“Stay away!!! Durty, bad sleeping, too loud.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Trekkers Backpackers Resort to your Saves list
Trekkers Backpackers Resort
22 White Street, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4215 , Australia   |
Sao Paulo, SP
“Stay away!!! Durty, bad sleeping, too loud.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We've stayed guest on jan/2/2012 for 1 nigth. It was the worst hostel that I stayed. Kitchen, swimming pool and bathroom totally dirty, unorganized, noisy and the employee's Trekkers morning until 3am talking and laughing too loud, I could not sleep. The breakfast cereal with a little milk, which due to poor cleaning, I prefer not to eat. I'd definitely prefer to sleep in the car because the price was not cheap (AUD$80/night/2 people). I recommend that you research well before you book any hostel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

After reading reviews of this hostel on booking websites that said it was homely and a home from home I was looking forward to arriving at Trekkers since I'd been in a large hostel in the city. I couldn't have been more disappointed! Firstly the building itself looks very different from the photos I'd seen on the websites....those pictures must have been taken a long time ago. The hostel is really run down and badly in need of a revamp. Although the cleaner was visibly doing the rounds, I never felt that the place was really clean. In the bathroom attached to my room the shower had no screen/curtain so the floor was permanently soaking wet, the door to the shower didn't have a working lock and the the bathroom was shared by us and the room next door. The door leading to the bathroom does not have a deadlock which means that potentially people from the adjoining room can access your room if your room mates don't remember to push the doorlock after them (which mine never did).

My room had no window, just a sloping wall which led up to an air vent which was too high to reach. This meant that we had no control over room temperature, or the amount of noise, cigarette smoke or insects coming in from outside. The main reason I chose this hostel was that being away from the centre of Surfer's I thought I'd get more peace and quiet. Unfortunately the walls are so thin that you can hear everything going on in the corridor (and with the downstairs rooms), reception and sometimes even the kitchen. There were a few really noisy guests when I stayed there which is just pot luck, but with the paper thin walls I felt like they were permenantly in my room with me.

On the plus side the staff were really friendly and the free breakfast and two hourly shuttle were appreciated. Unfortunately even these things weren't enough to make me ever recommend this hostel to anyone. I felt like I was in cheap student accommodation and I couldn't wait to leave!

Room Tip: Avoid the downstairs rooms! The walls are so thin you can hear every conversation going on in recept...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011 via mobile

Very friendly stuff free transfer to and from surfers paradise everyday great value trips and tours, rooms and bathroom were clean, free cereal breakfast, no problem if you want to drink something with your friends before party ;D!

• Stayed October 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I worked in Trekkers in 2000 for 3 months when it was owned by a guy called skip. This was by far the best hostel that i had ever been in, sure even then it needed a lick of paint but it was super clean, friendly and had a superb atmosphere. Im going back to Australia soon and wanted to go back to Trekkers for old times sake but since reading these reviews think I`ll give it a miss....such a shame...the new owners should sell it to someone who cares about giving peopel value for money and a great time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Looking at the other reviews here, I don't understand why people don't like Trekkers, I had nothing but the best experience there. The owner Cliff was a really nice guy and willing to go out of his way to help his guests. For example, I was trying to orgazine a trip into the mountains and was unable to find a bus service to take me so Cliff drove me in the Trekkers shuttle 1.5 hours (one way) into the rainforest for a small fee. In addition to the friendly staff, the hostel itself had a very relaxed vibe. I have stayed in many hostels all over the world and it is rare to find one that feels so homely. After traveling for over 3 months on my own, it felt great to stay in a place that felt like home. The beds were comfortable, the sheets were clean, the kitchen was well equipped, and the garden/pool area were very quiet and relaxing. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Woodstock, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

I stayed here for a week which was WAY TOO LONG but I made friends with some of the staff. If it wasnt for Alicia and D I definitely would have checked out the first night after getting bitten by bed bugs. The bus drivers Gavin and Dean are awesome and will help out whenever they can. The receptionists moved me to a new room with no hestitations which was nice. The owner is all about the commisions from the day trips and surf camp. He even tried to charge his employees 5 dollars each to take them to town when the city buses were free. The pool was DISGUISTING and you couldnt see the bottom of the pool. This hostel needs a renovation as the rooms are outdated. They dont vacuum the floors just sweep them with a broom GROSS. The duvet covers dont get cleaned as they only clean the sheets and pillow cases. Its not right in Surfers so just pay the money to stay in the city close to the bars, beaches, and the crowds of people.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I was lucky enough to ask to see our bedrooms before we check in then decided to look for another place to stay, there was a bedroom with the door broken due to drunk people previous night, the lounge and kitchen area very messy and dirty, also...too far from Surfers Paradise.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Trekkers Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!