“Stay Away - Counter Staff - was unbelievably rude” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Beachside

Save Saved
You added Chateau Beachside to your Saves list
Chateau Beachside
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Corner The Esplanade And Elkhorn Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney, Australia
“Stay Away - Counter Staff - was unbelievably rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I quickly booked Sunday afternoon online for 4 days, flying in that evening outside front desk hours approx 6.30pm, got a bad vibe from staff on entry, "like how dare you come this late and annoy me". Tues evening finished business consulting conference late and went to dinner with colleagues and not until got to hotel I realised I had misplaced/lost key to my room. I press after hours button and call centre/operator answers and to my surprise says will cost $50 for them to call hotel manager and to get me into hotel room. I say "what, surely this is part of the service of a hotel". I was totally gobsmacked. Had no choice, or sleep on beach, so manager/care taker lady opens and give me a key after and only after I gave her $50 cash "for getting her out of bed" unbelievable. And to top it off on my departure she wanted $100 for the lost key........... Now as a marketing and business consultant this hotel either needs new staff or better systems cause they just lost one customer. And for every one unhappy customer they will share it with 7 people.............. my advice............ there is so much choice in Surfers.........go find a friendly place to stay at......... hope this helps.

Room Tip: rooms a bit out dated
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The location of the hotel is perfect and budget wise. You can check google maps, and it's only one block away from Cavill Ave and Surfer's paradise. You can find nearby shops, convenience stores, restaurants from the resort (less than 100m walk). Right across from the resort, you can swim on the beach. The location is great! We're located at 7th floor and the view is perfect!

Pros:
About the room, I would say that it's good and clean. It's big for the two of us.
Lots of TV channel.
With hot and cold water.
With fridge, microwave, toaster, utensils.
With towels, face towels, 2 small soaps, and 1 small shampoo for our 5 day stay.

Cons:
No aircon or heater, but it did not bother us. It might not good to stay here if the weather is too hot or cold.
The bed, they might need some change as I can feel that the center of the bed is a lil deep already. The comforter and sofa color is a lil dark and looks dirty, it would be better to have light colors.
Curtains, they need to make some improvement to cover all the windows. It's very bright at 4:30am.
No room cleaning in our 5 day stay.

We enjoyed our stay because we really love the location and we will stay again. About the room comments, it really don't bother us. But it would be great if they can improve it for customer's comfort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chateau2012, Manager at Chateau Beachside, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thanks for your review and comments. It is always plaesing when Guests include positive aspects of a property whn submitting a review, and we thank you for including them in your review. We are aware of, and currently working on resolving several of your concerns. Although we have a 3.5 star rating, our position, location, on-site facilities and price do offer excellent value for savvy travellers. In respect of your comment about "no room cleaning during your stay", we, like the majority of apartment complexes include weekly servicing only in our pricing- however our Welcome Letter given to all Guests at Check-in highlights that Guests can avail of extra Housekeeping Sevices for a nominal charge any time during their stay. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back. As of today, we now offer Hourly and Daily Rentals of Laptop Computers, Tablets and Kindles (wth over 50 pre-loaded book titles).
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Booking accommodation in Surfers Paradise can be a bit of a nightmare if you are a looking for somewhere budget conscious but still want to feel as though you're staying somewhere fit for humans.

Enter Chateau Beachside... After spending a significant time online weeding through those pesky sites that offer you cheap rates but the minimum stay is 3+ nights I happened across Chateau Beachside and was surprised at their reasonable rates for two nights. By some stroke of luck we'd also just missed the V8s (love the V8s, just... well ask the locals).

After arriving late in the afternoon from Brisbane, check-in was relatively painless, and yes the $200 security bond was taken. It is stated on their website, and I don't know if it's just me but it does seem a little steep. That being said it is Surfers and so it probably is necessary. (I'm not sure if it's stated on any third-party booking sites, so it's something you may want to check. Also we checked out on Wednesday morning and the bond happened to return to the CC on Friday. That may not happen for everyone.)

Our room was on the sixth level with ocean views (not facing the ocean [poolside] but there was no obstruction in our way) and although it was windy in Surfers, the sliding doors were open most of the time we stayed, without the wind gusting in (although it feels a little like that when you enter and exit the rooms).

The room was quite clean, including the bathroom, athough I did find the rattan-like side tables accumulated dust, which they will do. They definitely needed a good wipe down. I did forget to tell reception when we checked out that their cleaners probably needed to move the couch and vaccuum under it as there were lollies and a pencil. (No, not left by me.)

The rooms don't quite have a balcony, but that's not something that bothered me. Ours was a studio room with a kitchen and the bedding was clean and comfortable.

Overall the Chateau Beachside—while looking modern in the reception—is a little dated, but it holds up well. I used the tiny gym they had while I was there and the treadmill worked fine (the sign on the wall was hidden by the instruction sheets hanging from the wall but you need a key from reception), but that area (games/gym) is a little depressing looking, but that could just have been the fact that the day was overcast and I was the only person there.

We ate at the Surfers Sandbar downstairs, and the fare was standard.

The only downside I found was that on the morning we checked out, one of us wanted a buffet breakfast and the other didn't, meaning that we couldn't go in as we both weren't having the buffet breakfast. I understand why, but it did make me feel a little like a criminal not being allowed (in case I steal some breakfast), but that's just me.

Lattes were reasonable, and I enjoyed my freshly squeezed OJ.

Reception was very helpful and friendly on checkout. They also stored our luggage before we left Surfers, without a problem.

All-in-all, I would recommend Chateau Beachside and I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking time to write a comprehensive Review. It is pleasing that you have enjoyed our facilities and will stay with us when you return to the Gold Coast. Our accommodations are 3.5 star, but our facilities and location and pricing do offer what we believe is excellent value for money. In respect of our $200 Security Deposit, if a Guest loses a Room Key we need to change the lock immediately for security purposes - often within several hours of departure and before the next Guest arrives. The special security locks and new keys require us to use a specific locksmith firm and their charges reflect the after-hours and urgent nature of replacement. I would be plaesed to show you the bill for a new-installed lock next time you are here, and I am certain you will understand the $200 Security Deposit is taken for good and valid reason. The Treadmill Key is kept at Reception as we have had several instances where it has been left running and burnt out the motor. There is no charge for the use of our facilities, which include a small fitness room, games room, spa, sauna and steam room - or on-site parking.
In respect of your comments about the restaurant, we, as you probably realise have no control or input into the on-site Restaurant operation - it is owned and managed by an independent operator.
Launceston, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Thought it was cheap because it was off peak season. No it was cheap because it is cheap. Good location, tiny reception, small lifts, pokey little rooms, minimalist crockery, weather beaten windows and a very challenging shower. Shower head will stay up if the water pressure is high enough and nose dive randomly. Advertised free wifi but not accessible in the higher rooms. $200 out of the credit card is annoying and gives an idea of the clientele it attracts. Not a place to go for a honeymoon. More like a place you go when you don't want to be there. Strictly for business.

Stayed October 2012
From your other TripAdvisor Reviews it seems obvious that you have an issue with all of your accommodations. Your review is not a true reflection of our property and I really did wonder if you had the correct property. Our Reception Area is extremely large and open, our lifts are definitely not pokey (and I confirmed this with Kone Elevators) and our Rooms are large - most Guests and Travellers would readily agree that buildings built 20 years of more ago (which ours is), are much larger than those built in the past 15-20 years. In fact a recent Guest Review highlights the size of our rooms. Our Welcome Letter which is given to all Guests states "if you have any concerns during your stay please let our reception staff know immediately". Had you reported your concerns, our maintenance personnel would have checked your shower rose and water pressure. You forgot to mention that we are located opposite Surfers Paradise Beach, are in the City Centre and have a very large on-site heated pool as well as no-fee on-site parking and many other facilities and services that result in Value for Travellers. We openly state that our accommodations are a minimum 3.5 star, and we know that we offer value for money. The reason for the $200 Security Deposit is discussed in our response to the Guest Review of 27 October.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is one of the most amazing places I have stayed in. It may not be a 5 star hotel but the views and location is more like 10 star. The staff were very accommodating and friendly and the facilities were great! There is nothing more you need than what they have to offer. It is located in the heart of Surfers Paradise, with a 100 metre walk to Cavill area. It is close to everything - buses, restaurants, shops, etc. The most outstanding feature of this hotel is its view. We were in a studio hotel room on Level 16 and it was just unbelievable. When we first walked in to the place, our breaths were taken away! We had 180 views of the beach and ocean! One whole side of the hotel room was glass. It looked over ALL the beach as well as the city. It was exceptional! I will definitely be staying there again and again and again and again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thankyou very much for taking the time to submit your review. It is so very pleasing when Guests enjoy their stay and especially when they have enjoyed all that we offer, including not just our facilities and services but our envious location - opposite a patrolled section of Surfers Paradise Beach, yet in the City Centre.
We now offer Hourly and daily Rental of Laptop Computers and Tablets, which has been introduced since your stay. Our aim is to offer the best value accommodation on the Gold Coast, and reviews such as yours provide much satisfaction to us. Thanks again, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy even more facilities and Guest Services which we intend to introduce in the coming months.
Maldon, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Have just returned from another stay at Chateau. Our studio apartment was clean, comfy and with a great view. Came up for the car race and had a wonderful time at this centralized resort. Staff were very friendly and it was great value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to submit a Review. We appreciate your positive comments, and look forward to welcoming you again soon. We are currently introducing new Guest Services which we hope will ensure your next stay is even better. Its great to have positive comments, but even better when they are from a previous Guest who chooses our property over the many hundreds available. We think we have a great property - 3.5 star maybe, but unbeatable location, competitive pricing, and excellent facilities..and its great when Guests appreciate it and enjoy it. Thanks again.
Belgrave, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

First: Got to the hotel and advised needed to pay 200 dollar security deposit.. advised the staff that no where on the booking did it state that, only stated that you needed to show a valid credit card and id.. was told that thats hotel policy and basically pay it or leave.. when getting to the room the well assume the previous guest stuff was still in the bedside table draws including unused pads and condoms "lovely"... the back of the toilet seat was broken.. when they state that you get a balcony well you dont basically you can open the sliding doors and lean onto the rail but other then that you cant walk out onto it as Ive only got size 7 feet and there were too big to fit onto the balcony thats how small it was.. shower well forget it the water pressure is so bad that an ant would be struggling to feel wet... Then when we checked out, I mention the $200 dollar holding deposit was alot and they should really advise people of the amount before they stay there.. i was informed that " this is to make sure that the credit card is valid and not a fraud card" .. you know how i mention that my booking stated id needed well no one checked my id so that 200 dollars could of been put on anyone card.. then when I asked how long will it be till i get the 200 dollars back, i was told aw just a couple of days... i work for a bank and know that it takes 4 working days for the money to drop off not a couple of days.. stay clear of this joint it is run down the staff are rude and dont believe in customer service there are far nicer places to stay at for the same price... dont let them wreak your gold coast hoilday like there did ours .. 200 dollars is alot to hold from someone on a hoilday!

Room Tip: Tip for a good room, go anywhere but here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
As hard as we try, we know that we cannot or will not please all Guests - and for different reasons. As the Manager, I know that our staff did not say most of the statements you attribute to them. We have a small staff, and all have been here a considerable time, and we have written procedures to prevent inaccurate and ambiguous comments and statements by our staff. Your comments about the room and property are debiberately inaccurate and misleading. All of the On Line Travel Booking Agencies that we sell through, as well as our own website state that a $200 Security Deposit is required. If you booked with us direct, or with Booking.com, your Confirmation Receipt also states very clearly that this deposit needs to be paid at Check-in.Pity you did not get to enjoy our large heated pool, the spa, sauna, steam room, views or the absolute beachfront and city centre location that the majority of our Guests appreciate and enjoy.

Been to Chateau Beachside? Share your experiences!