“Not a good time” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cheers Backpackers

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Surfers Paradise
Cheers Backpackers
You added Cheers Backpackers to your Saves list
8 Pine Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia   |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Not a good time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were desperate for accommodation down the coast during New Years so booked this as a last resort. The beds were just bunk beds and I guess the general sleeping arrangements were okay but nothing was very clean otherwise. Showers/sinks/toilets all stank and I didn't trust the cooking there either. Staff are all just party animals who have stayed on longer for free and there seems to be an abundance of UK backpackers. If drugs/drinking/constant partying and uncleanliness is your thing this is probably the place to be. However the nights we did want to party they got us free entry and a free drink at every club which was an added bonus!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This place is just for the party backpacker, the staff are all backpackers staying longer for free and the cleanliness is appauling. I don't think the showers or rooms have seen a clean for months. The kitchen fridges had food a month out of date. Whilst staying a fight broke out and there was blood all over the floors! Not one I'd recommend.

• Stayed January 2012
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Cheers Backpackers by far has been the best Hostel/Backpackers I have stayed in Within Australia.
It has friendly, helpful staff, clean toilets, and showers. A fun relaxed atmosphere for a night in, or for the party animals they have different deals with a nightclub each night!
A fully furnished kitchen, beautiful pool area and a great little bar setup with 2 pool tables.
Would highly recommend Cheers to anyone! Gonna miss calling this place home!! xoxo

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

It was nice to be picked up from the bus station and taken to our hostel but the girl who picked us up looked pretty miserable about it. When we got there they were quick to make us pay for our room as soon as we stepped through the door, maybe because they knew that if we had a chance to look around we would give this dive a miss. The other guests were chavy, our room was dingey, cramped and dirty and don't even get me started on the state of the bathrooms. My friend and I were in tears and definately didn't feel safe here. Thankfully I am staying in a lovely hostel now so my trip hasn't been completely ruined.

• Stayed September 2011
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

When friends ask, 'so what was your best & worst hostel?'... Well, this, without a moment's hesitation is the worst hostel.

I echo all of the sentiments of the comments underneath, namely; extremely rude, obnoxious and arrogant Millwall (I believe) supporting owner, filthy amenities, filthy rooms, beds plagued with bed lice, uncomfortably warm rooms etc

Would not wish it on my worst enemy to stay in such a hole

Avoid at all costs

Room Tip: Don't get a room. Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

This hostel is without a doubt the dirtiest, smelliest, most poorly serviced, run down dump I have every had to put up with. The rooms are small and musty, the beds lumps and uncomfortable. It took 20 min to be served at the front desk, and we were shocked to see how expensive it was for what you got. We hardly slept because of the noise (having got to bed at 3 am i would sleep like a log usually). All amenities are poorly services with the kitchen small and smelly, the showers were dirty and not cleaned once while i was there and the pool cold and uninviting. It would have been cheaper and more comfortable to hire a car and sleep on the back seat. NEVER.

Room Tip: To get the best room do not stay at this slum.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

When I arrived at 'Cheers' I cried. It was so bad I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. Our room wasn't ready till 6pm, and it only provided enough room for us to stand up in single file. It was so ridiculously hot that I thought we were going to run out of air in the middle of the night. We had one fan type object, which feebly blew hot air at the two bottom bunks. I was on the top. It was not pretty.

The rooms were actually the best bit.

The kitchen was swarming with sneaky cockroaches. If you braved it past the roaches you'd be even more disappointed to find that Cheers has a total for 3 forks, 2 knives and about 3 mugs - without handles. The kitchen is so small that it only provides enough room for about 4 people - which clearly doesn't work when the hostel has about 80 rooms. Most of the time we had to drink our coffee/tea out of cereal bowls, and eat with our hands. It was dire.

The pool was alright.

The bathrooms were submerged under a sea of toilet paper and always filthy. I found a condom in there one afternoon, it was delightful.

To make matters worse we were plagued by a creepy jedward type character who would force us to drink everynight. true.

We paid 240 aussie dollars for 1 week and I can honestly say it was the worst money I've ever spent! The internet didn't work, unless you wanted to pay $15 an hour for wireless if you had your own laptop. No thanks.

The only reason we didn't pack up and run for the hills was because it was schoolies week and Surfers P was booked up.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

THE END.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Cheers Backpackers? Share your experiences!