“Great fun but snobbish and unfriendly instructor, go elsewhere.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Water sports, Adventure
Brisbane, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Great fun but snobbish and unfriendly instructor, go elsewhere.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We rang up and reserved our place for a lesson and Brad said there is vacancy at ..... pm, I then asked if there was another available time slot. He curtly replied: I will let you know when I can do the lesson. This was the 1st initial phone call and very unwelcoming to say the least.. he was on the border line of being obnoxious.

The day arrived, it was not hard to find the beach or the instructor. We had to fill in paperwork for legal reasons etc. Many other instructors of different activities would usually take this time to make small talk with their students to gain rapport. Brad asked what country I was from and usually I would make it a fun thing for some one just to have a guess, another way to generate small talk or conversation to start a class... but he curtly replied: it's ok.. there is no need for me to guess.. this was said with a smug look and that he expected me to just voluntarily say what country I was from..... as I was in his class and having him for the next 90 mins as my instructor, I didn't want to create any unhappiness between us so I just said where I came from... to which he promptly replied a few words in chinese..... and then he went on about what languages he could speak... in the whole time... he kept using the same mandarin words again and again.. Sorry .. but for someone to say that they are able to speak a language, they MUST be able to hold a conversation rather than just be able to utter a few words randomly.. afterall , if he interacts with tourists all the time, he would have picked up words such as hello, thank you, no problem in different languages...

Back to the teaching method... we started when the whole group arrived and he started to tell us about how this activity came about... and then he dived into what he can do... he is a master of tai chi... he has this cert, that cert, he is a master of this and a master of that etc.... how much boasting can one man go on and on at the start of a lesson? the women in the class just rolled their eyes ! Only an insecure person would need to validate himself to others that much!

After that, we did a little Tai Chi and then off to the water we went... after the initial 5 minute lesson on where to bend your knees, how to paddle etc, you are off on your own. He never once came to paddle with us, he just sat there under the tree, in the shade, there was no interaction between the instructor and the students for till about 20 mins before finishing time... at which brad said that he will come and paddle with us for the last bit but then he just wandered off and by the last 5 mins, he was back with us holding a camera for our photos.

All in all, you are paying for the initial 5 minute lesson, the rental of the board and paddle, plus if you are to listen to someone talking about how great he is and has an attitude... there are a few other instructors that we have tried and they are certainly a lot more hands on with us and friendlier too. By the end of the lesson, all of us just wanted to get out of there rather than hear him talk more about himself and trying to let us know that if we wanted to host a company function or a party, he can do more for us or cater to our needs...

If you get to do this lesson on a deal, go for it... otherwise, save your ears.. blowing your own trumpet just shows how insecure Brad is with himself.. Pathetic!

Visited April 2014
Brad H, Owner at Brad Holmes Surf Coaching, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Hi,
I do opologise that you thought I was snobbish and unfriendly.
I honestly don't know how or why this came about - no one has accused me of being this way.
If you would like to personally call, and discus the matter, I'm open and aimable to do so.

Certainly, I don't want you going away with a bad experience.

As I may have mentioned to you, and the other students: " All I want to do for you, is have fun, and learn some new skills."

You did mention - that you had fun.

If you would liek to come back in the future, and try the activity again, please call me.

Sincirely,

Gold Coast
“Great fun with great instructor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had great time doing SUP lesson with Brad. He's so friendly and funny. Budd's beach is so calm and nice, perfect spot to learn SUP. Recommend everyone to have a try. Bumbles cafe has nice coffee too.

Visited October 2013
Brad H, Owner at Brad Holmes Surf Coaching, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Thank you kindly for your review.
Thank you also, about your comment for being a great instructor!
Looking forward to seeing you next.

Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Heaps of fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We had our stand up paddle boarding lesson with Brad today. It was enormous fun and Brad was a great instructor. He was relaxed and friendly. He had us out on the water and standing up in no time. Budd's Beach is a good spot to learn and also just hang out with a grassy park running along the canal, shady trees and the gorgeous Bumbles Cafe for a coffee or meal and Suga Suga for a browse.

Thank you kindly for review.
I'm glad you had so much fun, and value for your time.
Looking forward to seeing you again!

Pueblo, Colorado
35 attraction reviews
“A must try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I found a great deal for two lessons, and we loved every minute of it! It was the first time I'd been, and U was able to stand up in the first try. The location is perfect, too,

Brad is a great instructor and takes the utmost care in ensuring the participants' safety. This is a GREAT stepping stone to surfing if hitting the waves seems all too intimidating to start with. We're definitely going to take this up as a hobby sport!

Thank you kindly for your review.
I'm glad that you consider the activity - "a must try!"
Looking forward to seeing you again!