a third of the cost compared to other similar rated accommodations in the area.

The hotel was peaceful and at this time of year (May) seemed to be more suited to a more mature audience (and not the teenage weekend party types). The facilities such as pool, sauna and gym were all clean, well maintained and well-equiped.

Thanks to the reception staff, we were able to leave our luggage in a safe location on the last day of our vacation. This meant we could make the most of that day without the challenge of carrying our suit cases around Surfers for 6 hours.

All in all a very relaxing and comfortable stay at Artique.

Room Tip: Request an apartment not facing the road
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

My wife and I and our 2 daughters, aged 2 and 10, recently stayed at the Artique Resort. Having read through the reviews on here beforehand we were a bit apprehensive, but we booked anyway. We were glad we ignored all the negative feedback on here. We stayed in a 2 bedroom superior ocean view apartment on the 29th floor (30 floors total). The room was great. Fairly roomy compared to other places we have stayed. The kitchen was big enough for both of us to work in there with plenty of storage cupboards. The living area and bedrooms were large, with great views up the coast and out to sea. Speaking of views, unless you stay higher than 30 floors up in the Q1, or stay right on the beach, you will not get unhindered views, so if you are expecting unhindered views, then perhaps you are not realistic. We were more than happy with our views and never felt Artique had falsely advertised. The only thing that we thought could have been better was the size and brand of the tv (32” Palsonic), but as most of the apartments are furnished by the individual owners its not really Artique’s fault.
We really enjoyed the pool and spa. The pool was heated and even though the weather was quite cool at times, the water was still quite refreshing once you were in.
Overall, it made our holiday very relaxing and lived up to expectations. On the few occasions we had to visit reception, the staff were very friendly. The resort is located easy walking distance from any service you need, and less than 30min from all theme parks.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Geelong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Artique was an acceptable resort. We had read reviews stating that the staff were rude, but we found them OK.
Location was a factor in our stay as we walked or used public transport. All this was A+.
The only criticisms we have was the 'heated' pool- was it 'naturally air heated' as the beach was warmer?? Many other guests thought so too.
Also the $300 bond or ‘ransom’ with signs for everything that will cost, such as failure to empty the rubbish bins will be $50, breakages of crockery will be charged (fortunately we did not have any, but come on, accidents do happen and this should be factored into the rental price). Of course, I do not refer to people who trash rooms, as they should be made to pay.
Even fees if the dishes are not washed and put away, or if the room was left clean and it was pretty hard to try to vacuum the floor when the bag in vacuum was full with no replacement.
It is the only accommodation we have ever stayed in with so many conditions and charges and this clouded our impression of the resort. As such we would not stay there again or recommend it to others. The management needs to wise up and realise that families do have accidents, and that the crockery supplied is hardly ‘Royal Doulton’ quality or ‘Waterford Crystal’ and certainly not brand spanking new. If they are so concerned about breakages, why not supply plastic plates for children to use?
It brings to my mind the old radio comedy "How Green was My Cactus", back in the 1980's when Paul Keating wanted to bring in a FBT- "Federal Breathing Tax". Perhaps this should not be suggested to Artique or they will charge a Breathing Tax, next.
Definitely need to look into their sliding doors as it needs incredible force to shut them so that they will lock, perhaps even Superman strength. We reported this and were just told that there were two sliding doors and they need to be ‘both pulled together’. But realistically, one could injure themselves trying to secure these doors. But staff did not seem interested in this feedback.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Clean, comfortable apartment. Great location for beach and surfers paradise centre. Nice pool, great spa. The golf simulator is reserved for club members only and this wasn't specified.
There were two shifts of reception staff we encountered. The young guy and lady were friendly and helpful. The older ladies were really quite rude and unhelpful, and completely uninterested in their jobs. They were passive aggressive and supercilious, quite unacceptable for staff who are the face of the establishment. We see from other reviews that this is not the first time this has been commented on, and wonder if the manager has seen fit to take these comments seriously. Their approach has the potential to put guest off further stays.

Room Tip: Go through a private owner....cheaper
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Artique is a nice enough building in a good enough location.

What it is not, by any standard is a high class resort - and unfortunately, the service at the property ranges from dire to non existent. This extends all the way to the property management. Although this property is marketed through Accor, do NOT expect a Sofitel, Mercure or even an Ibis level of service here....

The fact that Artique brands itself as a 4.5 star RESORT is misleading at best, a downright lie at worst. (as of today, the word resort appears on wotif / lastminute / sunlover / tripadvisor etc etc)

I note that the property management now claim that they are infact a 4.5 star SELF CATERING PROPERTY (which has a different - much, MUCH more lax rating system than hotels and resorts). Would the average holidaymaker know the difference between the widely known 4.5 star hotel / resort rating system and the lesser known "self catering" rating system? - I am guessing not.

With this in mind, lets look at a simple yes and no for what you might expect in a property proudly boasting 4.5 stars and what Artique 'Resort' (sic) 'Self Catering Apartments' actually offer:

Extended Hours Room Service: NO
ANY Room Service: NO - a book of local takeaway/delivery shops is NOT room service.
Fine Dining Restaurant: NO
Alternate Restaurant/Bar: NO
ANY Bar or Restaurant: NO
Baggage Assistance: NO
24 Hour Check In: NO
24 Hour Reception: NO
Business Centre: NO
Public Spaces well designed with high quality materials: YES
High Standard of Furnishings in Guest Room: NO (Ikea alert)
High Standard of Amenities in Bathroom: NO
High Range of Guest Activities: NO
Pool / Sauna / Spa: YES
Valet Parking: NO

Check in is only open during office hours, as we arrived after hours, we were directed via intercom to a safe with a keypad on it to get our keys -how very 4.5 stars (ahem)... We got to our 2br apartment only to find out that we had been booked in a room with one queen and 2 singles instead of the requested 2 doubles. Upon calling reception to have the issue resolved - we were told by the lady on the phone that there was no-one working at the hotel and we were in fact speaking to a answering service off-site. We were advised to speak with reception in the morning.

After having a shower that evening, upon unfolding the bath towel, I noticed a brown, nasty, skid like stain on it. Now, I am not a scientist and no tests were done on the stain to confirm its origin, - BUT if it looked like and smelt like...... I was not about to dry myself with it.

The next morning at reception, we were abruptly told that if we wanted to change rooms, we would have to pay a cleaning fee of $50 for the room we had just stayed in. (yes, cleaning fee - for the room with the brown 'striped' towel) I pointed out that I had made contact on arrival the night before to request the change, but this was to no avail, it was either pay up or stay where we were in the wrong bedding arrangement. (Fist time I have ever come across this crazy policy in literally hundreds of hotels). I passed the towel across the desk in reception to a dry and disinterested apology consisting of 'sorry about that' and nothing else.

It was also at this time that we were told we would have to pay a key deposit of $200 (from memory), and an additional cleaning fee of $50 to $100 if we did not clean our room, wash the dishes and take out our own garbage at the end of our stay (I am not kidding!! - shows what management thinks of its guests!!!).

The tone of the service provided at reception was dour and condescending - that of an aging school mistress chastising naughty children. The confrontation left an uncomfortable and sour taste in our mouth for the whole stay.

It is a shame that the service policies and procedures are so off kilter at Artique. The apartments them self are really nice, quite roomy and with a good sized balcony big enough for 6 to dine on. The bedrooms are of a reasonable size and the bathrooms, towel excluded, are nice and clean (though dodgy generic amenities). The views over the beach and city are great. The pool, spa and sauna area are clean and very modern, the gym - small but functional. The furniture in the room was of average flat-pack quality and as mentioned, very Ikea - though did the job required.

If they could sort out the service inconsistencies, replace the dragon staff at reception and bring the policies and procedures into line of that of a 4.5 star property... Artique could be very much a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

When i booked Artique i hadn't read any reviews so i started feeling like i had made a mistake after coming on Trip Advisor & seeing what other people had written. However, as soon as i buzzed the late check in intercom, my worries disappeared! Everything was organised for my partner and i and was one of the easiest check-ins ever! Waking up the next morning to a beautiful Ocean view on one side and the gorgeous Hinterland on the other was stunning! The reception wasn't overly friendly but they were far from the rudeness described in some of the online reviews. We received an occasional smile or nod on our way in and out of reception throughout our stay but realistically, i was there to be with my partner and have a great time together, not to become best friends with the staff. Room was clean, comfortable with all essentials provided. Thanks Artique! You made our engagement holiday very pleasurable and would definately reccomend!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

My family and I went to the Gold Coast for a family holiday, we were told that the Artique was near by the shops and had an amasing beach view. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment and we were quiet disappointed with the service and the rudness of the reception staff, As soon as we got in we saw Ants crawlling all over the kitchen bentch each time we would kill one many more appeared I called our travel agency Flight Centre and asked to be changed to a new apatment but Reception staff would not give me back my money, when I asked to speak to the Manager I was told there would not be a mangaer on site until Monday we only stayed there for one night but were charged for two. I finally spoke to the manager on the phone and she was quiet offensive and rude to me and told me that she would not be giving me back a refund I agured with her for a while and looked for a more sutiable apartment for my family and I. It was really hard when I hard two young children under the age of two and did not get any help from the staff or the Manager herself. The service was poor the apartment was small and very dirty I will not recommend this apartment for anyone you will be very much disappointed. I have been back now for two weeks and I still have not as yet recieved a refund. I am still waiting and if I have to I will take matters further.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
ArtSFP, General Manager at Artique Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Your complaint to the agent on the 1st day was because we were not directly on the beach.
We apologise if you found ants in your apartment,we have never heard of ants on the 16th floor before. We ave not ever had a problem with Ants on any floor.You did not report this until the 2nd day.
The 6 monthly pest control had just been carried out before your stay. You would not allow our maintenance or houskeepers or management in to the apartment to see the ants whilst you were there. I personally looked after you vacated with our maintenance staff,we even pulled out the dishwasher but did not find any ants.
The apartment size is 98 sq metres including the 18 sq metre balcony,this is a lot larger than most.
The agent you booked through is actually Sunlover holidays and we agreed with them to only charge 2 nights.You checked in at midday on the Friday 5th Feb and departed Saturday the 6th.The apartment owner was left without a booking for 7 nights ,it is only reasonable to pass two nights cancellation fee to them.We have not taken any money from you as the agent will not pay us until the end of March.Your refund will be given back from Sunlover if you contact them.
Once again we apologise that you were not happy with our location the agent should have told you we are 200m from the beach,it is in their brochures and all literature.

Been to Artique Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!