“good location and views, BUT...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BreakFree Aloha

Save Saved
You added BreakFree Aloha to your Saves list
BreakFree Aloha
8 Tickett Street, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4218, Australia (Formerly Aloha Holiday Apartments)   |
Miami, Florida
“good location and views, BUT...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We liked the location and great ocean views, but STRONG fresh paint smell was quite overwhelming. During low season period, I am sure they had other empty rooms available. Also, toilet was quite dirty. Staff could be friendlier.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Diane H, General Manager at BreakFree Aloha, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review BreakFree Aloha, we are happy that you liked our location it is one of the best. I sincerely apologise that we did not get it quite right this time, we do take your comments on board and value your feedback as an integral part of our continuing aim to maximise service to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I booked the Aloha apartments recently to celebrate my birthday with a weekend away. We arrived to the apartment smelling like bleach, so much so that we had to open all the doors and windows to flush the smell out.

Sometime after we arrived back from having dinner that night we discovered Ants crawling around on the lounge room floor. Before we went to bed they disappeared, only the return again in the morning.

We also noticed that the bed linen was making my partner and I itch. Although we didn't have any bites on us in the morning and even though it may not have been Bed lice it might have been the detergent used to wash the sheets.

We were booked in for 2 nights but we only stayed for the one night after finding somewhere else to stay for the 2nd night.

When checking out the receptionist did ask if there was a problem and we did tell her, she was apologetic but really didn't offer any resolution other than that we should have called the call centre and they "may" have been able to help us out. Both my partner and I having only had short amount of sleep the night before did not feel like agruing the point at that particular time.

When I arrived home I did however make a formal complaint through the Breakfree website who then passed it onto the Manager of the Aloha. The Manager wrote back and although apologetic sort of made us out be liars. She basically said that when she went to expect the room it didn't smell of bleach and that there wasn't any ants from what she could see.

I don't usually make complaints very easily and although I didn't get a refund and I am out of pocket by over a $100.00. It was the tone of the letter I got back from the manager that has really made me upset.

I won't be booking the Aloha again and I don't think I will be looking at any Breakfree Resort again, even if I get a 20% discount.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Diane H, Manager at BreakFree Aloha, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Please accept my apologies, in my response letter to your email I was addressing your comments and concerns and I can absolutely 100% assure you it was not intended to have any 'tone', nor would I want any guest to feel that I thought they were lying, I was just trying to point out that at BreakFree Aloha we have very high standards when it comes to housekeeping and cleanliness of our apartments and as the General Manager I take a pro-active approach by inspecting every arrival room, I just don't know where the ants came from. I am sorry that there has been a misunderstanding of communication on our part and I thank you for taking the time to write to us and review us on Trip Advisor. We take all reviews seriously and we pride ourselves on our commitment to knowing what matters and customer service. Once again I do apologise that your expectations were not met.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I have no complaints about this apartment. We stayed on the 10th floor for 4 nights with an amazing view! The rooms were well furnished and spacious. And the balcony was a decent size as well. The staff were amazing. We arrived mid morning and they had our room cleaned first from the previous guest so we could check in early. Any questions that we had about anything were answered very well by the ladies on the front desk.

The location of the apartment was great. 100m from the beach and 2 streets away from Cavill avenue so you can get a good nights rest. The centro shopping centre 2 minutes walk away has everything you need and we were able to cook quite a few meals using the utensils that were provided in the apartment.

The pool and spa facilities were great as well although it would be good if the bubbles in the spa would run for more than 5 minutes. Security was great as you need your key to get in after 6pm and having the car park was great as well. I would stay here again definitely as we got a good price on the room as well!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Diane H, Manager at BreakFree Aloha, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, we are pleased and happy you enjoyed your stay at BreakFree Aloha and we look forward to welcoming you back. We appreciate your feedback.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

Too dirty for words had to buy cleaning products before we would use bathrooms and kitchen couldn't hang our clothes until we cleaned all the hangers. Staff were not concerned at all just said will pass onto the cleaners. No aircon fans provided but so dusty and unclean we were too frightened to turn them on for fear they would catch on fire. Never again great location and views. Pool was good except needed some hand rails as one of my party has a bad hip so needed helping in and out

• Stayed October 2011
Diane H, General Manager at BreakFree Aloha, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
We are disappointed and concerned that we failed to meet your expectations. Our housekeeping team have high standards and this has been a rare oversight on their part - we thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, all reviews are taken seriously and are used to improve our service to guests, your feedback is very much appreciated.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

My partner and two of my friends stayed at Breakfree Ahola while we were down for the Gold Coast 600 in October 2011. The rooms were fantastic with brand new furniture and facilities. The rooms were spotless from top to bottom when we arrived and the views are amazing from the Balcony of our Two Bedroom Apartment. Very happy with the fact we had fridges/freezers in the main area and also in the second bedroom along with two microwaves,kettles, toasters and two bathrooms so we were completely seperate for some of the time. Literally a minute from the main beach and conveniently close to the local shops and restaurants in Surfers Paradise. Staff were very friendly and helpful and assisted us with whatever we needed and it was very convenient to have parking available for our stay. I would definitely go back there again when staying at Surfers Paradise and I am recommending to those I know.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, we pride ourselves on our commitment to customer service and knowing what matters for our guests. Our housekeeping team have very high standards which can be felt and seen when walking into our apartments at BreakFree Aloha. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

we stayed here for 4 nights in march 2010, we booked a 2 brm apartment, & were surprised on arrival we were in the penthouse (topfloor), views were to die foor, that was the best part of our stay. the balcony was very narrow enough room for 3 people to sit(just), furnishings were very outdated, 2 single beds in 1 room with cheap foam mattresses ( thefloor would have been more comfortable) long black hairs in the shower & all thru the bathroom, kitchen hadn't seen a good clean for a long while but we found the pool & BBq area were great, yes they only advertise 3 star & we were only expecting 3 star but definatly didnt reach our expectations

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
AlohaGC, Manager at BreakFree Aloha, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
We thank you for your review and agree that the views are to die for on the 15th floor, we are also pleased to advise the apartment you stayed in has been refurbished since your stay in 2010, unfortunately we can't do a lot about the size of the balconies but we would love to welcome you back so that we can show you true BreakFree hospitality, and as you have stayed with us before you will know we are situated in the very best of locations with everything at your doorstep...

Di Heath
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Travelled with a friend.. We had a late check-in. Which wasn't very convenient but didnt really mind.. Was on the 9th floor, with a lovely view. I think it was the view that made it all seem good.. Waking up to ocean views.. Excellent location from main street Cavill Ave, beach & shops..
The service of staff was POOR. Not friendly at all, not welcoming & seemed to be a bother to ask for help.. They never offered us maps or any information about the area (lucky we already knew). The only times we did see them which wasnt very often, they never remembered us, & everytime we entered or exited we were asked who we were n what room we stayed in. Was not impressed at all. Any work done of their behalf seemed like a chore. Never once were we asked if we were enjoying our stay.

Furniture needs to be updated a tad.. as with kitchen appliances such as stove..
Also had an old smell to the rooms on first arrival..
Pool area was nice but thinks it should be open longer than 9pm

Overall i would stay there again, mainly because of the location & view..

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
AlohaGC, General Manager at BreakFree Aloha, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our property. We do apologise that our service standards did not meet your expectations and have taken your comments on board. Your feedback is appreciated as we strive to meet customer satisfaction at every level.
BreakFree Aloha

Been to BreakFree Aloha? Share your experiences!