“Great location, nice sized apartments.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copacabana Apartments Gold Coast

You added Copacabana Apartments Gold Coast to your Saves list
Copacabana Apartments Gold Coast
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   24 Hamilton Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Gold Coast
“Great location, nice sized apartments.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Planned a last minute trip to the Gold Coast with my partner and decided to save a dollar and stay at Copacabana. Rooms are spacious compaired the new hotels & resorts that are everywhere. Apartments are fully self contained and require everything you need. Resort is a little old but this did not effect us. Staff are friendly and helped with directions and info on nice places to eat, etc. Location is perfect, short walk into the centre of town and even closer to the beach (not that we went, it was way too cold!!).
Would be good if they took 1 night stays, but staying the extra night was an excuse to stay on the coast. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in a two bedroom apartment. Rooms are very spacious and comfortable. Rooms a little old but still clean. Location is fantastic, short walk to surfers. Staff was very friendly and helpful! We got a cheap rate and would def stay again!

• Stayed June 2011
New Delhi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Extremely poor service - rude staff!!

Very poor hygiene and cleanliness in the rooms.

Overall a terrible experience - very poorly managed place..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

I'm not normally a review writer and I've stayed in some dumps in my time and I realise this place is only 3.5 stars but you still expect some minimum level of comfort and service when you stay in any apartment.

This place is undergoing a refurb which we were not informed about prior to our stay, so we had to put up with 8 days of horrendous paint fumes and concrete drilling at 7am which is great when you have 2 kids under 12 months staying with you. The pools, sauna, spa and games room were all closed and there was no compensation offered despite our request. I can understand refurbs are necessary but The staff couldn't have cared less about any of our concerns and gave us their "Too Bad Too Sad attitudes". They urgently need to learn something about the hospitality industry. The beds and pillows were all terrible. When we complained we were given equally bad pillows which were removed the next day when the cleaners came in anyway. We believe the bite marks on my sisters legs were most likely from bed bugs. There are no lifts so we had to lug all of our baggage up 3 flights of stairs without touching any of the wet painted walls.

I wouldn't stay here again and don't recommend it to anyone else unless you like being rudely addressed and having your concerns ignored by the incompenent staff. Its a pity because the location is the only thing the place has going for it....Hopefully someone else will buy the place and replace the worthless staff with people that actually give a damn.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
TJT40, Manager at Copacabana Apartments Gold Coast, responded to this review, September 25, 2010
There are many management areas that require constant attention and care in an accommodation business. Client Fulfilment, which includes amongst other things, building and apartment standards as well as customer service and support standards, is certainly one of the most significant ones. It is for this reason that we continually strive to make improvements at Copacabana and why I am writing this comment.

Sometime ago, the Body Corporate at Copacabana made a deliberate and conscious decision to upgrade the building and its facilities so that our guests could enjoy higher standards. One of the policies at Copacabana is to notify the distribution channels that promote Copacabana, of all refurbishment work this is to be undertaken at the building 3 months in advance. The distribution channels then notify the consumers, at the time of inquiry, of the refurbishment work that is to be undertaken. I cannot explain why there was no notification given to the guest in the previous review. This is obviously being dealt with separately.

When work of this type is done, it is impossible to close a building down when there are residents who live on site and holidaymakers that come and go from the complex. Due to the nature of refurbishment works, that is the need to co-ordinate and manage multiple contractors and suppliers and the need to minimise the disruption caused by the work to residents and guests, the most effective course of action to take is to compress the time frame during which the refurbishment work is done. To compress the time frame during which the refurbishment work is done, many work activities had to be conducted concurrently while others had to be conducted consecutively. This does have an impact on which facilities are open and which facilities are closed.

Copacabana’s policy is to compensate guests who are adversely affected by any work conducted at the building, refurbishment or otherwise. Taking into account the complexity and difficulties associated with managing the refurbishment work, it was impossible to be absolutely certain when each work activity would start and stop, and consequently who would be affected by those work activities and to what degree.

On that basis and to begin with, a gift was given to those guests who stayed at Copacabana during the refurbishment work to demonstrate to them that it was acknowledged that they would be affected in some way. Copacabana’s is currently completing the execution of its compensation policy for those guests who stayed at Copacabana during the refurbishment work. A free stay of the same duration is being given to the guests so that they can experience first hand the excellent results that have been achieved by conducting and completing the refurbishment work.

Customer service and support is prone to miscommunication, misconceptions, mistakes, one off “bad days” and innuendo. Copacabana values its reputation in this area and it is disappointing and embarrassing to me to have to read comments such as the previous one. I personally recruit and hire all staff and comments like this are a reflection on me and I take full responsibility for the actions of my staff. In this case, my immediate reaction was to terminate the staff member’s employment. Rather than do that, I brought this comment to the staff member’s attention to give her the opportunity to defend her self and to allow me to gather the information necessary to enable me to take the necessary action for the benefit of all concerned. Taking into account all the matters in play at the time, the receptionist is still with us but I do not expect to see any more significant negative comments about any of our staff in any future balanced reviews of Copacabana.

Like Customer service and support, product standards require constant care and attention. We continually strive to maintain above average product standards relative to building cleanliness, building presentation, building repairs and maintenance, unit cleanliness, unit presentation, unit replacements and unit repairs and maintenance. There are no bed bugs at Copacabana, and I expect that there never will be as we have an excellent, proactive, pest management system in place.

Copacabana is promoted as a three storey walk-up to clearly communicate the fact that there are no lifts and that this is a factor that should be taken into account when considering staying at Copacabana.

You can rest assured that you have my personal guarantee that we will continue to strive to deliver the best value and experience that we can for anyone who chooses to stay at Copacabana, relative to the marketplace that we are positioned in.

Best Regards,

Tom TAGGART
Manager
South Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

my hubby, adult children and I wanted a 3 bed garden apartment. near ground.
when we arrived no-one was there to meet us, I rang and was told where the key was, we then discovered that the room was on the top floor/ 3rd floor and due to my disability I rang the lady back to say that I could not climb the stairs, and I also told her my friends who are elderly could not climb stairs as well, they were due the next day.. she rang the manager up and the first reply was Cant I sleep in there tonight and they would work something out the next day...I told her I CANT CLIMB THE STAIRS....otherwise I would have kept the apartment...We sat and waited for the lady Cathy to come, after a while she turned up, when I went into the office she told me I had it booked for a long time I should have known, I was told there was no other apartments available, then I was asked to pay an extra $600 for 2 apartments, 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom, she was very rude and was complaining about her grandkids, What that was about I dont know.. I said im not paying that amount and told her my family can have the 3 bedroom and I'll sleep outside. my hubby went in and was offered the other rooms for extra $180 plus deposit of $100 and was told bluntly if anything gets broken we will pay for it... as if we would break things.. very rude and not a very nice lady indeed.......................
as for my friends 2 elderly women were put on the 2nd floor....they had it booked and should have known better was managements reply to them....1 of the women was in her 80's the other had knee operation and her other knee was bad. she told my friends it was expedia's fault not there's. they were glad to leave as they felt tired, sore and sick.
while we were in our apartment they decided to paint and when they returned to do more painting I and my hubby had to tell them not to paint as I suffered an asthma attack and had trouble breathing, then the painter asked if he could paint and our reply was NO.
MY UNDERSTANDING of a garden apartment is an apartment with a garden.....
a Garden apartment VIEW is an apartment with a view.which can be upstairs or a view of a garden......the room was nice but I would NEVER EVER stay there AGAIN with the current managers, wether it was because I was morb obese or my daughters fiancee was a dark man, the rudeness was not called for............I paid 1575 plus voucher 175 =$1750.00 for a 3 bedroom room with garden not garden view................................then they wanted an extra $600 no way, but my hubby paid $180. plus $100 deposit and being told bluntly IF WE broke anything we would pay ... we went out and bought cups, plates as I felt too nervous to use there's......................not a good way to have a holiday......

• Stayed August 2010
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We spent 6 nights in these apartments and recommend them. Very clean and spacious, 2 minute walk to the beach, 10 minute walk to the shopping mall and public transport just around the corner to take you all along the Gold Coast Highway. Reception staff were also a pleasure to deal with. The only thing I found funny was the bed situation - couldn't cuddle up to my partner comfortably because the large bed is actually made up of two single mattresses.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We stayed here for 7 nights over Easter with 3 young children.

The unit we had was large with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. There was a laundry, lounge room with dining area and a kitchen. The complex also has a small indoor pool, spa and sauna and an outdoor pool area. There is undercover parking for each unit.

The best thing about Copacabana Units in Surfers Paradise is the location. It is across the road from Q1 which has some restaurants and shops, there are more restaurants at the end of the street and the patrolled beach is a 5 minute walk down the road.

The staff are the thing that brings this place down. They are brusque and unfriendly. We had to deal with staff members 4 times (including check in and check out) and each time felt like we were leaving the principals office afterwards. They seem to think all guests are delinquent teenagers (being in our late 30's & early 40's with 3 young children, I can assure you we are way past all that!).

The beds are also in need of replacement with something more suited to a commercial property. These seem like really cheap domestic versions and are old and very well used.

There is so much affordable accomodation on the Gold Coast that I would not consider staying here again simply because of the staff that we dealt with.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Copacabana Apartments Gold Coast? Share your experiences!