“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Crown Towers

Save Saved
You added Mantra Crown Towers to your Saves list
Mantra Crown Towers
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5-19 Palm Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #25 of 74 hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Australia
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This place has a fantastic pool (little cold but great anyway). The kids pool is a bit deep but ok if you are in the water with them. Nice large indoor pool too. Accommodation is clean. In a great location with about 5 min walk to central Surfers shopping strip. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MantraCrownTowers, Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
It is great to hear that you enjoyed our location and all the facilities our resort has to offer, therefore making the most of your holiday. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Crown Towers.

454 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have never bothered to write a review before but I am so disgusted that I feel people should be warned. We booked a one bedroom apartment over the phone with the gold coast tourist office (GCTO) after I looked at an apartment on stayz.com. The only question i asked specific to our apartment was "does it have air on." We paid $2821.00 for a week from the 30th dec to 6th jan. We ended up having to move two more times during our stay.
When I arrived I noticed the ripped daggy curtains, and outdated decor and the ancient box tv, but thought well it's only a week. The representative from GCTO stated " I haven't put the air-con on high sometimes it can be too cold for some people. At that point I thought it was a bit odd but forgot about it and we moved in our belongings.
We realised that night the air con was broken, it was 28 plus degrees in our apartment. We couldn't open a window as there were only sliding doors and it was unsafe as our 2 year old could easily climb onto the chair or table and fall off the balcony. We also couldn't lock the front door which meant our daughter could open it herself and leave the apartment on her own. This was the same of all 3 rooms we ended up staying in.
The next day we called the GCTO to report the broken air-con and were told someone would come to reset it. We arrived home to a very hot apartment and note that if this didn't work they would send a technician. I rang back immediately to say it wasnt working. By this stage it was too late in the day to get someone and the next day was a public holiday. We spent 3 uncomfortable nights in an apartment that was $400 per night. I asked to move rooms but was told the resort was completely full.
The next day I rang to find out when the technician was coming to repair the air-con. I was told no-one could come, these things happen, and our website doesn't guarantee air-con. It was 31degrees that day and cooler outside than inside. I threatened to call the ombudsman, whom I will still be contacting. After this I was told they had found us another apartment but on the last night we would have to move back to the original apartment once the air-con was fixed. I was desperate, our daughter wasn't sleeping in the heat and agreed.
The second apartment was also outdated in terms of decor but the air-con worked. The bed however was awful. Both my husband and I woke with back pain each morning. Despite this given the first apartment we stayed.
We waited to hear what was happening with the original apartment no one bothered to call us.
On the day we were supposed to move ( we still had the original apartment keys) we went to check if the apartment was cool, the air-con was still not working. We called at around 9am and were told we had to be out by 10am. The third room was not yet ready. I said I wouldn't leave until the room was available. It was meant to be a holiday not a sleepless week spent unpacking and packing. Another person dropped off the 3 rd set of keys there was no offer to help with moving, again.
The third apartment was a 2 bedroom apartment in the tower. It had air on in the living area and fans in the bedrooms. The decor was more modern. Everything seemed ok. We had considered just cutting our losses and booking a night in a hotel. Then I walked into the bathroom and noticed hair in the sink and on the bench. The apartment was filthy. The floors were disgusting. I was so sick and tired iod dealing with the GCTO that I ended up washing the floors myself. The water was black after just mopping the floor in the bathroom. The shower and bath were filled with sand and had not been cleaned. I cleaned these too... And the kitchen benches.... The kitchen floor.... And then vaccummed the carpet. If I was the owner I would be disgusted. To top off the stay, the broken shower head fell on me on the last day. Says it all!
All in all the pool area is lovely. The apartments are individually owned so you don't know what you are getting, 5 percent don't have air-con and are the same price as those that do. The service from GCTO was useless. It is surprised to be child friendly but in all 3 apartments we couldn't lock the front door. Our 2 year old could easily open the doors and walk out. And if you end up in an apartment without air-con if you have young children there are no windows to open so if you open the balcony door if they can climb they could easily fall off the balcony.
Oh and the balconies were dirty with old cigarette butts.
The worst accommodation I have ever stayed in. ( and this includes travelling through India)
If you have already booked try to get a refund, otherwise this is what you are risking. Mantra also don't guarantee air-con and charge the same prices for rooms with and without.

Room Tip: You will not be guaranteed a room with aircon or updated facilities by either mantra or the gold coa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MantraCrownTowers, Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We are very sorry to hear that your stay was so unsatisfactory. Unfortunately we are not in a position to comment or assist you, as the unit that you stayed in is not managed by Mantra. It is also unfortunate that Trip Advisor does not distiguish between agents and on-site management and we can only reccommend that next time you are making a booking, you choose to book direct with the property, so you can enjoy your stay as many other guests have done.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

A friend and I stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 nights. We were very impressed with the size of the apartment. Both bathrooms were very spacious, as were the kitchen and living areas. Had the couches converted to beds, it would have easily slept 6 people.

The balcony was a good size and had a lovely veiw of the city with the ocean behind it. We could also see the thrill rides next door (you can hear muffled screams from the people on them - until they close at about 9.30 - 10pm),

Would definitely reccomend to families... Big pool and children's play area, very close walk to the beach and surfers paradise shopping, cafes, etc. You can also order room service from a dozen local restaurants.

Airconditioning was old but worked well. Kitchen includes new microwave, oven, fridge/freezer, and dishwasher. Note you'll need to buy dishwashing detergent if you stay a while... only one sachet provided. Beds were firm but comfortable. Standard extra pillows and blankets as you would expect.

TV was a bit old and there was no DVD player - thankfully we'd brought a laptop and HDMI cable to watch some movies on. For some reason we didn't get the extra free to air channels (like GO, GEM, 7TWO, etc).

PARKING TIP - If you have more than one car, you'll probably need to park outside the hotel... Just one block down the street there is parking for $1/hour (max. 5 hour charge).

Room Tip: Request ocean view room. There are 30+ floors so go as high as possible!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your holiday with us at Mantra Crown Towers! Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. You have clearly taken full advantage of our great location, the services and facilities our resort has to offer, therefore maximising your holiday experience. Our resort is well-loved by families for the reasons you have mentioned, and we pride ourselves on continually improving our resort to the satisfaction of our guests. The next time you holiday on the Gold Coast, please let us know as we would welcome the opportunity to host you again.
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Room 2504, a two bedroom ocean view apartment for three nights. We paid $1419.00 for this which had no inclusions whatsoever - not even a single room service/change of towels. I was very surprised about this given the premium price. Apparently it costs extra to have a "refresh" - which I thinks means a room service. Should definitely have been included - at least one room service for a three night stay at that price.

The lagoon pool area is absolutely fantastic - could not be better for families. The shade areas are well placed and excellent. The pool kiosk is doing a stellar job with super friendly service, excellent toasted sandwiches and other lovely hot and cold food and reasonable prices. The whole swimming area and set-up is really, really good and the lagoon area and kiosk make the whole place a stand-out. The Thai Restaurant is excellent and really pretty. The Coast Seafood and Steak place is barely adequate and too dear - no one seems to go there anyway. But the pool kiosk and the Thai restaurant more than make up for this overall. The resort reception staff were trying hard at check-in and check-out which was great.

Our room was pleasant, with a lovely view but pretty ordinary. It was clean, very spacious with adequate but worn furniture and fittings. But very sparsely equipped. One single small sachet of dishwashing liquid for a three night stay is silly. I imagine such sachets cost about 20 cents each when bought in bulk - the stinginess on these kind of things - also toilet rolls - is very inconsistent with the average price per night of $470 per night that we were shelling out. Personally, If I was an apartment owner, I would want to make sure that the guests were washing my dishes with lots of dishwashing liquid!! Not good hygiene for anyone to be rationing it out until the poor guests got around to going to a shop to waste time and money on buying a bottle of dishwashing liquid for a three night stay. So the "basic rations" idea does not work at all for the price - fine if it is a three star $250 max per night effort for two bedrooms. Not fine for anything more expensive than that. No doubt extra rations could be purchased from the hotel - again, an extra toilet roll or two and a few sachets of detergent should be included if the prices are at a premium.

The Crown Towers would be absolutely fantastic - nearly perfect - if the price was $350 per night for ocean view two bedrooms in peak time - much less at other times. As it is, it is very over priced. If we see good price deals on in the future, we will definitely go again as the kids loved it. Really, I would have preferred to rate this place "good" rather than "very good" given the price, but my 9 year old daughter just told me the lagoon area was "totally awesome" and the "best ever" - she would have given the resort 20 stars. But then she didn't have to foot the bill!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your comments, we appreciate your feedback. We would like to clarify that we are not a hotel, but a fully self contained apartment resort, which entitles guests to a mid-stay service with bookings of 8 nights or more. For this reason your unit is fully equipped with a starter pack of amenities on arrival, but being self-contained, any extra amenities required are to be supplied by the guest. As a courtesy we assist with extra supplies from reception upon request. Rates are determined based on supply and demand in our area of Surfers Paradise. The rates are constantly reviewed to ensure we also are comparative to other resorts in our area. Rates are also configured taking into consideration not only the accommodation, but also our location and other facilities the resort has to offer. We are happy to hear that your family utilised our facilities and are happy to return in the near future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

The first time we ever stayed here,approx 4 yrs ago,got amazing modern room,nice & clean ect. The 2nd time-absolute disaster,had apparently booked through a 'private' booking agency & turned up to an unclean appartment nut reception assured us it was not their problem.
So having 2 little boys,I decided we couldn't go wrong if we made sure we booked directly with Crown Towers...& it's the only place I know with such a great pool. But upon arrival & hoping we could book in early after an 8 hr drive..room still wasn't ready by 2pm. Lunch downstairs was all overfried beyond life..calamarie & muggets. The room was a daggy old room,with ripped cushions,leaky dishwasher,outdated by a few decades & certainly not worth the money...& the 'fully contained' was just the barest basics with cracked plates. All ugly.
Time to find another resort for us.

• Stayed January 2013
We are very disappointed to hear that your return stay did not meet the high expectations you had based on your first stay at Crown Towers. As you have mentioned, the unit you recently stayed in was managed by an off-site agency and not Mantra. In these cases we are unable to assist you or comment on the standard the unit as it is not a unit which we manage. We hope that you give Crown Towers another opportunity by booking with Mantra next time you holiday on the Gold Coast.
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed with family & friends over the New Year period. Booked a privately owned 3 bedroom apartment on the 24th floor (2405). Room decor was outdated and the place was dirty and smelly. Didn't look like had been cleaned. On the up side, the size and view were great. The resorts facilities were very good including lagoon pool, kiosk, Thai restaurant, staff, location etc. Overall, our dissatisfaction was with the actual room; it's standard of cleanliness and old decor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MantraCrownTowers, Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments. As you have mentioned, the apartment you booked and stayed in was actually a privately managed apartment, not managed by Mantra as the on-site management. Therefore we are unable to comment on your assessment of the unit itself. However it is encouraging to hear that you took full advantage of the great facilities our resort has to offer, and enjoyed our fantastic location. We would welcome the opportunity to accommodate you next time you holiday on the Gold Coast.
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have recently returned from 9 nights ay Mantra Crown Towers.(Dec 3 - Dec 12). Overall our stay was very pleasant.
They had allocated us rooms just as we had asked (a two bedroom apartment on the lower level for our family with small children, and a one bedroom ocean view for my parents).
The apartments were both spacious, well appointed and fairly modern. Only little things missing in both apartments were some face washers and a dish brush.
Our apartment was fairly clean, although we had to get housekeeping to come and vacuum out the couches which were FULL of sand! The deck and outdoor furniture looks like it needed a clean too.

The pool area is fantastic, with a beautifully kept (huge) outdoor lagoon pool, a separate children's pool (with a slide that my kids loved,) and an indoor heated pool. We used the indoor heated pool quite a lot as the lagoon pool is shaded by buildings in the afternoon so was a bit cold. I'm sure it would be lovely once it was the middle of summer.
The pool kiosk does great food!
The Thai restaurant was our favourite and we went there twice. Great quality food and service.
I thought the 'Coast' restaurant in the foyer was adequate, but expensive for fairly average food.
One thing I was most disappointed about that this hotel does not recycle. Anything! It all goes into the rubbish which I think is a disgrace. I was told they didn't recycle because "It was such a big hotel." Very poor.
Watch out that you don't book here when 'Schoolies' is on because this hotel was apparently crammed with teenagers. My brother-in-law came down for a couple of nights and was allocated an apartment that smelled like a urinal. Reception quickly allocated him another apartment, and staff said they were 'still catching up' on cleaning after schoolies.
If you are booking here, think about whether you want a hinterland view apartment or not, because those ones get the full afternoon sun. Our apartments looking over the pool and beach were nice and cool in the afternoon.
If you stay here, make specific requests in writing about what you prefer.

Room Tip: Watch out that you don't book here when 'Schoolies' is on because this hotel was apparen...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
It is great to hear that you enjoyed all the facilities our resort has to offer. Our staff strive to accommodate our guest’s requests, ensuring they have the most enjoyable stay possible. You mentioned a lack of recycling, in fact our resort actually does recycle, our staff simply collect the items for recycling from each floor separately to the regular rubbish, as environmental sustainability is a priority to the Mantra Group. It is unfortunate that you were given incorrect information in this regard. Our resort caters to the Schoolies guests for the annual school leaver’s festival, however as we understand most families would rather avoid sharing the resort with Schoolies guests, we are very careful to inform anyone enquiring about booking during that time that it is in fact the Schoolies period. It is a priority to us to meet all our guests’ expectations and ensure their holiday is the best it can be. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Been to Mantra Crown Towers? Share your experiences!