“nice clean place, some great people there!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gold Coast International Backpacker Resort

You added Gold Coast International Backpacker Resort to your Saves list
Gold Coast International Backpacker Resort
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   28 Hamilton Ave, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
manchester, england
“nice clean place, some great people there!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

was a good place to stay, got value for your money! in a good location just next to the beach and the surf club just around there corner! met some great people there in my time, one of the funniest times ever! i would stay here again anytime seen as it is only getting a better place to stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

arrived and found the place under refurbishment, had to put up with a little noise but worth it as the changes were all for the better! got to see an old room which wasnt very good but the new rooms were ok! seems some of the reviews are bit untrue, if this was as bad as stated then they are trying to fix it! would like some activities if staying again.
overall a decent experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
queensland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

This place is awful. Right from the start it was a bad experience.

There was a total of 5 of us staying there for the night and when we showed up we got 2 room keys (only 3 people allowed in a room). My friends and I go to one room and we find that it is already occupied, dirty dishes and clothes are thrown all over the beds. My other friends go to their room to find out a guy permanently lives there on his own. So we took our sheets and all our stuff back to the lobby and ask them to find us another room. The room was pre-paid as required so we couldn't go anywhere else. The manager found us a room but the lock was broken so he told us to put our luggage in his room while he fixed the door. This was about at 10:00am, we returned about 5pm to a room with no door knob or lock on it! We had no where else to go so reluctantly we agreed to stay there. The manager had said he would refund the cost of two people ($50 in total).

The room had a used water bottle and apple underneath the bed, I wouldn't dare use the pillows. I showered with clothes on and the dirtiest public bathroom you could find would be cleaner then the one there.

To this day I am still waiting for my refund (3 months later). I have called several times and I always got "I'll call the office that does all our returns and ask them to speed it up", that was the same response week after week. I called today and talk to someone and she claimed to be one of the managers. She told me I would have to contact the people who do the returns. I told her that was simply not [--] good enough and she hung up and would not answer another one of my calls. When I finally talked to someone else (Gary-another manager!) he told me I was not to abuse the staff again. He explained that he did not do the returns and they are under new management...again?! When we first stayed there 3 months ago they were under new management and it's happened again?! whats going on here. (Personally I think it's their excuse to have the horrible business and get away with it!). All in all they feel its fine to use and abuse the customers and have little respect for anyone but themselves.

Overall, horrible rooms, awfully rude staff, nothing but a bed to sleep on...this place is disgusting!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

Avoid this hostel if at all possible. We stayed here because we got a voucher through Wicked travel to stay here cheap. Big mistake. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

My friend and I were put into a 4 share with two older non-back packers who were basicly living out of the hostel. The room was way too small to have 4 people stay in it and the occupants were very messy. It didn't help that they both had bikes in the room. To give you an idea of how cramped it was, I gave up on trying to find a place to put my stuff and ended up just sleeping with my backpack on my bed with me.

There was an ensuite bathroom, a balcony, and a tv in the room, which sound pretty sweet at first, but not so much here. The balcony was pretty gross (filth from the room mates), and the bathroom was even worse. There wasn't even a door for the bathroom, just a curtain. That's not even mentioning the toilet that didnt flush properly...

As was mentioned in other reviews, the staff was useless (i requested a pillow and sheets, was told they would send some up, and it never happened), and the kitchen was very poor.

It definetly is a place I can look back on and laugh about, I suppose that is the silver lining, but honestly, save yourself the hassle and just don't stay here.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GCIB, Manager at Gold Coast International Backpacker Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2008
The Property has recently changed Management, Policies and proceedures have been put in place to reflect an upmarket Backpackers and the premises have been given a new lease on life, Each room is complemented with its own ensuite and balcony, we are the closest Backpackers to the beach and the closest Backpackers to surfers paradise shopping district, onsite we have a fully licensed bar, coin-op laundry and free hotspot internet for our guests, Each day provides a variation of entertainment, and our friendly helpful staff can arrange everything from tours and transfers to help finding work or simply offering all a consistant level of great service. Welcome back to the new and improved GCIB.
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

The Gold Coast International Backpackers!!! Dont waste your money!!

I stayed here for two nights in a double room and it was filthy! You have to wade past the people boozing and smoking to get in the entrance. The staff are unfriendly, they get you to check the room first as they dont give refunds, on glance it looked ok, but later discovered the sheets were stained, there were big hairs in the bed and no blanket. The ensuite bathroom had no toilet paper, no lid to the toilet and it was dirty. The tv hardly worked. The kitchen was the worst part, filthy dirty, the fridge didnt work so all the food in it was rotting, $40 worth of shopping we bought went off in less than 24 hrs. The smell was overpowering nearly made me vomit several times. Do not stay here.

filidelphio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

This place is unbelievable....NOT in a good way. We found this place on the internet - the pictures are very unaccurate to what is actually there. The time we spent there just went from bad to worse - starting with taking our own linen to our room and making our own bed - which had loose screws on either side so they creaked and didnt stay up right. Bugs everywhere.....bathroom disgusting - yellow pillows and stained sheets. This was the inital apearence of the room - there were loud parties every night - so when you wanted to go to your room you had to walk past and through the crowds of rubbish and people to be given gross and rude sexist remarks. Finding staff is amongst the drinking when we wanted to get coins changed for the washing machine. How ever it is safety that i worry about as we got robbed in our sleep with someone climbing onto our balcony and coming into our room - police werent even surprised about this - they had been called here twice THAT night already......the staff not even apologetic about this at all!!!! Something is not right here - clearly its happened before and likely to happen again. Please take care when looking for accomodation......this is definetly one to avoid!!!

• Stayed March 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sheffield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

There are some places you stay which become places that you look back on and laugh, however are not the least bit funny at the time. The Gold Coast International Backpackers Resort was quite comfortably the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.

Firstly, our room was awful. It was completely empty bar a terrible bed and a tiny wooden box which fell apart if you put a set of keys on it. It was also completely filthy. There was dust everywhere and the pillowcases were brown (they were meant to be white). The worst thing however was the smell. If you left the room for ten minutes when you walked back in the stench hit you hard. It reeked of damp and was so bad we couldn't bear to shut the balcony door. We complained about this and the man on reception said there was nothing he could do but he would bring us a can of air freshener. He didn't.

I was also woken up one night by a cockroach crawling across my bed.

So that is the room. The rest of the hostel was equally bad. The entire place was filthy and the kitchen was unbeleivable. The bins were not emptied the entire time we were there. Putting anything in them was an art in balance. The fridge was full of gone off food and you had to hunt high and low for every piece of crockery you might want.

The staff were also terrible. It felt like I was staying in a place run by school kids. No one was ever around and when they were they were sitting around drinking and offering no useful service whatsoever. We almost missed our bus on the day we checked out because the man on reception turned up 15 minutes late to open up.

It was not even cheap. How on earth places like this can charge people money to stay in them is beyond me. I would pay good money never to set foot in the place again. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! This is not a made up review - it really was that bad.

You have been warned.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Gold Coast International Backpacker Resort? Share your experiences!